Traveling with a drone - Honda Goldwing Forums
 15Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
ETC

Garage
Traveling with a drone

Aerial Photography is the new frontier or seems to be. I purchased my first drone 4 years ago and have been using it to capture all sorts of interesting places and sights. We are just beginning to plan our trip to the west coast and my focus is finding scenic areas to fly and film. I have a commercial license so I also do contract work for the Police and City.
We pull a trailer when traveling now as the GL trunk has 2 drones and several cameras, laptop and tablets. It's fun and a great way to capture nature at it's finest.

Anyone else?
detdrbuzzard, Badrider and NREMTP like this.

"Take the Right Turn"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:50 AM

My buddy took one with us on our trip to Scotland and Ireland last year. Got some beautiful footage of us walking along the mountain trails and along the ocean. I had one for a while but since I live within 2 miles of an airport I can't fly it at home. I found I wasn't using it so I sold it.

Would love to see some footage of your trip out west.

Steve

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Garage
I tried flying an R/C model airplane once. Wasn't a happy ending for the bird.

Silly thing is, I could fly several certified aircraft in the day and never had any incidents with them...
Badrider and NREMTP like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
I tried flying an R/C model airplane once. Wasn't a happy ending for the bird.

Silly thing is, I could fly several certified aircraft in the day and never had any incidents with them...
Opposite for me - I've built and flown model aircraft for years, but wouldn't dream of piloting the real thing. With my susceptibility to motion sickness there's just no way.

I got a low end drone just for fun a few years ago just to try it. Not as much fun as an airplane IMO. I would like a decent one as a camera platform, but with so many new laws restricting where you can use them I don't know if I'll bother. Almost bought one when we went to Hawaii last time but then read that you can't use them at the beach so didn't bother.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Badrider likes this.

2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
ETC

Garage
In the US the restrictions are light and you just need to exercise common courtesy. In Mexico anything is fine and I did gobs of flights over the city and ocean. Canada is really tough and you have to be licensed to fly there. In the US you have to register the drone and place the reg number on the outside of the bird (due to bomb threat)

I have two rather high end DJI units now so the video and stills are actually better than my SLR. 4k video with a zoom option. Traveling is not a problem as the airports just wave you right on through.

This is a mix of SLR and Drone footage as stills which I did last year on our 9 day 9 state tour. I didn't do much video as the wind was a factor most days.

"Take the Right Turn"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
I bought a low-end one several months ago, and I'm still trying to get comfortable flying it. My main reason for buying it was so I could easily inspect the solar panels on my roof, without having to climb up there - but I haven't tried that yet! I took it with us when we went out in our RV last month, and tried to take it for a walk - got about 100 feet from where it took off and it suddenly took off back to it's starting point - retrieved it and tried again: same issue. Turns out it comes set up in "Beginner Mode" so that if it gets more than 30 meters from where it first took off it returns - to keep you from losing it. I haven't tried yet to turn off the "Beginner Mode" but another mode I need to try is the "Follow Me" mode - it's supposed to follow you around at an altitude of 10-30 meters. It will also return "Home" if it loses contact with the radio, or the battery gets low - with a 25 minute flight time I haven't run the battery down yet!

Alan Hepburn
1994 GL1500SE with a California Friendship I Sidecar
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:31 PM

Location: Wheatland. Missouri on Pomme De Terre Lake 2008 GL1800 IDMWT #63
Garage
I bought one when we were in Texas. I took it out on a windy day, it went up up and away. Never saw it again. Decided drones were not for me. Fastest $100 I ever wasted.

Alan, Carol & Loki The Bike Riding Maltipoo Dog (RIP, PistolPete & Prissy),

Proud member #63 of the IDMWT Club.
Darkside # 1696
Rear - Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP - 195/55R16 87H BSW - Winter Tire
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:01 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwims View Post
I bought one when we were in Texas. I took it out on a windy day, it went up up and away. Never saw it again. Decided drones were not for me. Fastest $100 I ever wasted.
Hehehehe ................

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
ETC

Garage
The cheap drones are basically toys and have no GPS or high end systems. For $1600 you get one that will hover all day in a 3 inch spot and will automatically fly home if it loses signal or battery is low. Mine will also follow my motorcycle and avoid trees and obstacles as it does. The $100 units are good for learning how to run the joy sticks but otherwise good for nothing else.

"Take the Right Turn"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:59 PM

Garage
My SJRC F11 cost me $140 and it has almost all the good features:

Features:
- Advanced 5G WiFi 1080P HD Camera: The upgraded camera with 120 FOV (field of view) lens gives a panoramic view for recording your unforgettable moment. 5G wifi transmission ensures high-quality real time video - ideals for selfie.
- GPS assisted flight: Provides you with accurate positioning details of your drone. Built in Return-to-Home (RTH) function for safer fly, the drone will automatically return to home precisely when its battery is low or the signal is weak when flying out of range, never worrying about losing the drone.
- 25 Mins Max Flight Time: The High-capacity 2500mAh intelligent battery yields up to 25mins flight time.
- Brushless Motor: It is so quiet but very powerful when running. Breakdown rarely occurs and motor replacement is seldom required, which makes your flight more enjoyable.
- Follow Me Mode: The drone will automatically follows and captures you wherever you move. Keeping you in the frame at all times, easier to get complex shots, provides hands-free flying and selfie.
- Gesture photo/video: you will break the old way of taking photo and find the fresh new thing by make gestures to record your beauty.(within the range of 1-3m)
- Orbit mode: Orbit mode let the drone fly in a circle around a set waypoint and make sure you will get panorama pictures and video.
- User-defined Flight Plan: Open the drone APP, use flight plan at your fingertips, just draw a route on the screen, the copter will auto fly as per the given path.
- Track and recall the drone: Click on the GPS signal icon three times, open the map interface, the map shows the final distance of the aircraft, longitude and latitude position.
- Simple control: Altitude Hold and One Key Takeoff and Landing for easier operation, easy to control, perfect for beginners.

Functions: 5G Wifi FPV, 1080P camera, App control flight, GPS auto return, follow me, altitude mode, user-defined flight plan, orbit mode, hand gesture shooting, Photo/video share, one key takeoff/landing

It doesn't have obstacle avoidance, but other than that it seems to be pretty well appointed, and it's reasonably easy to pilot!

Alan Hepburn
1994 GL1500SE with a California Friendship I Sidecar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode