1500 Problem - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By joe in calif

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

1500 Problem

Hello. I have a 1997 Aspancde. The bike won't take the gas pass 65mph. It only does it when I ride. When i twist the throttle wide open it sounds as if a 4bbl carb is come in, but stops pulling. I've changed all filters, and still the same thing. HELP???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:02 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum, Kujo. We have several people here that are very talented with working on the 1500s and hopefully they will be along soon.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujo View Post
Hello. I have a 1997 Aspancde. The bike won't take the gas pass 65mph. It only does it when I ride. When i twist the throttle wide open it sounds as if a 4bbl carb is come in, but stops pulling. I've changed all filters, and still the same thing. HELP???
Okay so let's start by saying Welcome to the GWOF from Pa. 2ndly I moved your post and @NREMTP post to a new thread so hopefully the guys will see a new topic (always best).

Now for the issues. I would say that there could be a number of items that possibly ail your Wing.

1st I would check the Auto Fuel Valve sometimes referred to as the Fuel Petcock valve. This is located under the gas door and is the silver valve with the fuel/vacuum lines hooked to it. I had one of these go haywire while at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in 2010 and it causes poor fuel mileage as well as performance that feels much like a miss when at speed. See 1st link I posted for a view of it (Item #4). I changed mine in Vegas but they do make a rebuild kit. See 2nd Link

https://shop.hondadirectline.com/OEM...TE1AMAM4F2000E

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1...t/158744/20457

2nd Have you synced the Carburetors??? It is possible they are all out of whack.

3rd It is entirely possible that your fuel pump is weak also (but I wouldn't count on it). You could have that checked.

4th Another common issue is a vacuum leak. This is a high possibility and could cause poor performance.

Obviously more info would be needed to close in on the problem but these are some things to check.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:04 AM

I'dcheck and / or replace the fuel filter too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Garage
does it run good if you hold the throttle steady? My 1500 wing above 60 MPH would sputter and it was the auto fuel valve needed to be replaced. You can test it very easily. By pas it. Take off the hose that runs into it and connect it directly to the fuel filter. If the bike runs good you found your problem.
Chopin likes this.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode