Aftermarket Add Ons - Honda Goldwing Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Add Ons

Howdy y’all... noob “winger” here with a 2 issues and questions. I recently purchased a 2008 GL1800 (26,500 miles) and I noticed there are 2 aftermarket on off switches. One I easily traced back to the clutch. Seems the previous owner (dead I purchased from his estate) added a switch that interrupts the clutch electronics. Don’t know why. The clutch works perfectly. What would he want to interrupt that circuit.

The second switch I have traced back to a wire harness under the right from stereo speaker. It also is interrupting some electric signal on a white wire with a black stripe that goes up in a harness toward the dash cluster.

Can anyone shed light on why and what these are all about?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:29 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum! I have a suspicion based on some mods I have read about here but let's wait for someone with better information.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:13 AM

I wouldn't have any idea what that wiring is all about. All I can say is welcome to you from Mississippi.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to the site. I don't have much on your wiring issues, but I know therer are some real dillies that people do with wiring. Few of them are smart or a good solution.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:15 AM

Welcome. I don't know about the one by the clutch, but the one on the right could possibly be to bypass the sensor for motion and allow the NAVI to be started while the bike is in motion. I've heard of that one a lot but have never done it myself so no idea on what wires are involved. You should be able to Google and find instructions for that one. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
W1ngin1t likes this.

2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:10 PM

Welcome to the forum from SE PA.

Since you purchased your Gold Wing from an estate the first thing I would do is take it to a dealer and make sure any recalls or service posts have been done. While at the dealer they probably could give you much more information as to the purpose of the wiring and switches you are describing.

Proud Owner of IDMWT #102
2004 Black GL1800A Gold Wing
1997 Black/Silver Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Wilder View Post
Howdy y’all... noob “winger” here with a 2 issues and questions. I recently purchased a 2008 GL1800 (26,500 miles) and I noticed there are 2 aftermarket on off switches. One I easily traced back to the clutch. Seems the previous owner (dead I purchased from his estate) added a switch that interrupts the clutch electronics. Don’t know why. The clutch works perfectly. What would he want to interrupt that circuit.

The second switch I have traced back to a wire harness under the right from stereo speaker. It also is interrupting some electric signal on a white wire with a black stripe that goes up in a harness toward the dash cluster.

Can anyone shed light on why and what these are all about?

Thanks!!
It is a bad hack of the nav system. The white/black wire is the speed sense to the nav unit in the trunk. The other wire is to fool the bike into thinking the clutch is dis engaged.

Try this at your own risk. Put the bike on the center stand, make sure the rear wheel is off the ground, start the engine and put it in one of the higher gears. Speed around 20 or higher. Now press the menu button , you will get an invalid operation warning. Now wait for the warning to disappear, flip both switches , wait about 3 seconds and press the menu button again. When the switches are set right you will have access to th nav while moving.

Now the clutch safety switch over ride is dangerous , when set it will allow you to start the engine while in gear, and/or put the bike in gear with out engaging the clutch.

Also while the switch to the speed sense is engaged you nav will not update you location and you turn signal lights will not cancel.
W1ngin1t and NREMTP like this.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and thoughts about my issues. I’ve already removed the clutch bypass. And yes the recalls have all been done. The widow of the owner had all the paperwork and the owner kept this bike in good condition.

Regarding the white wire/black stripe. I did what you suggested and it made no difference when engaging the navigation. Each time it failed to operate. I ohmed the bypass wires for continuity and the circuit is closed. Admittedly when I did this I don’t recall if I got the speed sustained above 20mph. Probably not and just idled it in 2nd or third gear. The key to solving this mystery is the white.wite/black stripe. Are you sure that is the speed sensor wire.

Also I have a FI error code 41. Gonna post that in another thread. One thing at a time. 🙄

Thanks again!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:43 AM

Yes on the white/black wire. Once you removed the switch on the clutch you disabled the hack. Both switches were needed for this to work. Another way to check that the switch on the white/black wire is while riding flip it and see if your nav keeps updating you location. If it is the speed sense line your location on the bikes map will not keep track of where you are. It may but I'm not certain be the issue with the FI light. I know when I first did the nav hack if I left it engaged, speed sense line open , to long the FI light would come on.

Here is a link to a thread on the FI codes
https://www.goldwingowners.com/forum...-fi-codes.html

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Jinx;2195875]Another way to check that the switch on the white/black wire is while riding flip it and see if your nav keeps updating you location. If it is the speed sense line your location on the bikes map will not keep track of where you are. It may but I'm not certain be the issue with the FI light. I know when I first did the nav hack if I left it engaged, speed sense line open , to long the FI light would come on.

Mr. Jinx, thank you for helping solve the mystery. I have already experienced the wandering/lost NAV problem. Of course at that time I had no idea what these switches were nor do I recall if they were on or off. I am going to restore this hack back to factory setting. I don’t typically use NAV in my car anyway. I’ll do more research on the FI code 41 to see if others have reported a correlation. I am assuming that once restored if the code comes back it’s definitely not related.

Thanks for your continued help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode