Just Bought 77 Goldwing - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Just Bought 77 Goldwing

Howdy guys,

So last week I bought my first motorcycle, a 1977 GL1000 Goldwing. It was a barn find previously, but the engine turns over! All the electronics so far work and it looks complete. I'm compiling a list of stuff that that I need to get to make it roadworthy. Here's my list so far:

Timing belt ($35 from napa #250274 but I think this is for 1, not 2)
Tires ($225 for tires, mount and balancing, and them taking the rear wheel off. Local bike shop)
Rear shocks ($40 from ebay)
New fluids, oil, diff, brake, and radiator
Brake pads ($9 per set)
Rear Rotor ($40 from ebay)
Possible carbs rebuild (Randakk $150)
Grips ($20)
Headlight (not bucket)(Not sure of part number to look for)

This list is compiled from what I can see and from what I've read (ie timing belt).
I usually work on classic cars so I have experience with older stuff (My DD 65 Ranchero, my dad's 61 Studebaker Lark). I'm honestly just trying to get this bike to where I can ride and enjoy it with the least amount of money put into it. If any of you have any tips or have extra parts you'd like to sell cheaper than what I have listed, let me know. This will be primarily a fun bike or a backup when I work on the Ranchero.

The front forks are air filled, I'm assuming someone converted them to that. They hold air so it seems. I was able to bleed the rear caliper and it definitely works when I hit the brake. It does seem to drag, I don't know if expanding the caliper might fix that, or that it doesn't help that the rear rotor looks like a vinyl record (super ridgy). I also attempted to bleed the front brakes and for some reason when I squeezed the handle, fluid came out like it should, but the handle got floppy and wouldn't work afterwards when it had been fine before I tried bleeding the calipers. Is there some sort of safety where if the keys aren't in the ignition then the front brakes can't be bled? I didn't have the keys with me to check.

The muffler system is rusted on the left side bad, several holes. I was planning on running just straight pipes from the downpipes to glasspacks or something along those lines to fix the exhaust. Or is there another more economical method? Originality is nice, but money is a huge factor. I'm a college student so there ain't much.

I know its a lot for one post but thanks for reading and your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190826_191027.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	264983   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190826_191004.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	264985   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190826_191049.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	264987   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190826_191038.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	264989   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190826_191233.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	264991  

Last edited by 77GoldWing; 08-27-2019 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Forgot info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77GoldWing View Post
Howdy guys,

So last week I bought my first motorcycle, a 1977 GL1000 Goldwing. It was a barn find previously, but the engine turns over! All the electronics so far work and it looks complete. I'm compiling a list of stuff that that I need to get to make it roadworthy. Here's my list so far:

Timing belt ($35 from napa #250274 but I think this is for 1, not 2)
Tires ($225 for tires, mount and balancing, and them taking the rear wheel off. Local bike shop)
Rear shocks ($40 from ebay)
New fluids, oil, diff, brake, and radiator
Brake pads ($9 per set)
Rear Rotor ($40 from ebay)
Possible carbs rebuild (Randakk $150)
Grips ($20)
Headlight (not bucket)(Not sure of part number to look for)

This list is compiled from what I can see and from what I've read (ie timing belt).
I usually work on classic cars so I have experience with older stuff (My DD 65 Ranchero, my dad's 61 Studebaker Lark). I'm honestly just trying to get this bike to where I can ride and enjoy it with the least amount of money put into it. If any of you have any tips or have extra parts you'd like to sell cheaper than what I have listed, let me know. This will be primarily a fun bike or a backup when I work on the Ranchero.

The front forks are air filled, I'm assuming someone converted them to that. They hold air so it seems. I was able to bleed the rear caliper and it definitely works when I hit the brake. It does seem to drag, I don't know if expanding the caliper might fix that, or that it doesn't help that the rear rotor looks like a vinyl record (super ridgy). I also attempted to bleed the front brakes and for some reason when I squeezed the handle, fluid came out like it should, but the handle got floppy and wouldn't work afterwards when it had been fine before I tried bleeding the calipers. Is there some sort of safety where if the keys aren't in the ignition then the front brakes can't be bled? I didn't have the keys with me to check.

The muffler system is rusted on the left side bad, several holes. I was planning on running just straight pipes from the downpipes to glasspacks or something along those lines to fix the exhaust. Or is there another more economical method? Originality is nice, but money is a huge factor. I'm a college student so there ain't much.

I know its a lot for one post but thanks for reading and your input.
I'll also need new front brake lines. The left side one is cracked. I see these lines going for over $100. All i need are usable lines. If you got some extra, I'd be happy to take them.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to RayJ
I am working on a 75 now. Mine is complete but doing a lot of the mechanics, etc you discussed. I assume you have found the naked wing forum. Very valuable group. Where are you located.

RayJ

Proud Owner of IDMWT #104
Proud Owner of GEEZER GANG #11

Bike List:
1993 Harley Low Rider Black (Gone)
2005 Harley Electra Glide Black Cherry (Gone)
2015 Goldwing Black
1975 Goldwing Red

but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to RayJ
Forgot to say but check the radiator hoses and coolant also.

RayJ

Proud Owner of IDMWT #104
Proud Owner of GEEZER GANG #11

Bike List:
1993 Harley Low Rider Black (Gone)
2005 Harley Electra Glide Black Cherry (Gone)
2015 Goldwing Black
1975 Goldwing Red

but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Garage
Depending on what you need for parts to replace damaged ones, detailed lists are a must. Many OEM parts can be found online and in reasonable condition for relatively low prices. There are sites with part #'s and I have access to Honda original part #s if that helps.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:49 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your Wing.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ View Post
I am working on a 75 now. Mine is complete but doing a lot of the mechanics, etc you discussed. I assume you have found the naked wing forum. Very valuable group. Where are you located.
I'll check them out next

I'm near Seattle, WA
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ View Post
Forgot to say but check the radiator hoses and coolant also.
The hoses look decent enough for me to try running them. But its definitely getting a coolant flush.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Depending on what you need for parts to replace damaged ones, detailed lists are a must. Many OEM parts can be found online and in reasonable condition for relatively low prices. There are sites with part #'s and I have access to Honda original part #s if that helps.
If having the part numbers makes finding the correct ones easier then yes I'd love to have them.

What would the numbers be for:
Headlight
All 3 front brake lines

Thanks a lot!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Garage
OK, now I didn't check for availability (in all likelihood Honda has discontinued the parts) but there may be online stores that have suitable replacements. The headlight assembly is pretty much all Stanley so many of the pieces (bucket, sealed beam, rings, fasteners etc) might still be out there.
Headlight bucket/case: 61301-371-003
Sealed beam (50w/40w): 33321-371-672
Rim: 33101-300-673
Ring:33121-375-671
Setting ring: 33153-375-671

Front brake hose (B): 45126-371-660
Master cyl boot: 45522-300-010
Brake hose (A) x 2: 45125-371-013
*there are no lengths/dimensions on the hoses, but it might be simpler to get braided lines from a fabricator instead of the stock style rubber ones. Just have to order "braided hoses" and not use the term "brake lines" because of certification rules. If it was me, that's the way I'd go but it might be cost prohibitive for you.
Hope it helps

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode