I Get Away Quick From These Type Vehicles - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 25Likes

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:30 PM

Road Alligator -

One of the scariest moments I've ever had was being boxed in beside an 18 wheeler on interstate as the nearest trailer tire made it's last few Wop-Wop-Wop death revolutions. With no escape, I was caught in the left lane beside the rear axles as the noise was becoming louder and the ply's began to hit the trailer. The worst part was that the cars stacked in front and behind me and this 18 wheeler were oblivious to the on coming potential danger of a road alligator. There was no way I was going to split lanes along the length of that truck at 75mph so I slowed down just enough to finally squeeze in behind and then move over to the maintenance lane.

My maneuver must have really PI$$ED OFF the guy behind me because I got a long blast of his horn along with the "One Finger Salute". I waited a good 15 minutes before pulling back into traffic to make sure all those guys were well on their way - don't know what happened to the tire.

Now-a-days every time I see the tire remnants of a Road Alligator from an 18 wheeler I count my blessings and continue to make every effort to avoid interstate when ever possible.......

Ride Safe - Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00t0t_25OJTX1aHDo_600x450.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	261981  

Last edited by JK McDonald; 04-11-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:56 PM

Garage
by far the scariest, but but luckily turned out ok for everyone was this:

My wife and I were headed southbound on I35E from Denton, TX going thru Lewisville, TX..... three lanes of traffic, we were in my Dodge 2500 running the center lane ( I like being able to dodge either way if possible, sometimes doesn't work). As we are driving we both spot a recliner laying off the side of the road. Not far down the road cars start splitting left and right from the center lane. Quick glance, cars right beside me on both sides and one tight on my a%%, just as I spot the box in the right half of my lane, on the box it says "Lazy Boy". Told my wife to hang on and that I hope that is the box that the recliner came from and not another one still in a box. I grab the steering wheel hard with both hands, I do have a big gnarly grill guard, eased as far left as I can so it will catch the right push bars, it starts to go under the truck and to the right, it lifts the front of the truck a few inches off the road, but I don't feel it hit the rear. I look in the rear view mirror to see the box ripped in half.............................................. ..................... and stuffed toys all over all 3 lanes of traffic. Luckily no one wrecked.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:53 PM
ETC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
I never follow anyone close, if there's an option. I was following a p/up truck with an open tailgate and when he hit a bump, an entire set of golf clubs came out of the bag and proceeded to launch toward me.
No one hurt but lesson learned!
Strat
On the plus side you get a mulligan on this one and you got to straighten out your drive.
crownfire and jcsouders5464 like this.

"Take the Right Turn"

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2fish View Post
Let's not forget the fools that buy a mattress at a yard sale and tie it to the roof with twine going through the rear windows!

Steve
Or as I have seen here in Fredericksburg, A hand out each window holding it down.

IDMWT Member #96

J.C.
1975 Honda GL1000 Mule deer really liked it
1982 Honda CM450E 118K when finally fell apart
2007 Yamaha V-MAX Rejetted Carbs made it scary fast.
2014 Goldwing Basic in black

Ride everyday except when raining (or snowing) on the way to work.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 PM

Better yet is the mattress being held on the roof by the driver and three passengers - no string, rope, bungees, nothing!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:58 AM

People on the way to the dump , no trailer brakes, bags of recycles, road gators (recaps off of semis).......the list goes on
Our observational skills are always being tested
Ride safe

every day is a good day........some are gooder than others
dsurley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode