I Get Away Quick From These Type Vehicles - Honda Goldwing Forums
 25Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I Get Away Quick From These Type Vehicles

Many years ago a dear friend said that his whole life flashed in front of him when he was riding behind a painter’s van that had a ladder on its roof rack. He said he saw the ladder wiggle and then just lift off the rack and in slow motion fall on pavement behind the van. The aluminum ladder skidded sideways to block the entire lane. He locked up his bike ( anti-locking brakes not invented yet) barely keeping it upright.

After hearing his near death experience when I am riding and come upon any vehicle that looks similar to this I keep a leary eye on ladders and jumbled load of what ever in trailers, truck beds etc. Roofing contractors especially.

Even if not on motorcycle I am looking at the load of whatever saying “I wonder how well that stuff is tied down?”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0FA013B1-349B-49F8-888E-F9154819CB18.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	261967  

Mike
2013 GL1800, Level III
1996 HD Heritage Softail Classic (sold this past summer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Wing View Post
Even if not on motorcycle I am looking at the load of whatever saying “I wonder how well that stuff is tied down?”
You don't want to know. I wish I had pictures of stuff I saw doing commercial motor vehicle inspections.

This pickup had pallets stacked up eight feet high, with straps over the top of the pallets ...... with the straps hooked to the bottom pallet. Not connected to the truck at all.
At least when they tipped over they would have done it as a unit.

Semis with the brakes on the tractor disconnected, so the brakes on the trailer (that someone else pays to maintain) are doing all the braking.
You know what percentage of braking comes from the front vs the rears.

After everything I saw, I stay away from commercial vehicles to the greatest extent possible.

Alan in Denver
2012 GL1800 Comfort/Audio/Nav/ABS
2016 Ducati Multistrada S
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

The local paper showed a local building material truck that hauls drywall sheets and has a small tow motor in back. Suppose to be chained to the truck.....not one day....it came loose and took out a public bus stop shelter out in front of elementary school. Luckily no one injured. It was maybe 1/2 mile from building material store that it was loaded at.

I cringe at PVC pipe atop plumbing trucks too.
NREMTP likes this.

Mike
2013 GL1800, Level III

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:07 PM

Garage
Special Wing......... funny you should post that picture....
On my way to work this morning (mostly on the Wing), in the distance I saw emergency flashers going on some vehicle. Barely getting light, so couldn't tell what was up that far ahead. I started to slow up as I came up the hill before where I thought they were..... first I spotted a man walking back my direction on the shoulder...... then I spotted the twisted up remnants of an extension ladder...... looked like it had been hit by a truck....... bottom of next hill was semi with flashers going and driver with flashlight looking around under his truck..... guess it WAS hit by a truck.

In my neck of the woods.......... have to watch out getting behind all sorts of farm trailers..... first thing..... best assume that NONE of the lights work...... and if anything is on or in the trailer.... it is not tied down.
Worst ever came across..... and almost had a wreck..... coming up behind a pickup pulling a stock trailer as approaching a place where dirt county roads go both left and right from the highway.... the right turn signal is blinking on the trailer.... so I start around on the left..... just as I get half past the trailer...... I see the left turn signal blinking on the truck.....talking about hard braking and hard left turn to turn with the truck. I got him to stop.... and showed him the problem..... he actually apologized. Caught me by surprise.
NREMTP likes this.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:35 AM

Let's not forget the fools that buy a mattress at a yard sale and tie it to the roof with twine going through the rear windows!

Steve

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Exactly!!! Or the Weekend movers who borrow a pickup or trailer saying to themselves “....nah, that will not fall out if I drive careful....”😇
dsurley likes this.

Mike
2013 GL1800, Level III
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:19 AM

Here's a sad story:

http://www.valkyrieforum.com/bbs/ind...,106084.0.html

I am in the minority but I do not pass turning vehicles, turn signals or not. Not only are the turning vehicles a threat but everyone around them becomes unpredictable. I've even had cars behind me blow their horn for not going around. In their mind a turn signal overrides safe passing laws.

Two years ago I was turning RIGHT onto my road with my GL1500. Two 1156 turn signal bulbs, Muth mirror lights, six 1157 brake light bulbs and a car passed me on my RIGHT for some unknown reason. Complete miss thankfully but thirty years ago same thing happened at same intersection while my sister was driving a boat (Coupe de Ville) and she got side swiped. No injuries to her. Other woman was bruised up some. Cop confirmed Caddy's lights were working fine and operating at the time according to a witness.
Stratman likes this.

Andy Cote

Darkside #1500
2015 Goldwing, black

previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate GL1500 Wing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate and many other Hondas
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:50 AM
ETC

Garage
Let's see, well once we were riding along and came over a hill and right there was a whale laying crossways in the road, OK inflatable that flew out of a boat. I swerved around it then turned around and anchored it to a fence post so the owner could retrieve it.
The closest call was riding down the road and I came over a hill just to see a truck full of satellites (toilets) backing up the hill. I had no time to slow down so I did a lane split and went right down the centerline between him and oncoming traffic at 60 mph. Later on I found out someone had been behind me and crashed into the truck. Pretty crappy deal all around.

Then there was the time I was riding along the ocean and I hit an octopus and it crawled away. I called the cops but they wouldn't believe me as they said there were no squid marks.
NREMTP and dsurley like this.

"Take the Right Turn"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2fish View Post
Let's not forget the fools that buy a mattress at a yard sale and tie it to the roof with twine going through the rear windows!

Steve
...and then the driver has his hand out the window trying to hold on to the mattress!
Special Wing likes this.

Alan Hepburn
1994 GL1500SE with a California Friendship I Sidecar
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:46 PM

I never follow anyone close, if there's an option. I was following a p/up truck with an open tailgate and when he hit a bump, an entire set of golf clubs came out of the bag and proceeded to launch toward me.
No one hurt but lesson learned!
Strat
Special Wing and NREMTP like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode