gold wing issues - Honda Goldwing Forums
 15Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

gold wing issues

As you may have seem from my previous post I'm thinking of moving over to a good wing tour. I meet with a dealer this past Saturday but because of rain couldn't test ride or being in my bike for a trade value. The reason I'm thinking of leaving harley is their problems with the new engine. All the forums have nothing but complaints. Yes I know that's a small percentage, but it is still a concern.
In the two gold wing forums I've found I haven't found any complaints about defects.
So my question is is a Honda like a Ruger revolver, built like a tank and bullet proof?
Or do Honda owners not get online and BMC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:49 AM

JMO: 'Wings do have some "problems/concerns" but maybe not so many as some of the other brands.
Personally I love the styling. That styling comes at a cost however. In order to get to/repair anything you have to remove a lot of covers. Just to get to the oil dipstick you have to pry off a cover. Changing the air filter requires removing (my opinion) an excessive amount of covers and materials to get to the filter. Removing and replacing those covers does mean that you may tend to break them.
So like every other bike there are reasons to like and reasons to dislike. I just happen to think my trike is "Pert near perfect" for me despite the sometimes hassles.

Every motorcycle can outperform it's rider.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 AM

THe Honda Goldwing is probably one of , if not , the most reliable bikes on the road. Many people do bitch about the Goldwing but it is about things Honda did wrong or thing owners want on their wings.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to RayJ
I made the move from HD to the Wing over 2 years ago. Wouldnít go back. You almost never hear of a Harley going over 100k without issues. 200k on a Wing is frequently reported. I donít like the work required to do some of the maintenance items like the air filter already mentioned. I didnít switch because I had issues with the Harley. I switched due to issues with Harley dealers. That said for me the Wing is perfect. It will take you a few thousand miles to get used to it but now I donít like riding anything else. I have ridden it over 40k in the past two years. Going to Alaska next month. Get one. You will like it.
NREMTP and dsurley like this.

RayJ

Proud Owner of IDMWT #104
Proud Owner of GEEZER GANG #11

Bike List:
1993 Harley Low Rider Black (Gone)
2005 Harley Electra Glide Black Cherry (Gone)
2015 Goldwing Black
1975 Goldwing Red

but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

I can't speak for the newer GL1800's but the 1500 were are GREAT. Sold my 93 -1500 with 210,000 miles on in 2016 and the guys is loving it. Now riding a 99-1500 SE, bought it with only 14,000 miles on in August of 2015, got just over 40,000 on it now and love it.
dwade likes this.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

The more I'm seeing on the forums, both harley and gold wing, the more I'm leaning towards Honda. Only thing left is my trade, i have to get it in for appraisal.
If he works the numbers a little better( he gave me quote on the 2 quotes I got from harley dealers. Only thing I'm not fond of I he's charging me freight and set up
My harley dealer waved those
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Garage
Properly done, the set up on a Goldwing (standard or tour) should take a minimum of 4 hours, possibly as much as 6 hours. Lots to be tested and confirmed over and above the usual fluids and basic set-up on another bike. I know what my labor costs are and I know what the freight costs us Canadian dealers (but not what the US dealers pay) from Honda Canada. Believe me, with the narrow margins on bikes (including Goldwings) it's hard for us to "eat" that cost if we want to keep the doors open.
dan18960, Behind bars and Luv2fish like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Properly done, the set up on a Goldwing (standard or tour) should take a minimum of 4 hours, possibly as much as 6 hours. Lots to be tested and confirmed over and above the usual fluids and basic set-up on another bike. I know what my labor costs are and I know what the freight costs us Canadian dealers (but not what the US dealers pay) from Honda Canada. Believe me, with the narrow margins on bikes (including Goldwings) it's hard for us to "eat" that cost if we want to keep the doors open.
The MOCO reimburses the dealers for freight, does Honda do the same?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:34 PM

In my opinion, for all intents and purposes, compared to all of the bikes, the goldwing is bulletproof. Just sold my 04 with 97,000 miles and is still ran like it was brand new. Absolutely no complaints. I now have the new 2018 DCT tour. What a gem of a bike. Enough said.
W1ngin1t and Luv2fish like this.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse54 View Post
In my opinion, for all intents and purposes, compared to all of the bikes, the goldwing is bulletproof. Just sold my 04 with 97,000 miles and is still ran like it was brand new. Absolutely no complaints. I now have the new 2018 DCT tour. What a gem of a bike. Enough said.
Looked at the dct but due to rain no test ride. Is it hard not grabbing for the clutch? I've been riding 40 us yrs and its second nature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode