Cruise control adjustment? - Honda Goldwing Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Cruise control adjustment?

When setting the cruise control on my 2003 1800, the speed will drop by 2-3 mph and then speed up to 1 mph above the speed selected. I know there must be a way to adjust this. Comments would be appreciated. Thanks,

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:23 PM

Garage
It is usually slack in the throttle cable

one of the adjustments is down the cable a bit from the bars.... there is a thread on here somewhere on how to make the adjustment

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Garage
Yes it can be adjusted and several here have done it themselves. Mine has a bit of a lag but I can't be bothered to adjust it. Maybe next air filter change I might...

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:45 PM

Garage
Stolen with pride at some point in the past and stored away in my Evernote...
==

ADJUSTING THE CRUISE CONTROL ON THE GL1800. ELIMINATE THE IRRITATING ENGAGEMENT LAG. It is NOT necessary to remove the top shelter in order to adjust the cruise control lag as the Honda Service manual states. Nor is it necessary to unplug the key switch from its harness as some other web site instructions say to do.

METHOD 1.

If your going to fix the cruise control lag, there is no need to guess how many turns it needs to go. Once you get to where you can adjust the cable, start the bike, run it until the fast idle kicks off and you are at regular idle speed, turn the barrel nut out until there RPM's just start to increase, turn it back in to normal RPM's and your set. No guessing involved

METHOD 2.

1. Pop out the front speaker grills, and remove the hex bolt that retains the instrument cover from each side. The rear of the instrument cover is retained by rubber grommets, much like your engine covers. Just lift up and the panel will come off.

2. Remove the screw on the right side of the ign switch flange and loosen the left one.

3. Pull the plastic tunnel cover out from under the switch flange, bend it back out of the way and tie it off to your handlebar with a zip tie or whatever, threaded through the screw hole.

4. Now you can see the cables coming from the cruise control unit. You will be adjusting the one with the barrel adjuster in it. Forget the setting marks on the cruise control unit...they aren't accurate.

5.Select the 2 open end wrenches that fit the lock nut on the barrel adjuster, and the one that fits the barrel itself. WARNING!... Before you go any further, tie strings to each wrench so that if you drop one (and you might) you can retrieve it. If you drop a wrench down there, it is gone forever, and it could do mischief if it gets into something.

6. Loosen the lock nut and adjust the barrel outward (ie making the cable housing longer and hence reducing slack). It is kind of trial and error, but it will probably take at least 2-3 turns to get it right. Take the tie off that is holding the cover back to the bars and you can ride the bike and test it if you like. If I remember right, mine took over 3 turns, but yours may vary. If you go too far, the cruise will "over-engage" and that can be dangerous.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers | IDMWT #97
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:30 AM

Here is a picture of the location of the cable. Follow Tamathumper's instructions

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4729.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	263577
budoka likes this.

2012 GL1800
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. Made first adjustment now to try it out. I did tie a zip-tie around wrenches and sure enough, I dropped one but saved it by the zip-tie😀.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Garage
Which method did you use?

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Which method did you use?
Using your suggestions I was able to access the cable adjustment without taking the top shelf off. Today I made a total of three separate adjustments with a test ride after each. The adjustments were incremental and total about two full turns to the left (to shorten the cable). So far I have not noticed any change in the delay but didn’t want to go too far. Will continue to make more adjustments tomorrow with no more than 1/4 turn each time until I notice a difference in the delay. Thanks for your information.

Ken
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:13 PM

Garage
You're trying to take up slack, so you need to make the cable "longer"...

Refer to Step 6 of the second method.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers | IDMWT #97
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathumper View Post
You're trying to take up slack, so you need to make the cable "longer"...

Refer to Step 6 of the second method.
No wonder I found no affect. Will go back tomorrow and turn adjuster to the “right”, first to restore the two complete turns then lengthen gradually from there. I read No 6 but it did not register because I had in mind that I needed to shorten the cable. My BAD! Will post results tomorrow.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode