What Trip Planner works well? - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:02 AM

Garage
I use Garmin Basecamp to create custom routes and Honda's Trip Planner. Between the two I think Honda's system is easier to use. Waypoints can be easier to manipulate and add than Basecamp. The only problem I have with Honda's system is the ability to get the GPX files it creates loaded into the Garmin GPS. They can be easily saved into a folder inside the computer or saved onto a thumb drive to be loaded into the 2018 Wing's built-in navigation system but I have not found a way to get them into the Garmin Zumo through Basecamp. Since the maps between the two systems also have different data bases there may be some incompatibility between the GPX files too.

So here is what I am going to do this summer on the first big ride: I will use the Garmin Zumo 595LM routes and the Honda navigation routes on alternating days to see which provides the best navigation and flexibility. This is really the first test of Honda's system to see how it works especially since the January 2019 upgrade. It would be nice to find out if it works just about as well as the Garmin so the Garmin could be eventually removed from the handlebar mount.

The Garmin Zumo could eventually end up exclusively on the 2017 KTM 1290 SAR for adventure rides only. Will have to see what the verdict is before that happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:57 AM

tyre or my-route app from tyre. basic plans are free. easy to load to gps or usb for 2018/2019's
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRider View Post
Road Runner magazine has one (sponsored by Yamaha) that is supposed to be very good. However they want $65 a year. That seems expensive to me.
I've use both the Honda and the Harley Davidson trip planners and preferred the Harley Davidson.
I've heard that Rever (hope I have that name correct) is supposed to be good.
I use Google Earth Maps to lay out my routes/trips. I do not do the GPX transfers myself so I can't comment on that aspect.
+1 on the H-D Trip Planner. Easy to use and doesn't have the 'usual' steep learning curve so many of them require.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:37 PM

I signed up for a three year subscription to my-route-app. It is easy to work with and has much more options than the Honda trip planner. It is a European product. Easy uploading to the 2018 goldwing as well as any other GPS device.
Try their 14 day trial period and if you like it, sign up
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:02 PM

I use Google Maps online to select my route and special stops. Once I get my trip all laid out the way that I want it, I use the "email to my phone" feature on Google Maps and let the Google Maps app on my iPhone (viz., Siri) speak to me through my in-helmet Sena and lead me through my route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode