Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Questions about F6B, where to test one?!

7K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Vinc in Fl 
#1 · (Edited)
Questions about F6B

Hi guys, I'm new here, thanks for having me. I'm going to upgrade to a new bike in January, and I'm seriously considering a Goldwing. I don't know if I want the GL1800 or an F6B. I'd like to test drive an F6B, but I can't find a place to ride one! I'm in Houston, and none of the dealerships stock them, so I guess if I wanted one, I'd have to order it. But I need to see if the seating, footpeg, and handlebar position are comfortable. So, do any of you guys have an idea that I might be overlooking about how I can test ride an F6B?

I've been test riding the DCT GL1800 lately, and I like the bike, but I know I'd need risers for the bars, as I stoop forward a little to reach them. I currently ride a Shadow, which has a much more laid back and relaxed seating position. I know that there are riser and sweep kits available for the GL1800 that look like they would solve my problem nicely, but I don't know if I want the DCT transmission. I already know that if I don't go for the DCT, I definitely want an F6B instead of the GL1800. In my opinion, the F6B is a much better looking bike. So I need to know how it fits. I've also been test riding Harleys, and I like the Road Glide, but I get the feeling that the F6B deluxe offers much more bike for the same price, so if I can find one that works for me, I'd rather buy it.

Another thing I noticed is that I can't flatfoot on the ground on the GL1800. I sat on a used F6B at a dealership, and it seemed that the seat was lower to the ground, despite the fact that Honda's website says the seat height is greater on the F6B. Unfortunately I couldn't test-ride the used F6B that I found because it was on consignment, they wouldn't let me.

Also, if I have the same problem with the F6B; if the bars are slightly too far forward, is there a riser kit that will bring the bars of the F6B up and back a little bit, without breaking the bank?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
So just for discussion sake, the F6B ended it's production run in 2017. It may be difficult to find a dealer that will allow a test ride on one if it's a new leftover. What may be easier is to find a privately owned one that someone will allow you to test.

The F6B was replaced by the Goldwing. The Goldwing Tour replaced what we all knew as the GL1800. Even though the new bikes are still GL1800's. Both the Goldwing and the Goldwing Tour come in Standard 6 speed manual & DCT versions with a 3rd model on the Tour that includes ABS. The ABS version though only comes in DCT configuration.

Hope this helps somewhat?

Oh and Welcome to the GWOF from PA.

Reactions: budoka and ccjcc81
#4 ·
So just for discussion sake, the F6B ended it's production run in 2017. It may be difficult to find a dealer that will allow a test ride on one if it's a new leftover. What may be easier is to find a privately owned one that someone will allow you to test.

The F6B was replaced by the Goldwing. The Goldwing Tour replaced what we all knew as the GL1800. Even though the new bikes are still GL1800's. Both the Goldwing and the Goldwing Tour come in Standard 6 speed manual & DCT versions with a 3rd model on the Tour that includes ABS. The ABS version though only comes in DCT configuration.

Hope this helps somewhat?

Oh and Welcome to the GWOF from PA.
Interesting. So the bikes listed on Honda's website are leftovers? Have they been sitting in a warehouse since 2016? If so, would you buy a bike that's been warehoused that long?

https://powersports.honda.com/street/touring/gold-wing-f6b

Thanks for the advice.

Eagle Rider in Texas may be able to hook you up and you can rent one. Motorcycle Rentals - Motorcycle Tours | EagleRider They do have locations in Austin and San Antonio.
Good lead, but I don't see any F6Bs around here. Thanks!

I found one to test ride, it's a couple of cities over, but worth the drive to see if it fits me. Thanks for the advice.

It was mentioned that production has ceased for the F6B, but it looks like they can still be ordered from the website. Does that mean that those bikes have been sitting in a warehouse since production stopped? Would you buy a bike like that?

#5 ·
If the 2016 satisfied all of my wants and needs, yes I would definitely buy it. Deeply discounted price compared to a current model and ,if its unused or even used as a demo the dealer is selling as new, a full "new bike" warranty beginning with the mileage on the odometer. If it has everything you want, why not?

Reactions: ccjcc81
#7 ·
The only things I would be concerned with would be rubber parts that are exposed to sunlight. If the bike has been stored indoors (humidity controlled would be best, but I doubt any dealer is going to spend that money), then the only other concern would be tires. They have a life span of approximately 5 years, regardless of mileage or how its been stored. You can look at the sidewall to see when it was made. Even a tire that has sat on a rack for two years with wrapper still on, its already lost 40% of its value. So for that you might want to consider bargaining for new tires. But still check the mfg date even if the dealer gives you new ones. Discreetly, you don't want to insult the guy.

#9 ·
Great advice!

One more question, then I'll give you guys a break.

On Honda's website, it shows the F6B available for "build." When I select the options, it then shows me a list of local dealers I can get a quote from. That is clearly an indication that Honda has some left, and will ship them out, right? I hope it's not a website issue, only to find that they're not really available. Also, it shows an MSRP of $21,499. That's obviously not what I'll pay, right? What kind of discounts do you think I should expect for a 2016 year model bike?

Thanks again guys.

#10 ·
I think of you find the right dealer that could be a significant discount. Maybe not so much if they have to get one from Mother Honda but if in fact they have one in their own stock.

As far as the options I would think those too may only be limited. However the aftermarket companies would no doubt have more availability.

I think if I was doing this search, I would probably contact dealers, get comfortable with one, and then get busy on a deal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: dsurley and ccjcc81
#12 ·
Gosh, Fossil, I gotta show this to my kids.

Reactions: fossil92
#14 ·
there is several things that the F6B didn't come with compared to a standard Goldwing. So adjustable windshield is probably one of them.... since it came with a little short stubby thing.

As far as riding a bike and looking through the windshield. I had a 98 GL1500SE that had an extra tall windshield, I am 6'2" and at its lowest setting I still had to look through it. For most days that was absolutely not a problem, no worse than looking through a car windshield. On rainy days, to me it was a god send..... you did not get wet other than your hands.
The bad days were on the chilly , humid mornings.... so as you go from top of hills to bottom the temp changes so much that the windshield fogs over abruptly, and since there are no windshield wipers, that did cause some concerns some mornings. I just stuffed a micro fiber towel in the cup holder and reached over and wiped the top 4 inches on the front and what ever I needed to on the inside...... not much different from driving my old 1950 GMC in which the heater was more of a warmer, maybe, defroster...haha not even, and wipers ran off of vacuum so going up hill, didnt have them either.

So I found it to be no big deal.............. just clean it right so you don't put lots of little hazy scratches in it... then the sun will glare.

#15 ·
after now watching your video.... the F6B DOES NOT have windshield adjustments.
IF it did, there would be a lever just to the outside of each speaker, that released the tension so it could be pulled up or pushed down.

#17 ·
I keep my windshields cleaned with Pledge Multi-Surface, followed by McQuires Quik Wax

It works as good as Rain-X, the water just beaded up and flowed up and over, only issues was if you got up close behind a car,,,, the tire spray is so fine that it didn't want to bead up as well.... same in heavy fog.

But again, I didn't find it any worse than if you had the same thing happening on your face shield.

If the windshield had been freshly waxed..... no problems at all, then it didn't take long in fog, to get enough moisture on the windshield for it to start to bead up..... once that started..... it cleared itself reasonably well.

#18 ·
So..... actually...... if I know I am fixing to ride into some rain on my now 1800.... if I have a place to do so.... I pull over and raise the windshield to its highest position...... I have to look through it...... especially if it hasn't been long since I cleaned and waxed it

#19 ·
Cool, that's a big question answered. Thanks sir for sharing your info, we new riders need it! I only wish I hadn't waited so late in life to start.

I was gonna go try to pick up that F6B tomorrow. It was a 16 with 6k miles on it, white on black. I called them about it today, they sold it! Darn. I'll be on the lookout.

This post has been deleted
#21 ·
look on Cycle Trader ................. you might be able to locate one that way...
that is how I found my 2013 Goldwing.... it was a 2 year old on consignment

#20 ·
Everyone has a limit to what the feel comfortable with or are willing to deal with

at the bottom of my posts, you can see the list of bikes that I have had over the years.

I have also had several old cars, and there were not a lot of creature comforts on them
I had a 50 gmc, '46 Chevy car, '55 Chevy sedan....

I have also, for the most part lived in a rural area........so dealing with traffic was of no concern.

But I have been caught in the rain on that 1500 that I described as I was getting into Austin, TX and getting on Mopac

#23 ·
Mine was at a dealer and found it on cycle trader..... it was a Honda dealer in Allen, TX

You won't get any numb hands and rear end on a Goldwing and get to keep your hearing to boot..... unless you follow your friend on his harley

#28 ·
Very happy for you! I had the chance to ride the F6B and really liked it except for the lack of face protection/windshield height. The wind noise interfered with the sound system and I'm a music buff. Didn't mind the difference in the seat, and really liked the difference in weight compared to mine. When they came out in 2013, the lack of cruise control was a big deterrent for buyers, but in a couple years Honda got with the program and added it. Lots of things I liked about the "bagger" model and very few dislikes (for me) if it was a "second" bike.

#30 ·
I bought my used 2016 Deluxe for $11500,, with only740 miles, so it was like a new one. Talking with all the guys in my club, they said not to worry about not having the new warranty, because not one of them have needed it . It has the baggershield on it, and raised, it still buffets my head. I'm planning on a taller shield. Thanks for all the information!

#31 ·
Don't be like me and try out for windshields before you get the mad stad, just buy one up 15 inch, tinted, my review is on their website, under the F6B

Make sure to check out my channel on YouTube, under John Keller F6b, I have started reviews on these from like 8500 miles on! I just traded in a 2013 Red non Deluxe, on Tuesday, for a 2016 Matt White deluxe! I got 8500 for my trade, and paid them their Full sticker price at 13999, the bike only had 2700 miles on it. No it was the not the lowest price you can find out there, but you're going to pay extra now for the matte White, my bike is in showroom condition, Once you buy one of these you will not want to ride anything else! You will be very spoiled. Blows the 2018 through 2000 way, all of this is covered on my channel along with upgrades, installs, maintenance videos everything oh, you're on the right path, Katy Texas has a couple left brand new F6B non Deluxe, and there's a non Deluxe right now in Macon Georgia at a dealership they'll probably let you test drive, besides that I know of no more new ones out there. Any dealership with a used one though will let you test ride! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.