Nitrogen vs Air in Tires - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 63Likes

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:12 PM

Nitrogen is a money making baloney which your wasting your money. Nitrogen is for airplanes that experience rapid change in temps for the landing tires. The tires may be in the sky at extremely low temps and then lands on the tarmac and instantly the temp is radical which the Nitrogen stabalizes the variance so the tire does not explode....etc. I have owned many new cars over the years and most of them have the factory nitro fill. And all of them still lose air and or need extra nitrogen and or compressed air just like my non nitrogen tire cars. You will still have to add either nitrogen and or compressed air throughout the seasons. And the real issue is moisture in the tire which creates the variance of psi to the ambient outside air temp. And if it makes you feel better I’ll sell you a fresh can of compressed air to carry around with you lol. Wait that’s called Nitrogen air 78 percent.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...ogen-in-tires/
NREMTP and JKWinger like this.

Last edited by Ice Age; 08-18-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:51 AM

I used to have access to a dealer that had nitrogen available (they went out of business years ago - not because of service but family issues). I ran nitro when I dealt with them and got great mileage on my tires then.

With "standard" air I get about 2/3's the mileage I got then. If I could find a local dealer or provider of nitrogen air I would again start using it.

The pressure was always consistent - I lost about 1 pound over the winter storage vs. checking and filling the tires now monthly. The bike also (and this is probably only opinion) seemed to ride smoother on long day trips too. Probably from the tires not heating up and getting "harder" from the increased standard air pressure.

YMMV
Chopin and Jinx like this.

Proud Owner of IDMWT #102
2004 Black GL1800A Gold Wing
1997 Black/Silver Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Garage
The benefits from nitrogen are real, and yes proven under certain/various applications as mentioned. If it were 100% available and didn't cost more, then why wouldn't all of us use it? I totally understand the race application as a 2 psi increase on a race bike could easily spell disaster (or a loss) in a crash due to a tire washing out in a corner. On a big rig with more fill volume absolutely. On a passenger car tire or a bike in daily "normal" use, it would be hard to quantify the actual versus theoretical benefits. The science is there, but often science and reality don't jibe. Kinda like oil and filters...choice rules.
Jinx, NREMTP, dsurley and 2 others like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:45 PM

Garage
if a person really wants nitrogen.......... I bet you could check with a welding supply store..... all sorts of bottled gases.
buy your own bottle and set up to fill all of your tires
NREMTP and JKWinger like this.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurley View Post
if a person really wants nitrogen.......... I bet you could check with a welding supply store..... all sorts of bottled gases.
buy your own bottle and set up to fill all of your tires
When I wanted to connect the beefed up battery bank on my travel trailer to an inverter, I saved a lot of money by purchasing welding cables as opposed to the hardware store prices for copper strand cables.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:20 AM
ETC

Garage
you know in a unrelated item referring to synthetic air - I was going to get my wife some silk flowers but didn't because nobody handles silkwater so what would be the point?

"Take the Right Turn"
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

I had a Canadian friend try to convince me I had to change the air in my tires from psi to something like kilograms per square centimeter when I first crossed the border on my wing. Said if I got stopped I could get a Ticket for improperly inflated tires. So far I haven't ever been stopped.??????
NREMTP and Luv2fish like this.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Garage
Well Ron, you know that the air north of the imaginary line is more pure...same as our nitrogen

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Well Ron, you know that the air north of the imaginary line is more pure...same as our nitrogen
I wasn't sure about the air being more pure, I do know the B.S. gets thicker the farther east and North you go.
dsurley likes this.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:54 PM

I would tend to agree that its' the moisture content of whatever is in your tires that makes the biggest difference.
So yes 100% pure N is excellent and compressed air can have a high moisture content, especially in climes like summer in Florida.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode