Bridges of Madison County - Honda Goldwing Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By ETC
  • 1 Post By crownfire

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
ETC

Garage
Bridges of Madison County

So just for fun we decided Sunday morning, let's go to Winterset IA and check out the bridges of Madison County. So we did just that.

Took the backroads as usual which was OK sort of. Many roads were rough and added 80 miles to the trip. But 6 hours was not too bad and we got there OK and enjoyed the scenery, mostly corn.

Once we got to Winterset (also birthplace of Marian Morris, the Duke) we checked into the Covered Bridge Inn, the owner was very friendly and the motel looked a bit shabby on the outside but was neat and very nice inside. When the owner found out we were on a motorcycle he said "well you will only want to see one bridge as the other 5 are on gravel" I assured him gravel was 2nd nature and we will be heading into the dust bin. So we checked out a stone tower and the first bridge which is in the Winterset city park then went to Hardees for supper only to see police cars and an ambulance outside. We were told they could not take our order as the cook just walked out after an altercation and they called cops and ambulance. I recon fisticuffs were engaged.

So we ate at HyVee which was actually really good so it worked out just fine. Monday morning after coffee we headed out on the gravel roads and proceeded to turn my black goldwing to pure white. Gravel there is limestone so you get the picture. Checked out the remaining 5 bridges. took pictures and did some drone videos. It was a nice warm up ride as next week we take off on a 5000 mile 12 day trip to the west coast and back. Probably not a lot of dusty roads but who knows.

I have to combine all the video and pictures into a movie but here are some highlights

crownfire and TAL like this.

"Take the Right Turn"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:45 PM

Bridges of Madison County

Great photos. We stayed with our RV at the city park where that tower is located. Nice 2 miles walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:59 AM

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy visiting old covered bridges. It often takes you down roads you wouldn't otherwise travel. My bike has been down a number of gravel roads to see them also.

This one is the Roann Covered Bridge (1877) in Wabash County, Indiana.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 08 26 Outback & Back 19 Roann Covered Bridge, IN.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	264217  
Luv2fish likes this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode