Rev Matching/"Blipping the throttle" - Honda Goldwing Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By tamathumper
  • 1 Post By budoka

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Rev Matching/"Blipping the throttle"

I'm relatively new to riding. During my short riding career, I hear the phrase rev matching or blipping the throttle, particularly while downshifting. I've found several very informative YouTube videos on the subject and I understand the concept. However, every YouTube video I come across are sport bike or crotch rocket riders. Do you cruising or Goldwing bike riders perform "blipping the throttle" while downshifting? If so, describe your method. Or is this just a sport bike thing?

2006 Goldwing 1800 w/Monarch II Trike Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:52 PM

Garage
Absolutely a bike thing, regardless of type. Especially when approaching a turn or any situation where you want to be in the lower gear specifically for the approaching situation, but locking up the rear wheel would be bad.

"Blip" implies rapid movement then release, but I "ramp" up the throttle moderately and let the clutch out with control at the same time, ready to modulate the clutch in or out to settle into the next gear gracefully without over-revving or locking up the rear wheel. It's a "touch" thing.
NREMTP and dsurley like this.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers | IDMWT #97
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Garage
I rev match when downshifting my Wing 95 % of the time. Always have and my track experience has re-enforced that habit. With the former 1800 models, the 1500s and earlier Goldwing models, it only serves to make downshifts smoother (less clunky) once the technique is mastered.

However, on the new models ('18 & '19) with the DCT in manual mode, blipping the throttle will upset the fuel delivery as the ECU and DCT already matches RPM for you. Blipping the throttle on these guys will only add more fuel and upset the apple cart with an over-fueling condition.
tamathumper likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:56 PM

Garage
My riding style:

Unless you are trying to ride aggressively, as in your way late for work or seeing how fast you are trying to get somewhere. There is no real need to do a bunch of down shifting on a Goldwing, plenty of torque and HP to keep ya going. The only time I down shift is when I am either coming to a stop or turning in an intersection, and I know by my speed what gear to hit and go. If coming to a stop I start down shifting after I am below 20 mph, dropping a gear every 5 as I coast to a stop with clutch held in, and if level start and riding solo.... I take off in 2nd gear.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I'm mainly talking about downshifting while coming to a stop at a stop light or coming into a turn. The following steps are what I gathered from some of the sportbike folks on YouTube. Again, could not find any cruiser bike user videos of the subject.

step 1: hold clutch and shift down
step 2: while you still have the clutch held down quickly rev the throttle
step 3: let go of the clutch.

Are these steps pretty much what you all use if you do this type of downshifting? I listed the 3 steps, however, these guys do it so fast it looks like its all done simultaneously. If it is done simultaneously, let me know as well.

2006 Goldwing 1800 w/Monarch II Trike Kit
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:53 AM

Garage
No, I don't blip the throttle, and I don't let go of the clutch.

I ramp up the throttle, and I ease out the clutch, letting the engine re-engage with the drivetrain gradually so I don't get rear-wheel lockup. I can add or subtract clutch as necessary to keep things smooth. This may all be done while continuing to brake smoothly as well.

I don't start them simultaneously, but they do overlap. Throttle first, clutch a split second later.

They're done in a quick and practiced fashion, but I'm not racing, and the speed I do them at is dictated by the approaching circumstance.

I also often skip gears, so I may be downshifting from OD to third, then to first.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers | IDMWT #97
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode