Too ambitious (even delusional) to go straight into a Goldwing? - Honda Goldwing Forums
 28Likes

Old 10-18-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Too ambitious (even delusional) to go straight into a Goldwing?

I rode 450-600 pound street bikes 30 years ago.

Returning to riding and really "think" I want a Goldwing, but...

I just completed the MFS training. No problems really, but...

The slow-speed tight figure 8's in a confined perimeter (and to a lesser degree tight 90 degree turns from a stop) challenged me a little on a small 250cc cruiser-style bike.

I was able to do the maneuvers. I never dumped the bike. A few time I put t foot down (something I doubt I could get away with on a Goldwing), and I went a little outside the perimeter cones several times.

Now I am doubting my thinking to get an 850-pound Goldwing.

Maybe I am being too ambitious (even delusional) to go straight into a Goldwing?

Thanks!

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 11:22 PM

The Goldwing is one of the easiest bikes to ride (IMHO). That is, if you apply proper riding techniques. Don't be intimidated by the bulk of the Wing. It is mostly all plastic. Do PLP and go slow. Increase your practice turns gradually. And, learn the easy and proper way to pick up a GW when it goes down. And it will. Keep yourself centered and balanced when stopped. That is when most tip over. Don't let it intimidate you. Slowly practice your newly learned skills and you will be just fine..... Jim
dsurley and 823Jim like this.

Pearl Hotrod Yellow 2002 GL1800 with lots of farkles
Old 10-18-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

One of my mantras in life is, things are never as bad as we fear them to be. But hear I am letting fear creep in. Even a used Goldwing at $9,000...it would be heartbreaking for it to dump and get scared...and there's the whole pride and ago =-) Guess I need to get over it.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveTexasAcres View Post
One of my mantras in life is, things are never as bad as we fear them to be. But hear I am letting fear creep in. Even a used Goldwing at $9,000...it would be heartbreaking for it to dump and get scared...and there's the whole pride and ago =-) Guess I need to get over it.

I was 30+ years without riding when I got my Gold Wing. I had never ridden a large cruiser and also questioned whether I should start up again on something this large. I spent time in a local parking lot in the evenings doing tight turns and now Iím very comfortable on it. As previously mentioned, most drops happen when youíre stopped, mine did. I was amazed at how efficient the engine guards did their job. No scratches or damage and my ego healed nicely.

Get the GW. Youíll love it.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Old 10-19-2019, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The Wing is a big gal, but she is also quite nimble. Intimidating at 1st???? Yes. Tranquilizing quickly???? Indeed.
NREMTP and gwjhb like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
Old 10-19-2019, 07:07 AM

So it all comes down to your confidence.

Like most things, practice, practice, practice. Weight is not an issue. Really, are you going to carry that Honda Rebel or ride it?

I think a GL1500 or GL1800 are very easy to handle due to their low center of gravity and low levels of noise and vibration. Add linked brakes, hydraulic clutch and reverse to the mix and you'll know why some think of it as an Old Man's Bike. Fuel injection on the GL1800 is one less thing to worry about (no choke). Do not even consider using the radio or cruise control until you have confidence in the basics.

That said, perhaps find yourself a $800 bike in the local classifieds. Look for a wing after you have built your confidence.

Andy Cote

Darkside #1500
2015 Goldwing, black

previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate GL1500 Wing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate and many other Hondas
Old 10-19-2019, 07:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

I have watched those videos of , to me, incredible Goldwing maneuvers not because I want to emulate them but rather just to see what a Goldwing can do in the proper hands. It doesn't build confidence in myself, but it sure builds my confidence in the Goldwing.
Stratman, NREMTP, dsurley and 1 others like this.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:21 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to RayJ
I love my Wing but I came off a Harley. I agree with your thoughts that a lighter bike to start would be a good idea. I did it. My wife did it. My sone did it. It was helpful. You can make mistakes on a lighter bike and recover easier than with a heavy one. Where do you live. I have a VTX1300 in perfect shape for $3500 that would be a good starter. It is my wifeís and she just upgraded to a Harley.

RayJ

Proud Owner of IDMWT #104
Proud Owner of GEEZER GANG #11

Bike List:
1993 Harley Low Rider Black (Gone)
2005 Harley Electra Glide Black Cherry (Gone)
2015 Goldwing Black
1975 Goldwing Red

but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31
Old 10-19-2019, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Garage
I rode with several guys that had their first bike and all were Wings. Granted, that was back in the day of the 1100 (lighter, smaller) but back then, that one whole lotta bike. But all of them had no issues with them. Sure lots of them dropped them in parking lots and at intersections, but you just have to swallow that pride and pick it up and move on. I've really lost track of how many times I've had to pick mine up, and I just do it.
Like the crew mentions, it's all about practice and confidence. Start slow and simple and work up in the maneuvers, then get into tighter and more challenging things, as well as emergency swerves, braking and the "holy s**t" scenario. It pays off every season for me, I practice every spring all the things I've learned and been taught over 40+ years of riding.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Old 10-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Garage
The figure 8 box in the MSF course is, I think, 20 feet wide. That is for the class where you use the small beginner bikes provided by MSF. The advanced class, where you use your own bike (and plenty of people bring their Goldwings) the box is wider. I think it is 24 feet, in recognition of the fact that bigger bikes generally require larger turning area. Experienced riders can complete the exercise with a Goldwing in the smaller box, but I'm not one of them. When I was teaching the classes, I would do the bigger box on my Kawasaki Voyager XII. That extra four feet makes a huge difference. I dropped my Goldwing on Wednesday. No damage to the bike other than my pride. My wife was on board and it didn't even phase her.
jcsouders5464 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in