Questions About Helmets - Honda Goldwing Forums
 18Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Questions About Helmets

Where can one find helmet safety data? I'm hoping to find something along the lines of how Consumer Reports tests and rates the various manufacturers and their helmet models.

The wife and would like to get a matching pair of modular helmets. So far the only thing I can find to be certain is the prices of these helmets are all over the place and I don't trust price to be an indicator of "third party" safety testing/rating. Thought's? Recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:45 PM
TAL

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to TAL
Depending on who you you ask, the answers will be different. I have not found an official testing site yet.

I like Schuberth. They are all over the place, Motorcycle Racing, F1, Military. Even though they are expensive I consider them top-of-the-line. Got a C3 Pro and a C4, wife has two C3 Pros. Like underwear, we like to change often - keeps the padding fresh(er)...
dwade and Keith Wilder like this.

Tom
IDMWT Club Member # 82
Have you confessed today?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:55 PM

Garage
https://www.smf.org/stds

this is snell the do testing of helmets and you can find a list of helmets that they have certified
detdrbuzzard, dwade, TAL and 1 others like this.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 06:14 PM

Garage
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/ This is a UK Website, but they provide a very easy to understand 5 star system. They test many helmets but donít have them all. Watch the video to see their procedure.
dwade, TAL and Keith Wilder like this.

Ed
Havelock, NC
'18 Honda Gold Wing Tour GL1800D (frame number 502)
Ď13 Victory Cross Country Tour (Traded for one hell of a machine!)
'02 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom (Traded for a big boy bike)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:12 PM

Keith, try webbikeworld.com. Use the link to the helmet section. There is probably more info than you need or want. But I think you'll find all the info your looking for. Don't forget the "sizing" and "helmet shapes". You would eventually learn all of that, but this way you'll be informed going in.

For the differences between DOT, ECE, and Snell, it will probably be best to go to each website. But take a pen, a large pad, drinks and food with you. It will take a while and some find it confusing, even overwhelming. After that, your next vacation can be spent reading helmet reviews and ratings.

Good luck. Let us know what you settle on.

PS: I have been a member of Consumer Reports for many years. I have NEVER seen test or ratings on anything motorcycle related. A few recalls but that's it.
dwade and encmerk like this.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.

Last edited by Randy Hawes; 07-02-2019 at 11:38 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:45 AM

Forget DOT - most any will pass that. Read what the others set for criteria - some are more focused on penetration or hitting a curb (I am more interested in keeping by brain from slapping my skull). Modulars are often not tested, at one time because none were submitted. Online reviews often are better quality measures than lab test ratings.

Any of the prime brands are very good, but you must be able to wear them comfortably. Buy helmet liners (I use Slik, there are several similar), go to a store and try different sizes, brands, and styles on. Walk around for at least a half hour with your favorite on. Don't try to match them unless you are both comfortable in them. Heads have a lot of different shapes.
dwade, Luv2fish and RickLB like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:39 AM

Garage
I have had several different helmets just like every other rider out there. I like my Nolan flip face and Arai open face, both very comfortable and a good fit. As stated before, go to a place that has a big variety and try them on for size, shape and comfort. You and your co rider cab get matching colors but may not have the same shape head to get the same style helmet. Years ago I saw a sign in a shop that read
'IF YOU HAVE A $10.00 HEAD GET A $10.00 HELMET".
Higher price doesn't always mead better quality but don't go to cheap.
pidjones likes this.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:34 PM

http://motorcycle-central.com/motorc...dot-snell-ece/

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

Former MSF Instructor

Last edited by Pat S.; 07-03-2019 at 01:42 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:56 PM

I really like Revzilla for helmet/gear video reviews and also the customer reviews. Bought my last 4 helmets from them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:25 AM
ETC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Wilder View Post
Where can one find helmet safety data? I'm hoping to find something along the lines of how Consumer Reports tests and rates the various manufacturers and their helmet models.

The wife and would like to get a matching pair of modular helmets. So far the only thing I can find to be certain is the prices of these helmets are all over the place and I don't trust price to be an indicator of "third party" safety testing/rating. Thought's? Recommendations?
All helmets pas DOT specs and in general the protection is mostly in the foam core not the outer cover. Full face is in general most protective and half helmet barley at the minimum. I believe the key is helmet vs doo rag.
All I know for sure is the only way to get a proper fitting helmet is to personally try each one as this is something that you can't buy online and expect to be of a proper fit.

"Take the Right Turn"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode