Combination meter. - Honda Goldwing Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Luv2fish

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Combination meter.

Trying to repurpose a 2013 1800B engine from an accident. Having trouble getting spark. The dashboard did not come with the engine. I don't need the dashboard functions. I just need the engine to run.
Is the "combination meter", which I believe are the guages in the dashboard, needed for the engine to run? If so, which ones, what purpose do they serve, and is there a way to by pass them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 05:19 PM

The meter panel may not be needed but do you have the other electronics ?

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Not sure what electronics you are referring to. I have the radio ampliphier which I removed. (And am happy to send someone's way)

Also have all the sensors attached to the motor and exhaust system itself. The relay box and the engine control module. And most of the wiring harness attached to the engine. Just had to figure out which connectors are which and what they would connect to. But working our way through that.
We have it together enough to get it to turn over. But no spark. Trying to figure out if the computer is not getting something it wants or if something else is missing?

For example there are wires from the gas tank to the ECM. Would the computer refuse to provide spark if there is no gas?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:21 AM

Not sure how much of the wiring harness is there but I'm pretty sure that the handlebar kill switch would leave an open loop if not connected. The bank angle sensor would probably do the same thing. This is a tough problem if you don't have a complete bike with complete wiring harness. When you say "repurpose" do you mean put it in another Goldwing or are you doing something else?

Steve
Jinx and Behind bars like this.

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I am building an experimental WIG. Wing In Groundeffect. Think flying boat. So I just need it to start and respond to the throttle. Not sure I will even need to change years.

I do have enough of the frame to have at least one sensor I have noticed. Not sure if it is for the kick stand or something else like brakes or bank angle.

But I really want the to bypass the bank angle sensor because I don't want the engine stopping if I hit some turbulence or turn sharp in the water.
So then I am assuming then that if the computer won't send spark without the Bank angle sensor that the sensor must provide constant power except when it is activated by a fall? So the solution must be to find the wires at the ECM and hard wire them to power. Correct?

Are there other sensors that it won't start without?
The kick stand? Fuel gauge? Brakes?

Where is the bank indicator located? Is it on the frame somewhere or on the engine?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 04:40 PM

I think you will need the wiring diagram . There are a few sensors and safety switches that are needed to get it to start. I'm sure it can be done but it is going to take some work.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Yes. I have the manual, and it is a huge amount of work. If you remove the covering from the wiring harness so you can trace a wire, you wind up with this huge rat's nest of wires. It is hard to imagine how they can create such a mess.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 12:19 PM

Garage
Looking at the wire diagram on the 2012 model (which I don't think there is any change in circuits to the 2013) the ignition coils are fired by the ECM, however the ECM signal for the coils comes from Fuse 18 through the FI/IGN relay, this supplies battery voltage to B3 and A23 on the ECM. The Camshaft position sensor and the Crankshaft position sensors need to be connected in order for the coils to fire correctly. The A28 terminal on the ECM if for 1-2 coil, A27 is for 3-4 coil and A26 is for 5-6 coil.

9th ID, US Army
Vietnam 69-70
Disabled Veterans of America
Member of MOPH (Military Order of the Purple Heart)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode