My turn signals are driving me nuts. HELP!!! - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ron Robertson

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

My turn signals are driving me nuts. HELP!!!

About a month ago, my turn signals stopped working on my 2015 Wing. I was riding and when I hit the signals, nothing seemed to happen. Took the bike to the shop and it spent the next three weeks there all taken apart with the Mechanic and Honda on the phone trying to figure out what was wrong. Finally came down to replacing the turn signal cancellation switch and a relay, which was replaced with some kind of "LED Relay".

Rode the bike about 250 miles or so with no issue after that. Put it away for a week, then went out for a ride today and the signals stopped working again.

Went back to the shop (another 37 miles) and they didn't work the whole time, until the last turn I made to go into the shop parking lot. They continued to work while they were checking me in, and then started working on and off.

We noticed that if you tapped on the fairing just below and forward of the mirrors where the fairing kind of raps around the forks, the signals would begin to work. Tap there again and they would stop. After awhile of trying to figure that out, the signals just stopped blinking again.

My lighting set up is the following. I have the Electrical Connections LED bulbs in the high and low beams. I have LED turn signals in the rear and led tail lights. I have the Add-On Fog Lights, which look just like the SoCal daytime running light, foglight, turn signal combo.

I need the bike in a week for a trip up to Canada, so I'm getting pretty nervous. Any ideas would be really appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

A few years ago I bout some LED bulbs for the rear tail light for my 93 1500 they work ok sometimes than wouldn'r . Put the old standard bulbs bac in and no more problems.
W1ngin1t likes this.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:12 PM

slowrollin where are you located ? PM me if you don't want your location public.

Form what you are describing I would check the the turn signal relay or the cancel switch/wiring in the triple tree. The cancel switch is in the bottom and the wiring comes out the top.

My bet is the relay connector is loose.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
slowrollin where are you located ? PM me if you don't want your location public.

Form what you are describing I would check the the turn signal relay or the cancel switch/wiring in the triple tree. The cancel switch is in the bottom and the wiring comes out the top.

My bet is the relay connector is loose.
No problem on the location Jinx. I'm in South Jersey. I'll ask the mechanic to check the relay connector. They said they put in a new relay and new cancel switch. Since it was working intermittently for awhile today, it does kind of sound like something is loose rather than blown. Especially since it responded when we would tap on the fairing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:31 PM

I'm in Harrisburg,Pa. My garage is always open . You are not that far away.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
I'm in Harrisburg,Pa. My garage is always open . You are not that far away.
Thank you Jinx! Really kind of you and I greatly appreciate it. I'll definitely keep that in mind!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:11 PM

I sure hoped you paid the service department as it is not a manufacturer defect but an issue with the items you installed or the installation of the items. LED bulbs do not have the same electrical draw as the filament bulbs that the signal switch and relay were designed for. I would check the connections from the LED foglights to the turn signals behind the mirrors making sure they are snug and snapped together. I would also run a zip tie to keep the connectors from pulling apart. I would also get a high quality LED turn signal flasher too that others have had good luck with. Pathfinder sells them if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrollin View Post
About a month ago, my turn signals stopped working on my 2015 Wing. I was riding and when I hit the signals, nothing seemed to happen. Took the bike to the shop and it spent the next three weeks there all taken apart with the Mechanic and Honda on the phone trying to figure out what was wrong. Finally came down to replacing the turn signal cancellation switch and a relay, which was replaced with some kind of "LED Relay".

Rode the bike about 250 miles or so with no issue after that. Put it away for a week, then went out for a ride today and the signals stopped working again.

Went back to the shop (another 37 miles) and they didn't work the whole time, until the last turn I made to go into the shop parking lot. They continued to work while they were checking me in, and then started working on and off.

We noticed that if you tapped on the fairing just below and forward of the mirrors where the fairing kind of raps around the forks, the signals would begin to work. Tap there again and they would stop. After awhile of trying to figure that out, the signals just stopped blinking again.

My lighting set up is the following. I have the Electrical Connections LED bulbs in the high and low beams. I have LED turn signals in the rear and led tail lights. I have the Add-On Fog Lights, which look just like the SoCal daytime running light, foglight, turn signal combo.

I need the bike in a week for a trip up to Canada, so I'm getting pretty nervous. Any ideas would be really appreciated!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joflewbyu2 View Post
I sure hoped you paid the service department as it is not a manufacturer defect but an issue with the items you installed or the installation of the items. LED bulbs do not have the same electrical draw as the filament bulbs that the signal switch and relay were designed for. I would check the connections from the LED foglights to the turn signals behind the mirrors making sure they are snug and snapped together. I would also run a zip tie to keep the connectors from pulling apart. I would also get a high quality LED turn signal flasher too that others have had good luck with. Pathfinder sells them if needed.
I don't think I ever had any thoughts that it's a manufacturers defect. Even it it was, the bike is no longer under warranty, so I'm paying for the repairs. When the LED flashers were installed in the rear of the bike, I believe a unit was installed to ensure they flashed in sync, and it was from Pathfinder. My understanding was if that wasn't installed they flashers wouldn't work properly. However, my problem seems to be coming from up front somewhere.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

I bought a LED flasher relay from Electrical Connection.com. It went south. Pulled it out and it was just an exposed circuit board. No wonder when it rained I had my first issue. The flasher is located in front of the dash and can be accessed by removing the dash cover and getting your fingers down there.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.

Last edited by Chopin; 06-23-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:08 PM

The flasher relay is located up front below the dash. Did they install LED resistors that are suppose to be connected to the metal frame as they need to shed off heat.

https://tstindustries.com/blog/tech-...-vs-resistors/

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrollin View Post
I don't think I ever had any thoughts that it's a manufacturers defect. Even it it was, the bike is no longer under warranty, so I'm paying for the repairs. When the LED flashers were installed in the rear of the bike, I believe a unit was installed to ensure they flashed in sync, and it was from Pathfinder. My understanding was if that wasn't installed they flashers wouldn't work properly. However, my problem seems to be coming from up front somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode