Replacing my Goldwing seat - Honda Goldwing Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigdealwriter
  • 1 Post By Darkside#1500
  • 1 Post By 2016blkgoldwing

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Replacing my Goldwing seat

I am looking to replace my stock gold-wing seat with an Ultimate Seat. One of my main concerns is the issue with rain getting the interior foam wet. They do have seat covers but I can see that as sometimes being a pain if riding and you are now running in a heavy rainstorm. Has anyone had experience with the Ultimate seat and the effect of rain on the seat or do you just put the cover on when there might be rain in the forecast. Its a big investment and I want to make sure I am not getting myself into a potential problem as I do a great deal of riding in all types of weather.
Jinx likes this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired From Long Island NY
Now residing in Stokesdale, North Carolina

2014 Black Goldwing
AKA "Miss Money Penny"
Traxxion Suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 06:45 AM

Three Ultimate seats on three different bikes. Love them.

The good thing about a wing is that if you are moving, you are not getting wet. Within reason anyway. You certainly will get more wet standing around. So if you get caught in an unexpected shower, I wouldn't worry. But if you know enough in advance to put on your rain gear, then you should put on the seat cover. If you do get soaked, apply some towels afterward and if available, go ahead and use a hair dryer. Personally, I don't think some wetting will harm it. That's nothing inside that "dissolves" just so long as you don't let it sit soaking wet for days on end. Mold and mildew could set in.

I wouldn't worry. The benefits outweigh the little extra work. Good luck and we need pix!
dwade likes this.

Andy Cote

Darkside #1500
2015 Goldwing, black

previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate GL1500 Wing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate and many other Hondas
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 08:01 AM

I have had a number of seats on 4 wings. Best one was a Corbin Soft Cell. Very water resistant, comfortable when you break it in and the built in drivers backrest is nice. With your Ultimate seat, Try treating it with Leather treatment. That will seal it and soften the leather for a more comfortable ride. Make sure you get the treatment that is " Water Resistant ", That will help.
budoka likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Garage
I ride with a Hartco sheepskin on my stock '09 seat. Yeah it gets sopping wet in really bad rains, mostly from the rain running down my rain jacket and into my lap, but it drys and have had no problems in 8 years so can't see the Ultimate seat being any different. If it come with a rain cover, like mentioned above put it on with your rain gear.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 11:14 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to RayJ
I have a heated Mustang. Great seat. Was in a major downpour. The seat was soaked. It shorted out. I had been treating it with armour all. Mustang took care of it and told me about Protect All. It contains a special wax that seals the seams. Been using it now for over two years. Works great. I also use it on the nose and fender to make the bugs slippery. Great product. Your fears about the care is valid in my experienc. Mayb3 th3 company could tell you what to do.

RayJ

Proud Owner of IDMWT #104
Proud Owner of GEEZER GANG #11

Bike List:
1993 Harley Low Rider Black (Gone)
2005 Harley Electra Glide Black Cherry (Gone)
2015 Goldwing Black
1975 Goldwing Red

but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode