Neck Pain and Car Play Pain - Honda Goldwing Forums
 7Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Neck Pain and Car Play Pain

I was so excited to get a 2018 Goldwing, it was my first. I"m 5'-10" not tall, not short but I get the worst muscle pain just below my neckline at center spine. I is beginning to ruin my rides. Should I try a new custom seat $1,000 an raise the bars. If I can't fix this, I need to stop riding and I would hate that.

Help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Okay so I would not panic here.

I remember myself going through this and after talking to my brother it was fixed.

Even though this is the new Wing it is quite possible that the issue is you're gripping the bike too hard and trying to bull the lady around. Try relaxing your grip. Wings are big ladies and as such it is almost in our nature to think we have to hold on tight and muscle the bike.

They are very nimble and will show you the way if you relax and let them.

Not guaranteeing this is your problem but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
budoka, Terryj and dsurley like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:58 PM

I agree with Fossil. Try to make yourself relax while you ride. I find myself, especially in heavy traffic, tensing up. I roll my shoulders and relax and everything gets right with the world again.
fossil92 likes this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:47 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. Some good advice for you so far. I got good relief on my 2012 by adding a driver's back rest and handle bar risers.
crownfire and tamathumper like this.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:05 AM

Garage
Do you think your pain is from posture, or buffeting?

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers | IDMWT #97
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:15 AM

Garage
The first mods i do is add highway pegs and a back rest. I'm 5'9" and with those 2 mods I can ride all day. I only changed the seat on 1 of my wings and I don't think it made a difference,

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I was so excited to get a 2018 Goldwing, it was my first. I"m 5'-10" not tall, not short but I get the worst muscle pain just below my neckline at center spine. I is beginning to ruin my rides. Should I try a new custom seat $1,000 an raise the bars. If I can't fix this, I need to stop riding and I would hate that.

Help please
What type of bike were you riding prior to your new Goldwing? It would help to know if there’s a change in posture between your previous bike and the Goldwing.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:41 AM

Garage
There are a lot of variables that could be causing the problem. Some of the other suggestions above address them. For instance the position of the windshield. The rule of thumb is to adjust the height of the top of it to just about the same height as your mouth so that you are looking over it instead of through it. One also wants it to put you in a clean pocket of air with little or no buffeting. If this adjustment is not suitable to you and you are tilting your head up or down during the ride that could be causing the pain in your lower neck or upper shoulders. The nice thing about the new Goldwing, as you probably know, is that you can adjust the height and the bike remembers that adjustment every time you start it.

Another possibility may be the shape and weight of your helmet. The ergonomics of your Wing may be just enough different that when you are riding that helmet sits on your head differently or reacts differently at speed causing muscles that were previously unchallenged to tense up causing the pain.

Good luck. I would try several things that don't cost a lot of money. Nothing could be more frustrating than to spend a lot only to find out it was not the solution.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Thank you

Well I"ll try many things to reduce the tense muscles, thanks for suggestions, . I takes the fun out for sure.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:41 PM
ETC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
There are a lot of variables that could be causing the problem. Some of the other suggestions above address them. For instance the position of the windshield. The rule of thumb is to adjust the height of the top of it to just about the same height as your mouth so that you are looking over it instead of through it. One also wants it to put you in a clean pocket of air with little or no buffeting. If this adjustment is not suitable to you and you are tilting your head up or down during the ride that could be causing the pain in your lower neck or upper shoulders. The nice thing about the new Goldwing, as you probably know, is that you can adjust the height and the bike remembers that adjustment every time you start it.

Another possibility may be the shape and weight of your helmet. The ergonomics of your Wing may be just enough different that when you are riding that helmet sits on your head differently or reacts differently at speed causing muscles that were previously unchallenged to tense up causing the pain.

Good luck. I would try several things that don't cost a lot of money. Nothing could be more frustrating than to spend a lot only to find out it was not the solution.

This is good advice and plus one on the lower windscreen. I have had issues with neck pain due to a tragic trampoline accident when I was young and probably under the influence
I tried raising the bars which did not work mostly due to the fact all the risers do is tip the handle bars in making steering awkward. Lucky I did a home riser remedy so no cost involved in that mistake. I doubt a seat will change anything and that is an expensive test. I actually found trying to keep my back straight especially after hours into a ride really helps ad one tends to slouch which really aggravates the symptoms. I also tend to ride either one handed or with my hands laying over the top of the grips which keeps my relaxed and able to sit more upright. Leaning forward from time to time also works nicely to push out the kinks (not the 60's group) on the shoulders and neck. My new wing has a seat backrest which seems like it is also going help.

"Take the Right Turn"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode