Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

issues

19K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  GLRider 
#1 ·
As you may have seem from my previous post I'm thinking of moving over to a good wing tour. I meet with a dealer this past Saturday but because of rain couldn't test ride or being in my bike for a trade value. The reason I'm thinking of leaving harley is their problems with the new engine. All the forums have nothing but complaints. Yes I know that's a small percentage, but it is still a concern.
In the two gold wing forums I've found I haven't found any complaints about defects.
So my question is is a Honda like a Ruger revolver, built like a tank and bullet proof?
Or do Honda owners not get online and BMC?

#2 ·
JMO: 'Wings do have some "problems/concerns" but maybe not so many as some of the other brands.
Personally I love the styling. That styling comes at a cost however. In order to get to/repair anything you have to remove a lot of covers. Just to get to the oil dipstick you have to pry off a cover. Changing the air filter requires removing (my opinion) an excessive amount of covers and materials to get to the filter. Removing and replacing those covers does mean that you may tend to break them.
So like every other bike there are reasons to like and reasons to dislike. I just happen to think my trike is "Pert near perfect" for me despite the sometimes hassles.

#3 ·
THe Honda Goldwing is probably one of , if not , the most reliable bikes on the road. Many people do bitch about the Goldwing but it is about things Honda did wrong or thing owners want on their wings.

#4 ·
I made the move from HD to the Wing over 2 years ago. Wouldn’t go back. You almost never hear of a Harley going over 100k without issues. 200k on a Wing is frequently reported. I don’t like the work required to do some of the maintenance items like the air filter already mentioned. I didn’t switch because I had issues with the Harley. I switched due to issues with Harley dealers. That said for me the Wing is perfect. It will take you a few thousand miles to get used to it but now I don’t like riding anything else. I have ridden it over 40k in the past two years. Going to Alaska next month. Get one. You will like it.

#5 ·
I can't speak for the newer GL1800's but the 1500 were are GREAT. Sold my 93 -1500 with 210,000 miles on in 2016 and the guys is loving it. Now riding a 99-1500 SE, bought it with only 14,000 miles on in August of 2015, got just over 40,000 on it now and love it.

Reactions: dwade
#8 ·
I rode two members new bikes last month in North Carolina. Both were the DCT models. They said they still reach for a clutch occasionally. I did too, but the bike was shifting at the same time I was reaching. I was impressed.

My current 2010 just went over 142,000 miles. It was bought to please my wife, but it pleased me instead. A new one will be my retirement present to myself. Either the end of this year or next.

#9 · (Edited)
I own a 2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R and a 2019 Husqvarna TE300i, both with manual transmissions, in addition to my 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT. I actually ride the dirt bike the most and so far the Adventure bike the second most although with an upcoming trip with my son and son-in-law the Wing will catch up pretty quickly. The one thing about the DCT transmission is it doesn't matter whether you reach for the clutch or not because it functions just fine without your intervention. For me after a few minutes on the Wing I just settle in with the DCT and enjoy the almost hypnotic ride on the thing.

The only very small issue I have with the DCT transmission is with deceleration to a complete stop, it can be a little clunky. I pride myself on making straight, balanced stops and start ups without weaving and the DCT takes some getting used to on the stops, but non-weaving stops is doable.

Also, in tight maneuvering situations it requires a gentle touch on the throttle to keep it from going further than you want. Honda has allowed for this problem by including a "creep forward" gear that utilizes the starter motor just like the "reverse" gear except you can go forward very slowly with a push button on the left handlebar control unit. This is kind of cool.

Finally, if you park the DCT Wing with the front end pointing down a slope the DCT transmission will not keep the Wing from moving forward causing the Wing's side stand to fold then tipping the bike over on its left side. Once again Honda has added a parking brake for the DCT to counter this problem. The only thing that you have to remember when you put the parking brake on is to release it when you start off because there is no instrument panel indication that it is set. I rode for about a block with the parking brake still on and became suspicious that it hadn't been released when it coasted to stop pretty quickly.

#10 · (Edited)
I work on bikes of all brands all makes and have for many years. Actually started out at a Harley dealership back in 1972. Working on Harleys does require a mindset particular to HD as each brand has it's "thing". Lately it's been HD and GL1800 and when I rate motorcycles it's not as a rider but a mechanic. The GL is easier to work on than almost any motorcycle out there including HD. Servicing the air filter does require removal of some plastic but it's a once in 50k mile operation that really takes about an hour. Alternator is a 15-20 minute deal that may be needed at 130-150k. Now keep in mind I am talking pre-2018 here. Anti-dive must be disabled as the fail rate is 100% and to do this is a 2 minute job. Actual routine maintenance can be as little as oil change once a year or 7500 miles. Many people go overboard on the fluids but realistically engine oil is all that is typically done on a short term 7500 mile turnaround. Jump start if needed is easy as the battery is accessible without removing the seat just pop off the left side cover. Battery replacement is also a 5 minute deal. Check the oil requires a chrome cover to come off and pull the dipstick. They never need oil so it's an exercise that is uncalled for in most cases but only take a minute to do. Adding coolant? Pull the right storage pocket and it's easy and again 5 minutes at most. Rear tire is a million times easier than the Harleys as it does not use an axle rather a 5 bolt hub and most will simply lay the bike down on the right side and slip the wheel out - slam dunk. In an odd twist the bike that requires the least amount of maintenance is the easiest to maintain. I love working on the GL1800 it is the best bike in the world from a mechanics view.

Now if you want to get into major plastic removal and the ultimate in failures go BMW. In contrast to check radiator level, air filter or just abut anything all the plastic plus fuel tank must be removed - 4 hour job at best. BTW I have one for sale - cheap :)

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
On a recent 4200 mile trip with my wife on our '06 GL1800 pulling a Uni-go trailer, we were 20 miles from the last civilization, hadn't seen anything but jackrabits, and were at least 20 miles from the next civilization. All I could see was straight highway and desert scrub (US70 in New Mexico). Thought to myself "I wouldn't do this on anything but a GoldWing." Oh yeah, 119k miles on the bike when we returned. Regular maintenance.

#16 ·
Don't go to Labrador.
There is a section of dirt/gravel road on the Trans-Larador-Highway where there is no service/civilization for 265 miles . Did it with my 2006 that had 211,000 miles on it. The only problem was when sand got in the ignition switch and it wouldn't turn on. Was 130 miles from service in either direction. took 5 mins. to get it to turn on.

#15 · (Edited)
As said before the wing has probably the least amount of problems as any other bike out there. But they do have problems.
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/does-the-new-gold-wing-have-a-big-problem

Also some say the NAVI is bad, also there is no wired communications, it is ll bluetooth, which some love, but you have to remember to charge your headset.
Like any vehicle some will have concerns and some will not. I have owned 7 Gold Wings and newer had a major problem with any of them. On my 92 I had to replace the alternator brushes but that was the biggest thing I had to do to any of my Gold Wings.

#17 · (Edited)
A lot of what comprises a great bike is what do you expect? For me the Nav and all the gadgets are meaningless as I never use the radio, Nav or other features as I prefer the wind and wheels approach. None of my current bikes have any of the above but I do have BT in my helmet along with a camera and use my cell as my Navigation (the lady yells at me) So in my approach I look at how it rides and handles and how little maintenance it will require. Others probably get into the electronics and gadgetry which is important to them and is a purchase factor. We all have our "Thing".

That being said I just got my 99 Valkyrie out of storage, which is my all time favorite bike, and it has a GPS speedometer and turn signals - that's it. Love that machine. :)

#19 ·
Two-tone Vaulk Interstate is, to me, the most beautiful bike ever mass-produced. BTW, my '06 GL1800 is a PA model - no GPS built-in. I run a Garmin unit on the handlebar. The only reason I didn't buy an ABS version was that I was not going to pay an extra $2000 for the GPS just to pay another $1500 for the ABS.

#18 ·
You all over look the one MAJOR issue with the goldwing.

You CAN'T wear one out.
If your plans are to wear it out and get another one a little newer....... you will never get the newer one.

Reactions: Jinx
#20 ·
Yeah, it takes a few miles to get used to no clutching. I tried to clutch several times during the first several days of owning my DCT. It would just make me laugh and then realize how great it is that I don’t have to any more.

#21 ·
You just can not go wrong having a Gold Wing, that is, as long as you keep up on the maintenance, they will last for many, many years. I went from a 1998 GL 1500 to a GL 1800. The comfort on the GL 1500 is better than the 1800, in my opinion, however, those extra 300cc's do make a difference. My GL 1800 is most likely the last bike I'll own, and it will most likely out live me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.