K1200LT nightmare - Honda Goldwing Forums
 19Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
ETC

Garage
K1200LT nightmare

So I picked up a 2003 K1200lt BMW just for fun. I have never owned a BMW before and figured I should give one a try and see how it compares to a wing. Well first off it doesn't even come close. Now I am not taking ride as this one does not currently run. I did get it for almost nothing as it needs a fuel pump. Well I got into the maintenance and what it takes and here is where you find the faults in anything European. In order to service the fuel pump, air filter and just about anything else you have to remove all the front plastic. Unlike the wing where an experienced person can do a air filter change in under an hour the Beemer is a full day job at best. Holding true to my experience with VW and Audi cars everything is upside down and backwards. I was thinking Harleys were hard to work on but this thing is the ultimate in goofy. I hope to have the new pump installed next week and get it all cleaned up.

BTW 2003 BMW K1200lt for sale - perfect bike, never been raced.

"Take the Right Turn"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:15 PM

Fire Eater -

Hey ETC - I think you'll like this bike. The K1200LT has beautiful lines and was designed to be a serious and comfortable long distance fire eater. Get a copy of a "Clymer Maintenance Manual" to help keep her on the road. They can accumulate some serious trouble free mileage but maintenance wise - there are a few areas to monitor,

1 The rear crank main seal and clutch disc often must be replaced @ 60 - 70k miles because of oil contamination.

2 The ABS brake warning light will come on intermittently with no system fault.

3 The Final Differential and Driveshaft can fail early from a lack of lubrication.

NOTE: According to one BMW Warranty Denial "Over Filling the Differential Can Cause An Early Failure". A higher than recommended volume of oil will cause bearing cavitation at highway speeds which starves the unit of proper lubrication.

4 The fuel injection computer is very reliable but the wiring harness can be a problem area. Also expect the idle control valve to need cleaning often -

After a fuel injected bike has been off the road for extended periods of time - the fuel pump and injectors can need attention. You might try soaking the fuel pump in carb cleaner, then blow through the inlet and outlet lines using a spray can of carb cleaner. Fill the pump in diesel (for safety) and apply +12 volt power to the (Pos/Neg) wires in both directions. By spinning the pump motor forward and in the reverse direction - the original fuel pump can often be brought back to life.

5 Contaminated fuel injectors can be easily cleaned at home using this simple set up. I've successfully used this procedure many times.

Good Luck With Your K1200LT - Michael
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
ETC

Garage
I did read about many of the problems with the K1200 but my main purpose is to fix and sell. I have to admit there is nothing about this bike I like so far but that may change after I sell it

"Take the Right Turn"

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:43 PM

Never Been Raced -

Hey ETC - Sorry, I thought you had bought this bike as a fun project for yourself and were just joking about "BTW 2003 BMW K1200lt for sale - perfect bike, never been raced".....

The K1200LT is fairly complex and breathing life back into it enough to sell may be difficult without a maintenance manual.

Best of Luck - Michael
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
ETC

Garage
Well it's a fun project I guess I also like dropping rocks on my toes Manuals are easy to find and that is usually step #1. None of the manuals actually show how to remove all the plastic but there are many good videos on that so I have not looked at the manual so far. It is quite amazing the mass of screws that must come out, I filled a 1qt can almost half full of screws removed. On the plus side they are torx and not phillips so a power tool works nicely. The fuel pump was seized and not worth trying to free up as the pump they use is a generic off the shelf unit and I have a few in the shop. BMW wants $339 for the pump which I buy for $23 you can get them on eBay for as little as $14.

While at it I am going to flush the coolant and replace the air filter. Also hose it down with engine cleaner as it's pretty dirty all around.

Here is a video of today's progress.

Luv2fish likes this.

"Take the Right Turn"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

I have a friend who bought a used one a few years back. It was a 1999 that had been sitting for about 2 years. It took him about 6 months to get it up and running. He had get a used gas tank because of all the sludge in the original one from sitting. He loves the bike but says new parts are $$$ so he goes the ebay route when he needs them.

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Illusion Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone, but none forgotten)***
Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Elected officials like diapers need to be changed regularly, both for the same reason. Mark Twain
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:58 AM

Garage
A riding buddy had 2 of them. A 99 and I think it was an 03. he loved them. But as I remember they were always in the shop for scheduled maintenance or tires. They are very expensive when new but you can get a used one for a lot less than a used Wing of the same age. A lot of iron butt riders ride them but the main failure is with the final drive, which happens often

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Precautionary Steps -

Hey ETC - Great K1200 LT Video. You sound like you have a good handle on things. I'd forgotten what a pain-in-the-A$$ working on this bike had been. I dug out some of my notes from a similar project and saw where during disassembly I'd cracked one of the two plastic fuel line disconnects for the fuel tank. They can be brittle with age.

Also my intermittent ABS warning light was solved by flushing out the front and rear ABS brake units a couple of times with new fluid. Your ABS system may not even be an issue but - while everything is apart you might consider this as a potential preventive maintenance step.

Good Luck - Michael
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
ETC

Garage
Fuel pump in and it lives! so now I have to get rid of the brake warning light which involves pulling more plastic off and purging the fluids. Once done the 900 bolts can go back in and the entire bike can be reassembled. The journey continues.......

"Take the Right Turn"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Garage
Labor of love buddy...
ETC likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode