May be selling my love F6B Too many issues - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 9Likes

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Garage
I'm not a wrench so I might be wrong on this but it still requires pulling the engine and transmission to do it. I know that sucks but I don't know of any other way. According to the service manual the shift forks and shift drum can only be accessed from the rear of the engine case and that requires removal of the engine.Yes, it is a huge time consuming job. I don't have a flat rate sheet for the labor but that figure they gave you wouldn't surprise me.
keller1234 likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:49 AM

Garage
This is a very broad generality about your problem with second gear but if a motorcycle is accelerated hard each time one starts out from a standing stop it is the second gear that usually takes a beating, no matter the manufacturer or model. First gear is spared because the slippage of the clutch eases its stress but second gear takes a big dose of stress during hard acceleration. Your statement that you have fun in second gear, which probably means pulling away from stops like you were drag racing, has probably damaged the transmission.
keller1234 likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for input, yeah I guess I've been just too hard on her, I adjusted my driving habits the last couple of days, concentrating on more of a smoother slower acceleration in 2nd gear and she does pretty good, no slipping when I baby her a little. I'm just going to chalk it up as any good motorcycle can break if you ride the hell out of it! LOL, not selling, couldn't do it I love too many other things about her after weekend deliberation.
budoka and Luv2fish like this.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK McDonald View Post
Hey Keller - Just a suggestion if your bike does require a major disassembly for repair - since you mentioned the primary problem seemed to occur during a down shift, perhaps you could extend the life of your transmission by easing it down through the gears as you approach a stop or up during light acceleration.

Have you tried applying power in the other gears and not crank open the throttle as much when in 3rd? The available torque band of the 1800 is so wide and versatile - it wont hurt anything to baby it a little in this case to get some more years out of it.

Good Luck - Ride safe, Michael
Yep I have had to adjust my riding. I now do not down shift from any gear to 2nd with high tac, Still fun to ride, I do not gun in second gear now if I got there on a down shift. Now on rolling, I will go clear to first gear and then click to second if I am wanting to take off a little quicker. If I am careful it does not slip! Now though I am wondering if I should trade it in, as will it continue to get worse, even if I baby it....
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:22 PM

Why don't you talk to Gold Wing Gregg at http://www.justwings.com/Other_Services.html He's pretty much the go to guy on transmissions, ghost shifting and the like on the "other" forum...

Les
keller1234 likes this.

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014
GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Drive Guard
Double Darkside - BT-45

Tennessee Travelers #103
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:32 PM

No warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode