Brake behavior question, 2008 GL1800 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Brake behavior question, 2008 GL1800

Back in 2010 I purchased a 2008 dealer closeout GL1800. I now have +10,000 miles on it and want to ask about the behavior of the brakes. Here's what' going on. On several occasions when applying the rear brake the bike has shaken as if driving over rumble strips. The shaking stops immediately upon activation of the front brake lever. This has happened at speeds as low as 30 mph and high as 65 mph. This bike does not have ABS. Also, when stopping on any uphill grade or coming to a quick full stop the rear brake pedal feels firmly down but then sinks slightly when the bike settles. I have had two dealers check the brakes and neither detect anything wrong. The bike was also checked for the brake recall (secondary cylinder?) but found not to have the problem associated with the recall. I don't feel like the brakes are unsafe but don't feel like they are "right" either. Anyone have any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peobody View Post
This bike does not have ABS. Also, when stopping on any uphill grade or coming to a quick full stop the rear brake pedal feels firmly down but then sinks slightly when the bike settles.
I have a 2010 Level 3 with 5000 miles; it has ABS. I can't say that this is normal but I too have experienced the same sinking of the rear brake pedal at a stop and I have thought about taking it in to be checked. I have never experienced the shuddering you have experienced.

=LJ=
Weege likes this.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
2010 Pearl Yellow Wing
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Star Stratoliner S
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peobody View Post
Back in 2010 I purchased a 2008 dealer closeout GL1800. I now have +10,000 miles on it and want to ask about the behavior of the brakes. Here's what' going on. On several occasions when applying the rear brake the bike has shaken as if driving over rumble strips. The shaking stops immediately upon activation of the front brake lever. This has happened at speeds as low as 30 mph and high as 65 mph. This bike does not have ABS. Also, when stopping on any uphill grade or coming to a quick full stop the rear brake pedal feels firmly down but then sinks slightly when the bike settles. I have had two dealers check the brakes and neither detect anything wrong. The bike was also checked for the brake recall (secondary cylinder?) but found not to have the problem associated with the recall. I don't feel like the brakes are unsafe but don't feel like they are "right" either. Anyone have any suggestions.
Did the dealer ride the Wing & get the same response? if they didn't, they need to. It is still under warranty & I would pitch a fit till it got fixed.

Does it do it without hitting the brakes, just on a decel? If it does it could be the Wing Wobble. Alot of wings have it, including mine. I'm going to re-torque the steering stem bearings to see if it fixes mine.

Mark

Mark

2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Candy Ardent Red
'07 Trekker DL185 Trailer
AMA Member

DSi # 563 IDMWT #14
Riding soothes my soul.....

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 PM

I have never felt the shudder but I have noticed the sinking rear brake feeling, my 2001 seems to do it if only using the rear brake. Mine was also checked for the recall and passed but the rear rotor shows considerable more wear than the front which look almost new(32k). When I get off of the bike and touch the rotors the fronts have no heat at all sometimes and the rear cannot be touched. Until I can get it to the dealer 2 hours away I mainly have been using the front brakes.
Weege likes this.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1ngin1t View Post
Did the dealer ride the Wing & get the same response? if they didn't, they need to. It is still under warranty & I would pitch a fit till it got fixed.
I assume they did. I left it with the first dealer for several days and the second for a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1ngin1t View Post
Does it do it without hitting the brakes, just on a decel? If it does it could be the Wing Wobble. Alot of wings have it, including mine. I'm going to re-torque the steering stem bearings to see if it fixes mine.
The shaking only occurs when applying the rear brake only. Again, I have 10,000 miles on the bike and it has only occurred four or five times. I can't duplicate it at will.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Garage
1800's have 'linked and combined' brakes. Unless you physically disable the stock system you cannot help but use both front and rear brakes simultaneuosly, although the proportioning does allow for more of one than the other. If you have excessive heat on the rear caliper, then it's very possible that the caliper is warped which would cause the shuddering. It would be more pronounced with application of the foot pedal (two pistons activating over just one on the hand lever) but if the rotor was not true, it would still be there on the lever too. Definitely requires more indepth inspection/diagnosis IMO.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
1800's have 'linked and combined' brakes. Unless you physically disable the stock system you cannot help but use both front and rear brakes simultaneuosly, although the proportioning does allow for more of one than the other. If you have excessive heat on the rear caliper, then it's very possible that the caliper is warped which would cause the shuddering. It would be more pronounced with application of the foot pedal (two pistons activating over just one on the hand lever) but if the rotor was not true, it would still be there on the lever too. Definitely requires more indepth inspection/diagnosis IMO.
The linked brakes is part of what makes it odd that the shuddering stops immediately upon activation of the front brake lever. A warped rotor would give more of a pulsing feeling, would occur routinely, would vary with speed. Mine is a whole bike shuddering that feels the same at 30 mph as 65 mph. Again, it has only happened 4 or 5 times in 10,000 miles. When it first happened I thought I had just hit a patch of rough asphalt but this was on a road that I drive every day and there are potholes but no stretches of rough asphalt. The second time it happened is when I determined that a touch for the front brake lever stops it. Based on that is would seem the whatever is causing it is in the brake system itself, not at either wheel. Same with the brake pedal sinking slightly after stopping.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikrbob View Post
.... the rear rotor shows considerable more wear than the front which look almost new(32k). When I get off of the bike and touch the rotors the fronts have no heat at all sometimes and the rear cannot be touched. .
The extra heat could be because the rear rotor is not out in the wind like the front so it would hold more heat. Also the load on the front rotors is spread out over 2 rotors which again are out in the wind. I have noticed mine is hotter on the rear as well.

The braking could be designed to put more load on the rear as the rear rotor is much more robust then the front, they are vented in the center much like a car rotor. So Honda knew it was going to get hotter.

Not sure about the shuttering. Perhaps the pads are warn out or the mounting hole are warn allowing the pads to move and vibrate.

2010 GL1800
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:37 AM

I had it at the dealer once the service manager looked up all of the work orders, I believe the rear caliper had been replace in 2003 under warrenty. Not sure if the rotor was also changed, I might put one on just for piece of mind.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 02:56 PM

I have 5 month old (2013) GL 1800 / ABS with 11,000 miles and it continues to, frequently, have that shudder when I depress the rear brake. If I push harder on the brake peddle, or apply the front brake then it goes away. Honda keeps saying this is normal... THAT IS BULL.. I have over 750,000 miles on GoldWings.. starting with the first GL1000, and this is my FIFTH 1800 and this is the ONLY one that has ever done that. My next step will be to contact Honda Customer Service hot line. Interesting to me that this is happening to just a few, certainly not ALL GL 1800 owners.
Oneway likes this.

Last edited by OldGoldwinger; 08-23-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: correct typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode