More Dealership Paranoia Sets In Ingnition pulse gen and air filter change - Honda Goldwing Forums
 13Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

More Dealership Paranoia Sets In Ingnition pulse gen and air filter change

So I bailed on changing my ignition pulse generator and my air filter and here is why: I shopped the repairs out, local dealership first quote 650 for both, that was about 5 months ago. Took a 2 hour drive to a Henderson dealership in NC, really liked Jesse and the group, but 2 HOURS AWAY. He quoted me 520 out the door for both. Called local dealership yesterday. Manager quoted me 450, did not ask if out the door price so that is on me. Got to dealership and they had me sign paper that said ignition pulse generator and that was it. and had me at 534. Taxes and a 40 misc fee. I questioned it and they said yeah had to charge me...ok, on me for not getting the Out the Door before bringing it there. So then they get the mechanic that was going to work on it and he comes up and says that he normally just goes in from the front on the cam cover! The short cut way and they are going to charge me 450 plus tax for that!!?? Then I question and he pulls up the service manual and confirms the proper procedure is to take the entire shelter off and even have to remove the gas tank to get to it....ok he says, labor intensive but ok, if thats what we quoted you ok, asked if I was leaving overnite and said yes. I asked him to do me a favor and put both the old filter and the IPG in the saddle bag, he said sure. Guy at counter handed me another bill to sign, it was now 569, did not have an air filter on there in beginning he said. yesterday I repeated 4 times I had the IPG part but not the air filter and 4 times manager told me 450.

So that was at around 1030. I walked out to check if the key was in bike for them and notice the mechanic walking away so did not take the bike back. Was sitting there. At exactly 2:40 I get a call, Mr. Keller your bike is ready! I called back and said wow, you guys are quick. Then mentioned the 39 misc fee was BS so he removed...great I am at 520 now..ok....I called back and asked the front service guy to make sure that the mechanic put the removed parts in the saddle bag.

Question is: How many mechanics would need to be working on the bike to knock out above in 3 hours 40 minutes...thats if they took the bike back within 30 minutes?? Remember I experienced the brake recall debacle.... that dealership i do not use any more...they did a brake recall ....4 hour job in 1 hour! Then I took it to this dealership I am at now and they confirmed that parts were not replaced....that was a couple years ago. They redid the recall.

Should I be paranoid? I have 27 k on the bike and this is the first filter change and depending on the looks may be the last for another 36k. What should I do if they do not have my parts I asked them twice to keep? Is there any way I can check to see if filter was ACTUALLY REPLACED, WITHOUT TEARING DOWN? will not sleep good tonite. oh I forgot to mention, I had a front tire put on too!!! I had paid for that a while back and had been sitting there so told them wanted that done too. So they replaced a front tire, tore the cam cover off, top shelter, all in max 3:40 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:49 AM

While I can't do it, I think someone who is used to taking it down to the air filter can do that in an hour or a bit more. I watched my local mechanic start that and he was a lot quicker than me. It takes me about 3 hours to get it all opened up.

If they didn't save your parts I would be very concerned. Again, just my opinion.
dsurley and keller1234 like this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:07 AM

Garage
If you have an inspection camera you can remove the left pocket and go do thru the air inlet and see the air filter. Also, a good way to go just to check. After winter storage it is an easy way to check and see if Mickey built a nest. You can get these for under a hundred and most can adapt to a cell phone or computer.

Behind "Goldwing" Bars

I'm Claustrophobic so I ride a motorcycle

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Garage
A good thing to do is to screen the front of the intake tubes to prevent things (4 legged and otherwise) from getting into the air box, it's a good way to make use of your old air filter (provided of course they kept it for you).
keller1234 likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

My confidence is restored in my local dealership!! So went there today and as instructed both attached in the saddlebag ready for inspection. My left pocket was not put back the way I had set up so I know they were in the shelter...I have my 3.5mm plug I added where the inner com is supposed to be and just tuck the intercom under pocket, mechanic put back way it was supposed to go. I quickly fixed that back. But you can see filter after 27k, first filter change, looks pretty dirty right? Not sure how guys are getting 50 k on a filter, that would make me nervous after seeing this at 27k to go that long. Thanks for comments. I feel pretty good too that they did not have a spare IPG laying around to put in my saddlebag. All good, and bike running like a top!! After living with that for 2 years, nice to have confidence on start up on a trip! I can change and air filter and could have prob done the IPG but It took me 8 hours to change filter on my 06 1800. It took me about 1 hour just to disconnect that stubborn main dash connector! Not a fun job fer sure. thanks again for comment all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190509_140356.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	262701  
Luv2fish likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:27 PM

Easy Peasy. If you are mechanical and work on your bike, you will become more confident and familiar with where each screw and clip is and be able to disassemble and reassemble the bike quicker each time. If not, then pay.
Luv2fish and keller1234 like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Glad to hear that it all worked out Keller
Honda could have designed the regular service of an air filter better
As a mechanic I know that you get faster with practice( like anything)
Most shops work on flat rate so the faster = mucho dinero
Ride safe
Enjoy

every day is a good day.......some are just gooder than others
keller1234 likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joflewbyu2 View Post
Easy Peasy. If you are mechanical and work on your bike, you will become more confident and familiar with where each screw and clip is and be able to disassemble and reassemble the bike quicker each time. If not, then pay.
Yeah, I may have to give it a shot in about 24k, that seems to be a good number on the filter change,
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

thanks all, I did not see any comments on the picture of the filter, anyone think it had more life or should have been changed earlier?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:55 PM

Filter looks shot. Paper filters should be changed every 12,000 miles. Humidity can cause filtering issues that you can’t see. I would have changed it a long time ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode