Updating 2008 Goldwing Navigation? - Honda Goldwing Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Jinx
  • 1 Post By Jinx

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Updating 2008 Goldwing Navigation?

I'm looking at a used 2008 GW with Navigation that the owner says needs updated. I've found an update on Garmin's site: City Navigator® North America 2017.10. for $95 shipped to me. Is this what and all I need to get this system up and running? I realize from Garmin's site that this will be the last update made available.

thanks, Pat

Former MSF Instructor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:15 PM

I think the answer is yes, but I am not certain. I have an '08 as well and haven't bothered to update it because I prefer using my phone and Waze. But I'll be curious what the actual answer is.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:30 PM

Check the firmware. If it is not 4.9 than make sure that the update will update the firmware as well. Came across a Gl1800 last week that still had fw4.3 on it.
Unless the fw is 4.5 or above it can't read the newer maps.
Pat S., Behind bars and Luv2fish like this.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Garage
US models and Cdn models run on different cards in that model runs. My last update (2nd Cdn issue) was not as good as the previous one so newer doesn't necessarily mean better all the time. Having said that, if you are still running on the original card version, it will certainly be better.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:19 PM

2008 US and Canadian Goldwings both use Compact Flash ( CF ) cards and the latest firmware for both is V4.9 . Firmware V4.5 is the first version capable of reading the Garmin NT maps sets for that model year. Both 2008 US and Canadian nav units are limited to 2gb mapsets. That is why if you order the newest mapset for that year you will get two 2gb CF cards. One with Canada and one with the US mapset . Sadly neither Honda nor Garmin see fit to release a firmware update to fix the mapset file size limitation.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Jinx; 07-08-2019 at 04:28 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:06 AM

I recently installed the Garmin map update on my 2008 GW. Since the installation I have been getting several map error messages of "Cannot find the starting point" or "Not enough memory". I never got these messages prior to installing the new map card. I also get crazy map routes. I live in north Florida and we frequently ride north on US-17 to Savanna, GA, 137 miles from my driveway to downtown. When I plug in the destination, the new chip route, set for the shortest distance, is 547 miles, routing me through Atlanta, GA. I find that I have to use the Google Map app on my phone and bluetooth it into my helmet to get decent directions. The Garmin routing is usually 150% to 200% farther than than the Google route, which is not perfect either. I have other Garmin GPS units and find them far less than desirable, but not this bad.
Paul B.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbellwood View Post
I recently installed the Garmin map update on my 2008 GW. Since the installation I have been getting several map error messages of "Cannot find the starting point" or "Not enough memory". I never got these messages prior to installing the new map card. I also get crazy map routes. I live in north Florida and we frequently ride north on US-17 to Savanna, GA, 137 miles from my driveway to downtown. When I plug in the destination, the new chip route, set for the shortest distance, is 547 miles, routing me through Atlanta, GA. I find that I have to use the Google Map app on my phone and bluetooth it into my helmet to get decent directions. The Garmin routing is usually 150% to 200% farther than than the Google route, which is not perfect either. I have other Garmin GPS units and find them far less than desirable, but not this bad.
Paul B.
First check your avoidance settings. Next what fw do you have on your bike ? It has been awhile since I had my 06 so I am not sure how to get to the avoidance settings but it sounds like you have avoid highways set.
budoka likes this.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
George Bernard Shaw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode