2001 Goldwing will not Start - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

2001 Goldwing will not Start

Long story on this. First the F1 light came on showing Right knock sensor error. Shop replaced the knock sensor. Did not clear error. Next replaced the ECM. Cleared error and rode home. Same week when I rode to church. Came out and hit starter button all lights except F1 came on. Hit button and nothing. Shop felt the starter switch bad. So replaced the module on right handle bar. Ran for two short trips then did the same thing. Hit the switch and nothing. So at this time 3 weeks later it appears bad harness wire somewhere. The shop has been talking with Honda to no avail. I know the shop has been doing all they can do. I know these elec problems can be hard to fine. A honda repair rep had nothing to add but a harness replacement. Only problem is that the harness has been discontinued.

So has someone else had this issue. I like the bike but there is soon not to be a Goldwing in my life any longer. If the problem was found I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Note this: When you turn the key on, do the front head light and all the dash lights come on ? If you push the starter switch, do the headlights go out and nothing happens ?

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.

Last edited by Chopin; 08-14-2019 at 08:03 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:36 PM

Garage
Ok just on a whim if the bike is not turning over it could be the connections to the starter mine did the exact same thing.

Trying to establish if the starter was bad i did the following.
remove the right engine cover near the dip stick.

shine a flashlight into the engine compartment you will see two cables those are the reverse cables but in there behind all that stuff you can see just one little part of the starter motor case.
I placed a 3/8 socket extension perhaps 10 inches long into that area enough to contact the starter case and hit that with a hammer not all that hard just enough to shock the brushes ,
My bike started and continued to start for two months. Then when if failed again i did it again and it started again right up.
Ok knowing my starter was faulty I changed it out that same day took me about 7 hours a good mechanic could do it in three.
When I removed the old starter it had plenty of brushes but they were dirty with black sludge and were not able to slide ,so I put in a used known good starter.
Any way that is what i did to get it started.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

The headlight and dash lights come on when turn the key on. When you hit the starter button the front light does go out.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:49 PM

Garage
so if the starter wont spin the motor over you may have the following : Bad connection at battery or at starter or the two relays connected to the battery cable the relays are known for this problem.
If the starter turns over the motor then your problem is with no fuel or no spark.

Could be starter or relays or connection and there are some fuses you should check that duplicate the starter issue. ( I would just check them all it only takes a few minutes.)
I was lucky I took a chance and hit my starter bringing it back to life that was good but I knew i had to change the starter .

you will hear from others here we all will help you with this issue.

I forgot to mention I bought two harness from e bay with the relays but that was not the issue at all .

Important to know if the engine turns over with the starter just so we dont bark up the wrong tree.

Also how many miles on this bike.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:16 AM

Check the main ground under the fuel tank, there have been known issues with corrosion and looseness having similar symptoms.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl...e-picture.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A59CC4DD-A067-47BC-9C60-651778036874.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	264823  

Mark

2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Candy Ardent Red
'07 Trekker DL185 Trailer
AMA Member

DSi # 563 IDMWT #14
Riding soothes my soul.....
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Garage
Confirm the above suggestions as being checked by your service tech. I'm leaning towards the main ground since it keeps coming back but a seasoned tech would have checked that first I should think.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I contacted the shop and asked to have those grounds checked. I am not sure if they checked that or not. Thanks for the response.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

I know on the 1500 the solenoid A can be a problem if it sticks. One the 1500 it is located just forward of the battery. follow the the battery to the solenoid. There should be two large terminals. Attach or hold a voltmeter to the second terminal and try to start it. You should see 12+ volts on then on that terminal. No voltage. Either
the solenoid is sticking or it isn't getting the trigger voltage from what be the starter relay #6.
You can also try giving the solenoid A a light tap, sometimes that will free the contacts.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

I went down to the bike shop Saturday. They are saying the problem is in the harness down by the fuse panel. Where the large part of the harness makes the bend down and through the frame is where the problem lies. So they are wanting to replace the wire harness. I know the bike is worth more if running than not. If anyone know of a good wire harness I am all ears. In one respect expensive to replace, but I have already replaced ECM, Right handlebar controls, water pump 6 months ago, new knock sensor, etc.

I am open to suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode