1994 vs 1998 GW - Honda Goldwing Forums
 7Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

1994 vs 1998 GW

A retiring friend who has been shopping for a 1998 - 2000 GW found one on Craigslist that looked nice with ultra low mileage. Although a seasoned HD rider, since he's not familiar with the 1500 models he has asked for some help to sort through a couple of choices. I initially noticed a few oddities on one bike being advertised as a 1998 because of some obvious trim, white faced gauges, exhaust, front crash bars and valve cover discrepancies. When I suggested that this bike really looked to be a mid-90's model, the owner offered that every bumper to bumper body panel, upper/lower fairing, fenders, struts, instruments plus the complete drive train was replaced with 1994 parts. The odometer was also (probably ?) not correct.

He insists the bike is a 98, but hasn't provided any photos to verify the title information and frame stamped VIN# match ? I guess we are to assume it must have been torn up pretty bad at some point for only the claimed front frame and a salvage title to have survived.

This bike is being advertised cheap enough - even if a 1994 model GW is posing as a 1998. I've seen where a salvage bike have been brought back to life using an assortment of junkyard parts but - this would have involved a ridiculous amount of labor. What do you guys think ? Roll the dice and hope no one shows up claiming legal ownership with a real title ?

https://limaohio.craigslist.org/mcy/...937483495.html

Ride Safe - Michael

Last edited by JK McDonald; 08-06-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:49 PM

Good eye on your part!

This one certainly sounds a bit suspicious. I personally am not turned off by a salvage title especially on a 20 -25 year old bike But I would really ask a lot of questions and look things over closely. Also, are there any before pictures, parts receipts, teardown/rebuild pix? Some states will requires this for a title.

As much as I like Goldwings, I would be sad to have this guy's first experience be a bad one. You say he's retiring and if his plan is to do some longer journeys, maybe he should think of a newer bike. We who have experience with 1500s know what to do and how to get parts and fixes on the road but someone just getting on a 25 year old bike and heading out for someplace remote could easily have a breakdown and expensive service call. Looks like there are several 2001-2005 bikes in Ohio at fair money if he can up his budget somewhat.
NREMTP likes this.

Andy Cote

Darkside #1500
2015 Goldwing, black

previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate GL1500 Wing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate and many other Hondas
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Old School -

Hey Darkside - My riding buddy who is looking for a 1500 is pretty much an "Old School Mechanic" - Carburetor Type Guy. A modern fuel injected car or truck seems quite reasonable but for some reason he considers fuel injection on two wheels as witchcraft......

Ride Safe - Michael

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Unfamiliar with Goldwings -

Well - I guess the Craigslist owner of this 94 but advertised as a 98 Goldwing has decided not to follow-up on our request for any Vin information.

Even though the advertised sale price is tempting - I'd cautioned Dan about even getting serious about this bike until we had verified that the Title matches the information on the ID Decal under the side cover and the Vin Number stamped into the yoke.

What do you guys think - just another Nigerian Craigslist scam by someone overseas who is unfamiliar with Goldwings ?

Ride Safe - Michael
Luv2fish likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:12 AM

I personally believe the bike exists and it's not a typical CL scam. But I'm unsure how much faith I'd put in the seller and as I said before, a close examination by an expert is definitely recommended. A properly built bike from junkyard parts could even be better than some other bike that been monkeyed with by non-professionals. In the end though, he really needs to go look at it rather than ask lots of questions. In this case a picture is only that and a hands-on is worth a thousand pictures.

There are plenty of GL1500s for sale. I saw a few others on that Ohio CL page that were interesting. Expand the search area a bit and I wouldn't be surprised to find other really good bikes in that same price range. But even w/o a salvage title, a 25 year old bike more than likely will have some "Handiwork" done to it by someone in it's life. He should expect to look at several before finding that one that calls to him. Also make sure he knows that an Interstate has less features and therefore should sell for less. Not that they're bad bikes, just less expensive.

Plan a day, map out a route and enjoy looking at bikes.

Andy Cote

Darkside #1500
2015 Goldwing, black

previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate GL1500 Wing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate and many other Hondas
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:41 AM

Garage
Nothing on that bike shows as a 98. Even the mufflers are not 98. In 98 Honda changed the tips. There should be an ID plate on the steering neck.I would stay away from it. Everything on it , if it is a 98 has been changed. from the gauges to the mufflers. I had an e-mail exchange with a person on craigslist selling a wing and advertised it as a new SE. When I pointed out the differences from what he was trying to sell and what he actually had he replied and said he got the years mixed up with HIS OTHER BIKE.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

98 in 94 Clothing -

Since the owner is still stalling on providing an actual photo of the VIN - I think it's best that we've decided to eliminate this supposed 1998 SE in 1994 clothing and drive train from our list of bikes. He keeps saying there is a "W" in the ID# (1998 Model) but has only provided a couple of the other 17 VIN digits ?

This guy has changed his story a couple of times when asked about a specific issue so although there may well be a bike somewhere - something doesn't feel right. Especially with all the inconsistencies and memory lapses in how this bike came into being.

The Search Continues - Michael

Last edited by JK McDonald; 08-08-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:55 AM
Lifetime Premium

About 10 years ago a late model 1500 came up for sale supposedly in Bellingham, Wa. about 25 miles from me for only $2500.00. I didn't need another bike but I figured for the price I'd go look and if it was decent, I'd buy it and have an extra around for visitors or family if they wanted to go for a ride. I emailed the guy ( no phone number available) where I was and that I wanted to come have a look.
Reply comes back . He's working over in England and has it in storage in Portland, Oregon ( a good 5 hours away). and if I'll send him the $2500.00 he ok it with the storage people for me to come and take it for a ride, if I didn't want to buy it he'd send me the money back to me. Yaaaa Right.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

I owned a Illusion Red 98 SE and nothing on that bike looks like mine. My advice, Stay away from that one..

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Illusion Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone, but none forgotten)***
Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Elected officials like diapers need to be changed regularly, both for the same reason. Mark Twain
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Wheel Wing View Post
I owned a Illusion Red 98 SE and nothing on that bike looks like mine. My advice, Stay away from that one..
No such thing as an illusion red 98 wing. Illusion didn't come out until 2001. In 98 it was R176C Candy Spectra Red
Two Wheel Wing likes this.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode