Slipping out of gear - Honda Goldwing Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Chopin
  • 3 Post By keller1234

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Slipping out of gear

So thought I was done with repairs for a while after replacing pulse generator and new air filter, but another issue rearing its ugly head on the 2013 F6B non deluxe. This has came on gradually and used to happen about once a month, now it has gotten to happened to me 3 times on a 20 mile trip. It seems to happen when I down shift to third or second gear and then get on it, it pops out of the higher gear and goes to lower, I think mainly from 3rd to second. I am due for a clutch fluid change in November, changed on schedule with manual. Fluid looks good in window and full. I had final drive oil changed about 2 years ago.Again, I did just have my Ignition pulse gen replaced, and I think the timing belt is right there but does not seem like the timing would be making it slip out of gear. It is quite a bang when it happens and scares the ....... out of my passenger.

Thoughts on what is happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Shift firm: Throttle gentle.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
crownfire likes this.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.

Last edited by Chopin; 07-26-2019 at 06:36 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:05 PM

Shift firm, try some Amsoil at the next oil change. This seems to make shifting easier on mine.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

yeah when I'm upshifting it's easy to the shift firm for sure,but when you're down shifting it's a different story, and that's when it happens. I've got right at 5000 miles on my oil so I'll give that a shot on changing, it really did start happening more when I left it sit for a week while I was on vacation.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Garage
For as bulletproof as our bikes are, teh shift mechanism is no race track piece of kit. Goldwings need fairly slow deliberate shifts whether it's up or down. The clunky transmission is evidence of that procedure being required. Most of my missed shifts occur when I try and treat the Wing like my SP...not going to happen. Obviously routine maintenance is also a factor, but not to the degree that causes issues like this. But yeah, synthetic oil is a big help IMO.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

so you would think by owning my second Goldwing and total time for years on this model, I would know how to ride it! I didn't know you could go firmly in a downshift, problem solved! Took it out for a ride today and concentrated on that. Not one slippage, waiting for a hundred more miles for my 5000 mile meter on my oil and will go with full synthetic! Thanks all
budoka, Chopin and crownfire like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Garage
35 year for me with Wings and I'm still learning things about owning and operating them. Including sales training sessions...it's a human factor thing maybe?

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:36 AM

Garage
Glad you have it fixed. Irf you have time google GL1800 ghost shifting, very interesting but Honda was suppose to change the gears so that doesn't happen any morw

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

So I thot that I had solved the issue with just making sure I was downshifting firm too but its seems to be a deeper problem. I have narrowed it down a little more though. It is definitely happening after a rolling down shift. And it I believe it is only happening when I down shift from third to second and apply serious throttle. This just really started happening on a more consistent basis. It slips out of second gear, and with that God awful clank goes back into third. Super unsettling. Thoughts on what else it could be? thanks, will google ghost shifting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode