Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

delusional

5K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  scjbob 
#1 ·
I rode 450-600 pound street bikes 30 years ago.

Returning to riding and really "think" I want a Goldwing, but...

I just completed the MFS training. No problems really, but...

The slow-speed tight figure 8's in a confined perimeter (and to a lesser degree tight 90 degree turns from a stop) challenged me a little on a small 250cc cruiser-style bike.

I was able to do the maneuvers. I never dumped the bike. A few time I put t foot down (something I doubt I could get away with on a Goldwing), and I went a little outside the perimeter cones several times.

Now I am doubting my thinking to get an 850-pound Goldwing.

I am never going to return, so I don't know why I am even posting.

Thanks!

James

See less See more
#2 ·
The Goldwing is one of the easiest bikes to ride (IMHO). That is, if you apply proper riding techniques. Don't be intimidated by the bulk of the Wing. It is mostly all plastic. Do PLP and go slow. Increase your practice turns gradually. And, learn the easy and proper way to pick up a GW when it goes down. And it will. Keep yourself centered and balanced when stopped. That is when most tip over. Don't let it intimidate you. Slowly practice your newly learned skills and you will be just fine..... Jim

#3 ·
One of my mantras in life is, things are never as bad as we fear them to be. But hear I am letting fear creep in. Even a used Goldwing at $9,000...it would be heartbreaking for it to dump and get scared...and there's the whole pride and ago =-) Guess I need to get over it.

#15 ·
Take a look at the IDMWT thread in the Lounge on the forum. Believe me when I tell you that you won't be for first to drop your Wing nor will you be the last. They lay over nicely and with the right technique are easy to pick back up again....

#4 ·
I was 30+ years without riding when I got my Gold Wing. I had never ridden a large cruiser and also questioned whether I should start up again on something this large. I spent time in a local parking lot in the evenings doing tight turns and now I’m very comfortable on it. As previously mentioned, most drops happen when you’re stopped, mine did. I was amazed at how efficient the engine guards did their job. No scratches or damage and my ego healed nicely.

Get the GW. You’ll love it.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
So it all comes down to your confidence.

Like most things, practice, practice, practice. Weight is not an issue. Really, are you going to carry that Honda Rebel or ride it?

I think a GL1500 or GL1800 are very easy to handle due to their low center of gravity and low levels of noise and vibration. Add linked brakes, hydraulic clutch and reverse to the mix and you'll know why some think of it as an Old Man's Bike. Fuel injection on the GL1800 is one less thing to worry about (no choke). Do not even consider using the radio or cruise control until you have confidence in the basics.

That said, perhaps find yourself a $800 bike in the local classifieds. Look for a wing after you have built your confidence.

#8 ·
I love my Wing but I came off a Harley. I agree with your thoughts that a lighter bike to start would be a good idea. I did it. My wife did it. My sone did it. It was helpful. You can make mistakes on a lighter bike and recover easier than with a heavy one. Where do you live. I have a VTX1300 in perfect shape for $3500 that would be a good starter. It is my wife’s and she just upgraded to a Harley.

#9 ·
I rode with several guys that had their first bike and all were Wings. Granted, that was back in the day of the 1100 (lighter, smaller) but back then, that one whole lotta bike. But all of them had no issues with them. Sure lots of them dropped them in parking lots and at intersections, but you just have to swallow that pride and pick it up and move on. I've really lost track of how many times I've had to pick mine up, and I just do it.
Like the crew mentions, it's all about practice and confidence. Start slow and simple and work up in the maneuvers, then get into tighter and more challenging things, as well as emergency swerves, braking and the "holy s**t" scenario. It pays off every season for me, I practice every spring all the things I've learned and been taught over 40+ years of riding.

#10 ·
The figure 8 box in the MSF course is, I think, 20 feet wide. That is for the class where you use the small beginner bikes provided by MSF. The advanced class, where you use your own bike (and plenty of people bring their Goldwings) the box is wider. I think it is 24 feet, in recognition of the fact that bigger bikes generally require larger turning area. Experienced riders can complete the exercise with a Goldwing in the smaller box, but I'm not one of them. When I was teaching the classes, I would do the bigger box on my Kawasaki Voyager XII. That extra four feet makes a huge difference. I dropped my Goldwing on Wednesday. No damage to the bike other than my pride. My wife was on board and it didn't even phase her.

#11 ·
well James how often do you plan on doing figure eights out on the road? u-turns can be practiced in any empty parking lots and watching a few you tube vids can be very helpful also. I may not ride my wing much anymore but i'm glad I got it and the chance to hit the road on it

Reactions: Check6
#12 · (Edited)
It's just my opinion, but I believe the MSF parking lot maneuvers are pretty much useless. I've been riding since 1973 and was forced to take these courses several times over the years in my military career. I'm not knocking the course itself, because they provide some very good info for new riders. However, and I voiced this numerous times during these courses, I'd rather you take me out on the highway and teach me to save my butt out there. If I want to put my foot down while maneuvering in a parking lot I will. Don't need to prove anything there.

The Wing is very easy to creep around in parking lots. Much easier than my last three Harley touring bikes. Just take your time and try not to get into a situation while parking that could get you into trouble. Think through it before doing it.

The best education I ever received on a motorcycle was attending Superbike School in California. Didn't use the education for much racing, but it taught me a whole lot more about motorcycle dynamics in motion than I ever learned in a parking lot.

#16 ·
You didn't state your age, stature, or physical condition at this point in time. All of these are factors in controlling a #900+ motorcycle. For someone who's been away for motorcycling for a lot of years a mid-sized bike such as a used cruiser might be a better choice for returning to riding. After you ride it for several months you can gauge whether a bike as big as a Goldwing is a good option for you. When I was teaching classes back in the 80s and 90s the demographic for the highest number of motorcycle fatalities by age bracket were younger people in their teens and 20s. Now it's older riders returning after perhaps decades away from motorcycling. Your MSF course will put you a leg up on them as most don't/won't take training. A smaller, lighter and easier to control motorcycle is quite often a good choice before you have reestablished your riding skills.

#17 ·
I think the only thing to be careful about on the Wing is it has a very responsive throttle compared to smaller bikes. So, when you pull out of a parking lot or making a corner observe any loose gravel on the pavement because it is easy to spin the rear wheel while accelerating away. But linked braking, ABS if you choose it is great for stopping. And, I know that if you learned to stop with foot on the foot brake and left foot down before right foot, then your balance is great and you won't have a problem in slow speed maneuvers. You also learned to look where you want to go, not down on that curb during a U-turn thinking you don't want to hit it. The bike will follow your eyes.

#18 ·
The only thing during the course I did not like and I taught the maneuvers at Minot AFB one year helping the Safety guys teach the course was the progressive turning radius going in a circle. No where is that needed unless you are part of a drill team. Just remember your push-pull technique out on the road and you can negotiate any tight or gentle turn/curve. I've been riding since 1964 and now at 71 years old, I find my reflexes are not what they were at 16 but I do use everything I ever learned in those courses, I think.

#19 ·
watch the videos of 1800 goldwing maneuvers and changing the rear tire and you will see what they look like laying on their side. I have dropped mine in the parking lot at a slow roll...... nothing happens to the bike..... it WILL NOT lay down far enough to hit a mirror. IF an aftermarket highway pegs are mounted in a certain way....they might get broken but that is it.

Best way to overcome the torque of the 1800 and it jerking around at low speeds..... do it in 2nd gear, ride the clutch a little, and trail brake it with the foot brake, lean the bike over and just set up on top of it (counter lean). Just a little practice....and it all becomes quite easy.

But yeah, she is a heavy girl...... don't try to catch it with by putting a foot down..... just let it fall... brush off your ego... pick it up and go some more....... early Sunday morning practice in an empty parking lot does wonders....plus no eye witnesses to any drops.

I wish I would not have wasted the year on the 750..... but it did give me time to find the perfect Wing

#21 ·
Tight turns are easier if you remember to sit as forward as possible, and hang your butt cheek out to the opposite side of the turn. 2nd gear, slipping clutch and dragging rear brake. The "look the way you want the bike to go" naturally puts the proper butt cheek in the proper place. As you look to the left, over your left shoulder, your right cheek will hang out to the right(high side on left turn). This also places weight on outer foot peg. After a while, you should be able to go full lock turn. Keeping driveline tight with front end compressed(forward weight shift) keeps the bike up. It feels totally wrong at first.
I rode observed trials for about 10 years when I was younger. The bike was much lighter, but all the same moves apply. Because of the weight difference it takes a more radical offset to get less return.
I ride with a 70 year old ex flatracker, his balance is insane. SO age is no excuse, you jut need to ride more.

#25 · (Edited)
Well it was not level, sloped upwards to the curb seen. And he backed into it with his car knocking it into his wife's car. the damage on her car was not cheap. As the bike antenna slapped and cracked her windshield. And the Bar-end cap dented and scratched her door.
And they are not slicks just poor conditions for taking a photo. Still had over 4/32 on both tires. And the only hard part getting the girl up, was getting over it in between car and seat. Then she popped right up.

I now have a permanent protected parking spot for my wing.

#27 ·
Not delusional but obtainable

I had last ridden in 1972 and that was a 1969 Honda 350 Street Scrambler that I bought when I was 17. My wife had passed over a dozen years ago and one day I passed a junk shop that had a 70’s Honda 750 super sport in the yard. It got me thinking, “If not now, when?” But that 750 didn’t look comfortable and, quite frankly, I had a few old injuries that seem to be leaning towards arthritis (that dirty A word) and I was concerned if it would hurt to be in the saddle for more than 30 minutes. So I took the plunge and keep the investment low. I bought an 800 pound GL1200 Aspencade in late August of this year and took the MSF course. The 1987 Aspencade only had 57,xxx miles on it and runs great (estate sale). Best decision ever. It’s more comfortable than my couch and I can ride as long as my seat endures (how can that soft seat get so hard after 3 hours?) My mantra now is “If not now, when?” I’ll never be younger than I am now nor in better health. I just have to carry a toothpick with me when I ride. I’m grinning so much I need it to pick the bugs out of my teeth:grin.https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/images/GoldwingOwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png

#28 ·
I had dreamed of owning a GoldWing for 30 years, when I finally decided to go for it. In those 30 years I had not ridden any bike; my last bike had been a Suzuki 550. In 2009 I purchased a 1985 GL1200. I was nervous since I hadn't ridden for so long; my plan was to ease into it -- you know, ride a couple of miles for the first couple of weeks, then gradually move up to 10 or fifteen mile for a while, and at no time getting onto the interstate or the city (I live in the country). Well, right off the line, the bike handles like a dream and my "plan" went to the dogs! I got on my 1200 and off I went, and never looked back -- and within the week was riding it to work (42 miles one way via the interstate). I love my Wing! My advice -- go for it!

#29 ·
Glad I found this thread for two reasons, I quit riding in '78 and the bug has bitten me again. My brother has an '06 Classic and his wife has an '06 Victory Vegas, they have different off days so he called and wanted me to go riding with him. I got my permit and a new helmet and started riding, I was apprehensive at first, but after riding in his neighborhood and a couple of short tips, I can't get enough. I wondered if I could handle such a big bike after being away from riding so long, especially that I am 75 and have a hip and both knees replaced.
I'm keeping an eye out for a '95 to '00 goldwing and the last post, "if not now, when", is pushing me toward now.

Looks like you were typing the same time as me. Your story sounds familiar to me, I sold my Z1 900 and trailer in '78 so starting to ride again, I was nervous too for a few short rides. The big Classic was a handful at first, but i have gotten comfortable and can ride relaxed, now I wish my brother had more days off.

#31 ·
Depending on where you live terrain could also be an issue. I live in the mountains and also started riding again after over 30 years on a gold wing. My driveway is a fairly steep uphill turning onto the street that also continues uphill with a curb between the street and driveway. On my way out to practice in a parking lot the wing contacted the curb and startled me. As a poor reflex reaction I put my foot down during the turn and the bike fell on me. I am now sitting here having broken both bones in my ankle with screws and plates holding me together. I am not sure how I will proceed if I recover although I did have an instructor suggest I start with a smaller bike until I get my skills back up to par although that will not change my driveway.

#32 ·
My experience is a bit like yours. I went through 3 bikes when I was younger (in the 70's and early 80's)...Honda 450 twin, Kawasaki 750 H2 and Kawasaki 900 Z1. I bought my 08 Wing 18 months ago and was at first a little intimidated by it's size and weight. However, after only 3 months my confidence level was much higher...due to some parking lot practice. Now, I'm happy that I went with the wing without having to buy and then sell a mid-size bike. This thing is a beauty to ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.