Trunk LEDs Installed. - Honda Goldwing Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By TmDILL

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Trunk LEDs Installed.

I had been wanting to put LED Bulbs to replace the stock bulbs on my bike. The reason is two fold. One is to have a bit brighter light without adding more lights. The other reason is LEDs run cooler and take way less power. I did a lot of research on what to buy. Wing Stuff sells the LED bulbs for $20 each. If I remember they are made by Pathfinder. So to replace all four run/stop lights in my trunk plus the two in the saddlebags would cost $120. So I researched online a comparison of four different bulbs. And I watched several videos online of people showing how to install them and how they looked. Most all seemed to have a white-out look. I think that is because some were super bright LEDs and some were white as the stock bulbs. Most all in the comparison ranged from $14.99 a pair to $29.99 a pair. Whatever bulb I chose was going to be a savings from the bulbs Wing Stuff sells. I also did not want any white glare to override the red lens of the bike.

I decided on Sylvania 7443R (RED) as my choice. I purchased them at O'Reillys Parts Store for $22.98 a pair. They only had two pair in stock so my saddlebag replacements will have to wait. I read where people had problems with pushing the bulbs into the stock socket without hearing a click, etc, thinking they didn't fit snug. I believe there is a reason for that. If a person looks into the socket they will see two chrome clips shaped almost like a pressure spring. They are both just offset of center. Then if you look at the bulb itself there is a tab for those clips to clip to. I had one socket where one of the chrome clips was not shaped correctly. It probably was changed when removing the older bulb or during previous owner installing a bulb. Anyway, I used my needle nose pliers to fix it. After install, I was tremendously happy with my choice of bulbs. They provide a brighter but deeper red look than the saddlebag bulbs yet to be replaced.

Now, I'm planning on pulling a trailer. Many folks including my self worry about tying into stock wiring and possibly overloading the circuit. So, Here is a bit of simple math that helps me to determine if pulling a trailer with it own set of light will overload my existing circuit. I am replacing 6 bulbs that are rated at 21watts for brake and 5 watts for run. That is 126 watts and 30 watts. The Sylvania 7443R are rated at 2.5 watts and .5 watts. giving out more light for a total of 15 watts and 3 watts. That is a of power savings 111 watts stop and 27 watts running that the alternator does not have to provide. Saves on wear and tear of the alternator, too. Addind a pair of stop/run lights on a trailer (5/1 watt) will not overload the circuit.

My son is an Electrical Engineer and I asked him if doing the same to the turn signal bulbs on a Goldwing. He says that the Load equalizer needed to operate Turnsignal bulbs may offset any gain of savings on power used. But the run portion will save because the front turn dual function bulbs are also run lights.

One more thing I just edited in. When I was doing research, many folks said if the LED don't come on during your first test. Turn them 180 degrees and reinstall. The 7443 have a red dot on the bottom edge of their mount. That is the positive side. The negative side is blank. I knew the Green wire is ground in the socket. I just aligned the negative blank side with the green wire in the socket and always had the correct polarity for the LED to work.

I have an older 2005 Wing. I hope this post will help people in the future to decide on replacing bulbs with LEDs.
NREMTP, JKWinger and JustEd like this.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.

Last edited by TmDILL; 09-14-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmDILL View Post
I had been wanting to put LED Bulbs to replace the stock bulbs on my bike. The reason is two fold. One is to have a bit brighter light without adding more lights. The other reason is LEDs run cooler and take way less power. I did a lot of research on what to buy. Wing Stuff sells the LED bulbs for $20 each. If I remember they are made by Pathfinder. So to replace all four run/stop lights in my trunk plus the two in the saddlebags would cost $120. So I researched online a comparison of four different bulbs. And I watched several videos online of people showing how to install them and how they looked. Most all seemed to have a white-out look. I think that is because some were super bright LEDs and some were white as the stock bulbs. Most all in the comparison ranged from $14.99 a pair to $29.99 a pair. Whatever bulb I chose was going to be a savings from the bulbs Wing Stuff sells. I also did not want any white glare to override the red lens of the bike.

I decided on Sylvania 7443R (RED) as my choice. I purchased them at O'Reillys Parts Store for $22.98 a pair. They only had two pair in stock so my saddlebag replacements will have to wait. I read where people had problems with pushing the bulbs into the stock socket without hearing a click, etc, thinking they didn't fit snug. I believe there is a reason for that. If a person looks into the socket they will see two chrome clips shaped almost like a pressure spring. They are both just offset of center. Then if you look at the bulb itself there is a tab for those clips to clip to. I had one socket where one of the chrome clips was not shaped correctly. It probably was changed when removing the older bulb or during previous owner installing a bulb. Anyway, I used my needle nose pliers to fix it. After install, I was tremendously happy with my choice of bulbs. They provide a brighter but deeper red look than the saddlebag bulbs yet to be replaced.

Now, I'm planning on pulling a trailer. Many folks including my self worry about tying into stock wiring and possibly overloading the circuit. So, Here is a bit of simple math that helps me to determine if pulling a trailer with it own set of light will overload my existing circuit. I am replacing 6 bulbs that are rated at 21watts for brake and 5 watts for run. That is 126 watts and 30 watts. The Sylvania 7443R are rated at 2.5 watts and .5 watts. giving out more light for a total of 15 watts and 3 watts. That is a of power savings 111 watts stop and 27 watts running that the alternator does not have to provide. Saves on wear and tear of the alternator, too. Addind a pair of stop/run lights on a trailer (5/1 watt) will not overload the circuit.

My son is an Electrical Engineer and I asked him if doing the same to the turn signal bulbs on a Goldwing. He says that the Load equalizer needed to operate Turnsignal bulbs may offset any gain of savings on power used. But the run portion will save because the front turn dual function bulbs are also run lights.

One more thing I just edited in. When I was doing research, many folks said if the LED don't come on during your first test. Turn them 180 degrees and reinstall. The 7443 have a red dot on the bottom edge of their mount. That is the positive side. The negative side is blank. I knew the Green wire is ground in the socket. I just aligned the negative blank side with the green wire in the socket and always had the correct polarity for the LED to work.

I have an older 2005 Wing. I hope this post will help people in the future to decide on replacing bulbs with LEDs.
You don't need a load equalizer. Just an LED flasher. Why stop at the rear lights? Might as well make the switch in front as well. A clear turn signal lens with switchback LED bulbs. Put in LED head lights too!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Good guys ride black bikes
IDMWT #98

Last edited by JKWinger; 09-14-2019 at 08:37 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Update Bulb information.

The Sylvania 7443R is not the same bulb today as it was two weeks ago. I was upset to go back to O'Reillys to purchase the bulbs in the two pack set as I did two weeks earlier. I discovered that the new label still shows the part number as 7443R but the base of the bulb is not the T-20 and the package says off road use. The bulb now has a completely different look. What we need for the Goldwing is the bulb with the T-20 base. So, I found a very similar bulb sold by Amazon for a couple dollars cheaper. If is made by Phillips with same part number 7443R. Be aware the 7440R will also fit but it is for single light application not double lights (run/stop).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

I got a call back from Sylvania and they changed the 7443R on purpose. They are now having an engineer look into the application. I responded back saying the original 7443R was the best application for the Goldwings 6 rear tail lights and the new configuration bulbs are not as good in projecting the light. I'm still waiting for feedback. In the mean time the Phillips 7443R is a great replacement and $2 a pair cheaper than the Sylvania bulbs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode