Alternators Replace or Fix - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By budoka

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Alternators Replace or Fix

I've read a lot where people have had alternator problems and wait a few days at a dealer even while traveling for a new alternator to arrive. Over $400 to $600 and they are on their way. I've looked at alternators online priced between $124 to $439 and thought of having a spare for my 2005 GL. But, then I thought why not just order the brushes for $25.

I put over 112,000 miles on my 1992 1500. In that time at 55k I took out the alternator and replaced the brushes, I also did that on a friends 1500. When the bike got to 110k miles, I decided to just buy a new Alternator because I was thinking other things could go wrong eventually. Among my friends it seemed the alternators on the 1500s would go bad with worn brushes in that 52k to 65k mile range. Now I have the 1800. My 2001 was going strong at 46k and I didn't worry about the alternator but I always pulled a trailer on long trips. So, carrying an extra would not be a problem.

Now, I'm thinking I'm going to purchase the brushes to carry because once you take out the alternator it only takes about an hour to put new brushes in. So for $25 that might be cheap insurance and I don't trust after market alternators. The reviews are terrible on them. I also researched and see that the Regulator Set that is part of the alternator is only $68 and is also easily replaced. I don't have a lot of items on the bike that will require a lot of wattage usage so the alternator should last a while. And if the brushes wear out, they are easily replaced. Hopefully the stator will not burn out because I'm not overloading the electrical system.

Many of us know Tom Finch and he was never without his trailer. I loved the man. He always had a spare alternator with him and I think I can learn something from that.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:51 PM

Garage
Just make sure that the brushes are in a tightly sealed container. If they pick up any contamination (hydrocarbons or other vapors) they could damage your alternator and might not last long enough to get you home. I salute you for having a plan B.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:54 PM

Garage
when my alternator went south on my old 1500..... there was a local shop that was willing to rebuild it for me
Cost me like $75.... it needed brushes, a regulator, and a bearing. Plus he was willing to put a 1 year warranty on his work

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Garage
I believe that these situations come down to a decision of whether or not you end up throwing good money after bad. I'd be more inclined to have the full replacement ready but that's just me.
Behind bars likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:59 PM

I wrestled with either rebuilding or buying a new Honda (Nippon) OEM alternator, for about 2 minutes. The rebuild kit was $35 versus $110 for a new OEM Honda Gold Wing alternator. Since I had to pretty much strip my Gold Wing down to the frame, remove the exhaust system and flip the gas tank up to get to the 3 bolts holding the alternator on, I didn't want to install a rebuilt alternator only to have it fail after I buttoned everything back up because I rebuilt it wrong. I want to keep & ride my Wing for as long as possible. That little savings wasn't worth the comfort I get from installing factory new OEM parts.

Last edited by [email protected]; 10-23-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode