Pricing help on 96SE - Honda Goldwing Forums
 15Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Pricing help on 96SE

Hi all,

I have tried multiple searches and haven't really come up with much that was current.
I'm getting ready to purchase my first wing and have been looking at them online for a few months now trying to get a feel for condition mileage pricing. Today I came across a green one owner 96SE with a color match 97 escapade trailer with 19k miles for $5000. Both the bike and trailer are in very good condition. Bike has back rest, pass arm rests, highway boards, and air deflectors. My initial gut feeling is that the bike is priced fair and the trailer would be "free". How far off am I? I have looked on NADA and there seems to be a huge swing in prices.

I met the retired, very meticulous owner through a mutual friend and have no reason to doubt anything he has told me so far.
I haven't seen any of the maintenance records yet, just got a quick basic history.
Are there any areas of concern that I should key in on?

Any help is appreciated. Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190619-194438GW.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	263595  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:26 AM

Garage
Main concern: Have the timing belts been changed? I purchased a '97se with 24,900 miles last June from a dealer. I did insist on a new set of tires since the ones on it seemed almost as old as the bike. The one thing that I could not ascertain was whether the timing belts had ever been changed, sooo, it was the one major expense I ponied up for. If timing belts go your engine is toast. I have taken two major road trips so far and have had no issues. Runs great, looks great, and is very comfortable for long distance running. Good luck with whatever bike you end up with - it sounds like a great deal - is that 19k on the bike or the trailer? DW
dsurley likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a good deal to me. The 1500's are very reliable bikes an with that few miles the bike should give you many years of enjoyment. I would have the belts check at a dealer before purchasing. If all is good then, oil change, rear differential oil change and tires replaced if necessary. You should be good to go..

Maybe the current owner would give something towards any maint items.
dwade likes this.

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Candy Spectra Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone, but none forgotten)***
Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Elected officials like diapers need to be changed regularly, both for the same reason. Mark Twain

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:49 AM

Garage
Around here, that would be a pretty decent price. Not the deal of the century, but good.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
dwade likes this.

Longtime rider, beginning with a Z50R that was too big for me.

(apparently Photobucket now sucks, so no more States I've ridden in map)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Eric as Lou said...fair deal.

Actually as crazy at this will seem, you sometimes have more "small" issues with a low mileage bike. 1500's are very easy to work on once you get past your Tupperware removal fears. I can strip of the TW on my trike in about 1/2 hr now and as I said they are easy to work on. Even the timing belts are not a difficult job for a mechanically abled person.

A 1500 will yield years and years oh and more years of enjoyable riding and miles of road behind the machine.

One last piece of advice.....Listen closely.....Is that Wing singing the "Ride me" song?

If so then you have found yourself a swell deal and remember once you own it, we are here to help with any info you shall need.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
dwade, NREMTP and dsurley like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:54 AM

Garage
I would say that is to high a price for a 23 year old bike. Do you need the trailer? Trailer is worth about $1000 so your paying $4000 for the bike. Also supply and demand has a big influence on the price. If only a few are available the price can go up, if the market has a lot for sale the price will go down. As said before 2 things you need to check which will add a lot to the cost is tires on the bike and timing belt. A set of tires at a shop will run about $400+ installed and timing belts will probably run around 3 - 4 hours labor plus parts. If the bike has good tires and the belts have been changed offer him $4500 to start, he can always counter.There is a 94 SE here in Calif with 63000 miles, new tires and new battery and r4ecent service but it needs a set, they are asking $2000. Lots of low mileage 1500 wings for around $3000 out here

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE

Last edited by joe in calif; 06-20-2019 at 10:03 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Garage
It's hard for me to say sitting up here in Canada, but while it seems to be top dollar, if the bike wants for nothing, it's not a bad deal for the whole rig. But as Joe mentioned unless you really want/need the trailer, it may be window dressing you don't need to pony up for. Tires and timing belts should tell the story. That's easily $600 at a dealership or more so I'd offer no more than $4000 if that's the case. Like fossil says, once the skin is off, 1500's are pretty simple machines to maintain on your own if you are at all handy with tools.
dwade likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Timing belts and a set of tires and it's good for another 200,000 miles with regular maintenance. I put 210,000 on my 93 before I sold it. Myself I prefer the 1500 over the 1800, but that's just me.
dwade likes this.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

I greatly appreciate all the info.
I hope to meet up with the owner today to get more detailed information on the both of them. I have been mainly looking at bikes in the 94 to 99 year range. I haven't really been looking for a bike trailer combo since it would just be more money up front and I didn't know if I would want a trailer or not anyways. Since this would be my first wing it makes sense to me to start slow on my touring journey.
I can always trade up on down the road Most of the bikes in this area in this year range are listed in the 4k to 6k price range. Mileage being a huge factor it seems.

I have printed out a checklist that I found online so I don't miss anything. It has things that I'm sure I would have forgot to check, so it should help.

Wish me luck, Eric
dwade likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Hope you find that Sings to you "Take Me Home"

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode