Clutch Replacement St.Louis, Mo area - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ervinsmith1024 Send a message via Yahoo to ervinsmith1024
Clutch Replacement St.Louis, Mo area

I bought my Goldwing new in 1979. GL1000. Try to find someone to work on this motorcycle is impossible. It needs a clutch, after I gave it to my brother and his family to ride for years. He gave it back with the clutch out of it. Went to the only local dealer in st.Charles, Mo. Their quote was $35 part, $1,000 labor. i will never get to ride my Goldwing again if I can not find someone reasonalble to replace the clutch in the area of St. Louis, Mo or just in Missouri or Illinois I am thinking. I have a trailer to haul it. I only paid around $2,000 for the bike. Unbelieveable cost for a clutch, Don't you all think? I can't do it. I am a disable Marine, I could still ride the motorcycle if it worked and I sure would love to ride it. Don't be made at me, I ride a 2013 Heritage Softail classic now. But I miss my Goldwing GL1000 ride too. I should have never let my brother ride it. Oh well, live and learn. I have money for repair work, but not that much for a $35 part. LOL
Anybody know anyone in my area who would work on my Bike?????

Last edited by ervinsmith1024; 04-13-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sadly, I do not.

The issue for repairs is all the labor necessary to replace the part/parts. An unfortunate situation.

Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

the labor cost is soo high because the motor has to come out the frame to do the job, the clutch is at the back of the motor

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'11 GSA
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
moa

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:34 PM

Get your brother to pay for it, hes the one that drove it and broke it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 AM

Check Neihaus Cycle in Litchfield, IL. They're about an hour north on 55 from St Louis. They do great work. Give them a call. https://www.niehauscycle.com/index.htm

2006 Navi- Triked in 2013
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Garage
The other option is to see if there is an independent shop in the area. While it's true that the newer more intricate model designs are harder to work on, the early versions are much simpler in design and therefore easier to work on and you don't need a rocket scientist to do the job; any m/c wrench worth his salt can do it with relative ease once the motor is out of the frame.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:49 PM

Clutch Disc Replacement -

Hey Ervin - The Goldwing is well known for their exceptionally long life when properly maintained - even the older 4 cylinder bikes. So it's always too bad when the repair costs vs keeping one on the road becomes a coin toss.... Depending on how mechanically inclined you are or your brother - the working space is tight but on 1979 GW all the clutch discs can be replaced without removing the motor from the frame.

As the clutch basket innards are disassembled - "PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION" to the sequence and alignment of each clutch disc/steel disc/clutch disc/steel disc/etc.... as they are removed. Usually the steel discs are reusable - You will need a special socket with 4 protruding fingers to remove the nut holding the clutch pac in place. Several versions are available on Ebay so verify which socket fits which year bike.....I believe the PP2791 fits your bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pit-Posse-O...75.c100623.m-1

Do a google search for more information but here is a basic write-up on the steps and procedure involved.

http://wingovations.com/clutch-centre-nut/4579471092

Good Luck - Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode