Slow speed instability - Honda Goldwing Forums
 17Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Slow speed instability

I am finding my 2018 goldwing 1800B is unpredictable when coming to a stop or in slow speed maneuvers. For me the bike handles differently based upon the amount of gas in the tank. Does anyone else have this problem. I've put it down twice now. I've had harleys, Kawi's and Yamaha's and none were as unstable or unpredictable as the goldwing. I've seen so many comments about its stability at slow speed. My personal experience doesn't back that up. Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:48 AM

I think it's a practice thing. Also make sure your front wheel is straight when stopping. If you use the front brake and the wheel is turned to the side, you will likely be picking it up off the ground. Personally I have never thought the amount of fuel in the tank made it feel any different to me. Riding slow I try to use the rear brake only.
fossil92, Luv2fish and dsurley like this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Garage
Mark hit on a very good point but not sure about the '18 and newer. The previous models did exhibit a tendency to "fall in" when turning a tight slow speed corner and applying the brake lever. I've only had it happen once in s a sudden (panic) stop thanks to a cage cutting me off at a fuel station. Managed to keep the bike upright but it was a tad of a pucker moment. Haven't heard this on the new models though. Hopefully some of the members with the new bikes can shed some light on this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:44 AM

Many of us use 2nd gear in slow speed maneuvering to avoid the jump/power surge in 1st. Just use the foot brake to adjust speed. Iíve found that tight turns in small spaces are better doing this. Like any motorcycle when youíre going slow you loose the gyroscopic effect that maintains you upright. Couple that with almost 1000 lbs of motorcycle and thatís why we often drop them in slow speed maneuvering.

Good explanation of the gyroscopic effect on motorcycles and counter steering https://auto.howstuffworks.com/motorcycle4.htm

Practice makes perfect (or almost perfect) as Mark pointed out.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crownfire and OldFogie like this.

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 AM

Rear brake, throttle and clutch. Practice practice practice
crownfire and Oneway like this.

Just a way faring stranger
IDMWT#85
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Rear brake, throttle and clutch. Practice practice practice
I had trouble with slow speed turns n stops and on the advice of the more experienced riders here took the time to practice with the heavy Wing. Now it is second nature and I have no problems with either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Garage
Take a slow ride course too. Problem solved. These bikes (any large touring bike) are far more capable than most of us that ride them. The course will show you that and then some.
Oneway and RickLB like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:30 PM

Jerry the Motorman videos on YouTube helped me a lot. I actually asked our local library to order the full video series and they did.
crownfire likes this.

Just a way faring stranger
IDMWT#85
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Take a slow ride course too. Problem solved. These bikes (any large touring bike) are far more capable than most of us that ride them. The course will show you that and then some.

Jerry Palladino...Ride Like a Pro. One of the best. I learned a lot from him. As one other said, rear brake, throttle and clutch. Thatís the secret to low speed riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RickLB likes this.

IDMWT# 108

Ď84 GL1200
Ď86 GL1200 Interstate
Ď06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
Ď12 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
Ď99 GL1500
Ď07 Gl1800
Ď10 Triumph Thunderbird SE
Ď12 GL1800

If we ever forget we are one nation under God we will be a nation gone under. Ronald Reagan
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:56 PM

Garage
Stay off of the front break unless your front wheel is straight. If it isn't there's a 99% chance of dropping the bike. Also remember that the Wing has linked breaks. When you apply the rear break the linked system also applies the left front caliper which can pull the wheel to the left.

As others have said, second gear, rear break only, clutch operation and practice. If you happen to drop your Wing, request a IDMWT number... This stands for "I Dropped My Wing Today" It's only a matter of time before this happens to 99.9% of us Wing Pilots.
NREMTP and Luv2fish like this.

Mark & Audrey
IDMWT #83
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode