2001-2003 Frame Crack Revisited - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

2001-2003 Frame Crack Revisited

I wonder if there are any other gl1800 owners out there who, like me, have a 2001-2003 gold wing that did not have an weld reinforcement done to the frame, either because the bike was looked at for the recall and it was determined the welds were fine as is, or because the bike was never taken in for the recall?

You can tell if the recall was done by looking at the vin number sticker under the handlebar. If there is a punch hole in the lower right corner, the recall was done.

Honda also has a site where you can do a recall check but they only include recalls in the last 15 years, so I guess this issue would not be included.

Anyway, if you have a bike like mine (no additional welding done), how have you made out? Did the frame crack? Or did everything turn out o.k.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Garage
This is a "safety recall" issue and it has no time limit. Contact the nearest (or your favorite) dealer and have them run the VIN for you and they should initiate things from there.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:54 AM

Garage
As budoka said it is a safety recall and it never expires. But some early 1800 wings have developed cracks in the frame i n places where the recall did not cover. Like behind the passenger floor boards and a few other places. And on the other hand most of them never had a problem, your sounds like it one of those but I would srtill have the recall done if it hasn't been done yet

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode