Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ST1300 to Goldwing, persuade me

6K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  jkoval 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, long time lurker here:
My ST1300 has 71,000 km's and goes as solidly as a train. But it, my wife, and I are all getting long in the tooth. We have an opportunity to trade the ST against a low mileage 2018 Goldwing ex-demonstrator with 2,000 kms on it. My only resistance is the amount of (Canadian) dollars I will need to lay out on it. This will probably be our last bike as we are both in our late sixties, so would want another ten years and that would be it. The ST will be too tired in ten years, so the GW seems to be a good option. Tell me to go for it please?

#2 ·
You've been looking at doing it for four years, so I doubt we'll have any influence on your decision.

Reactions: snave
#4 ·
if what you are after is more comfort you and your wife I say go for it !! as for your ST 1300 being worn out in ten years I say not likely!! the ST motor is as bullet proof as any wing motor

Attachments

#8 ·
My ST1300 has 71,000 km's and goes as solidly as a train. But it, my wife, and I are all getting long in the tooth. We have an opportunity to trade the ST against a low mileage 2018 Goldwing ex-demonstrator with 2,000 kms on it. My only resistance is the amount of (Canadian) dollars I will need to lay out on it. This will probably be our last bike as we are both in our mid sixties, so would want another ten years and that would be it. The ST will be too tired in ten years, so the GW seems to be a good option. Tell me to go for it please?

Persuaded yet???:wink2:

Lots of great advice. Like @NREMTP suggested, take the little lady with you and go test ride one of the new ones. They are a "wonder bike".

#9 ·
The new goldwing is essentially an ST1800 as the styling and sizing is very similar. The DCT is just great and a pleasure to ride. If you love none stop shifting then the 6 speed would be a choice but in general most are opting for the DCT.
I doubt in any case you would not love this new bike in any form.

To put it in Mueller's words. There is no proof that this is not the best motorcycle ever built. :)

#12 · (Edited)
The new goldwing is essentially an ST1800 as the styling and sizing is very similar. The DCT is just great and a pleasure to ride.. :)

Have seen the ST thing thrown around quite a bit lately.

Found ST1800 pics on other forums

Attachments

Reactions: snave and Ralphumor
#10 ·
I love the look and performance of the ST. 7.7 Gallons of NON STOP fun. I have friends who love em.
I just traded my 08 Wing for a 19....What a difference!

Ok shut up...Get the 18 because your wife will love it. Now if you dislike the seat (I think you might] be sure and check out Bike Solutions.com or Wingsoft....Same folks. Your wife will really like the Wing over the ST:motorbike:

Reactions: dwade
#11 ·
You asked the same thing in Sept. of 2015, why ask again?

I'm a former ST1300 owner, and I loved that bike. Yes, as the Doc said that motor is bullet-proof, but my biggest complaint on it was the stock seat which (plenty) $$ solved. I put the Givi rear box on it which increased the storage capacity nicely and I added a Bass marine audio system that worked quite well with my portable XM radio or i-pod tunes. My wife however was less enchanted with the passenger accommodations and she literally begged me to buy the 2009 Wing. Had the situation been more current, she'd have won the discussion hands down and I'd be riding the newer (DCT) Wing for sure. Best of both worlds IMO.

Reactions: dwade
#13 ·
I can understand the trepidation with respect to cost. I went from a 2014 CTX1300, brand new in 2017, to a 2008 Level 3 Goldwing with less than 27k miles in under two years. Absolutely love my decision.

Look for a good used one to lessen the cost.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#14 ·
My ST1300 has 71,000 km's and goes as solidly as a train. But it, my wife, and I are all getting long in the tooth. We have an opportunity to trade the ST against a low mileage 2018 Goldwing ex-demonstrator with 2,000 kms on it. My only resistance is the amount of (Canadian) dollars I will need to lay out on it. This will probably be our last bike as we are both in our mid sixties, so would want another ten years and that would be it. The ST will be too tired in ten years, so the GW seems to be a good option. Tell me to go for it please?
I went from an FJR1300 to a 2013 Goldwing F6B Deluxe and never looked back. I love the styling without the recliner on the back and it is much easier on me and my spouse when we ride now. I have been riding FJRs since my first in 2004 and love the power, speed, and agility. The GW is very nimble and the ride is very smooth. You can still get some good lean on the bike. It is just a great riding machine. Go for it.

Defiant.

#15 ·
Go for the goldwing. Just close your eyes and don’t think about the cost. You will give up just a wee bit of handling performance but gain a whole lot of comfort, especially for your wife. I have a 2006 ST1300 which I drove to Philadelphia last fall and left with my son so we have something to ride when we fly up there. It wasn’t worth much to trade in when we bought the goldwing DCT. We are really happy with the goldwing and plan to spend three months this summer riding north out of the Texas heat

#18 ·
I had an 07 wing and wanted to upgrade. I wasn't sure whether to get the last of the tried and tested 1800's on an 18 plate or go over to the new tour model. I had a test ride on a new model and was instantly smitten with how much improved it was. So I went for the newer un tried and tested model, fitted a rack and bought a bigger roll bag to compensate for the luggage reduction and a couple of air hawks to compensate for the harder seat. 8000 miles later, it's great.

#19 ·
I wish you were closer, I'd buy your ST1300. I loved that bike, from the time I put them together working at the Dealer back in 1999-2001. A friend has one, too. I'm 71 next month but loved that bike along of course with the 5 Goldwings over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.