May be selling my love F6B Too many issues - Honda Goldwing Forums
 9Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy May be selling my love F6B Too many issues

So you may have remembered I got a lemon ignition pulse generator on my F6B 2013 non deluxe. Started going out at 2k, Finally replaced at 25k due to tired of being stranded, and cost was approx 600 with the filter change. Right after I get this done my transmission is slipping. Well...thats what it feels like. When I am downshifting from 3rd to second, Firmly, and then roll on the throttle, my transmission slips...does not pop out of gear as I originally thought, but a loud bang, speed decrease, then it locks back in...HORRIBLE feeling. Taking it into the shop today for diagnosis. I will wait on what they say but very frustrated now with gold wings. I bought this model because the wings are supposed to be so bullet proof, dont break down, reliable, not the case with mine.......Not happy.
Chopin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Garage
Wow, that is a sad situation and certainly not what we are accustomed to with the venerable GL model lineup through their long history. since your bike doesn't seem to slip right out of gear, I'd be more inclined to think it might be the clutch rather than the transmission, but I'm certainly not a qualified wrench. Hope the diagnosis goes more favorable.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Wow, that is a sad situation and certainly not what we are accustomed to with the venerable GL model lineup through their long history. since your bike doesn't seem to slip right out of gear, I'd be more inclined to think it might be the clutch rather than the transmission, but I'm certainly not a qualified wrench. Hope the diagnosis goes more favorable.
On the way to the shop, I confirmed ONLY happening in second gear with heavy throttle. It sounds like popping out of gear, but it is just a slip, then catches again, and rides normal in all other gears and changes. I can prob live with it, if it came to a large dollar fix but sucks yes. I hate paying a 114.00 charge just for a diagnosis but I guess everyone has to make money.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 PM

Did you buy the bike new? If not, how do you know the issues are not caused by the previous owner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keller1234 View Post
So you may have remembered I got a lemon ignition pulse generator on my F6B 2013 non deluxe. Started going out at 2k, Finally replaced at 25k due to tired of being stranded, and cost was approx 600 with the filter change. Right after I get this done my transmission is slipping. Well...thats what it feels like. When I am downshifting from 3rd to second, Firmly, and then roll on the throttle, my transmission slips...does not pop out of gear as I originally thought, but a loud bang, speed decrease, then it locks back in...HORRIBLE feeling. Taking it into the shop today for diagnosis. I will wait on what they say but very frustrated now with gold wings. I bought this model because the wings are supposed to be so bullet proof, dont break down, reliable, not the case with mine.......Not happy.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:36 AM

I would not be happy if it happened to my Goldwing's and they are old bikes. So I understand how you would feel with a fairly new Goldwing.
NREMTP and keller1234 like this.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:19 AM

Sure sorry to hear about that. Hope it isn't something too difficult to repair.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keller1234 View Post
On the way to the shop, I confirmed ONLY happening in second gear with heavy throttle. It sounds like popping out of gear, but it is just a slip, then catches again, and rides normal in all other gears and changes. I can prob live with it, if it came to a large dollar fix but sucks yes. I hate paying a 114.00 charge just for a diagnosis but I guess everyone has to make money.

If it's only second gear it could be a bent shift fork. But the shop should be able to confirm that. Not sure on the repair procedure and time frame/labour if that is the case though

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Garage
Most Gold Wings are bullet proof as most owner will say but there are those that have problems, even on newer ones. Just look at the technical section on any forums. Granted the Wing sis probably one of the most trouble free bikes out there but just like anything mechanical you can get a bad one.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:24 PM

Baby It A Liitle -

Hey Keller - Just a suggestion if your bike does require a major disassembly for repair - since you mentioned the primary problem seemed to occur during a down shift, perhaps you could extend the life of your transmission by easing it down through the gears as you approach a stop or up during light acceleration.

Have you tried applying power in the other gears and not crank open the throttle as much when in 3rd? The available torque band of the 1800 is so wide and versatile - it wont hurt anything to baby it a little in this case to get some more years out of it.

Good Luck - Ride safe, Michael
keller1234 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Hey all thanks for all the comments. So the shop calls me today and basically said I am riding and have been riding too hard. After first test drive they said they could not get the bike to show symptoms. After I told them how to get it to recreate, they said they could make it happen every time. They came back and said not driving it like meant to be driven. 114.00 please" Wow, that stings....I do have fun in second gear. JK Mcdonald may have the right idea, use third. THE only gear it does this in is second. The shop also told me that it could be just a gear, that is wearing down in tranny and if I keep going it will get worse. He told me that labor would be 3k before any parts. He said he was calling honda on tuesday to get another opinion. I said ok. I think I may just go pick her up and just start babying a little more. That takes me out of selling it to an individual though. If I ever let her go it will be a trade in on new one at the stealership. Budoka I will mention the bent shift fork to them. Is that big bucks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode