GL1800 trike riding stability - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hawes View Post
Fossil, are you talking psi in the rear tires or in the air suspension?

Mike, I know the guys above are experienced and have good knowledge. But I disagree with trying to level the trike by changing air pressure in the tires. You're not gonna be on that road all the time. Many roads, especially some of the interstates, have much less of a canter if any. There, you're going to feel you're leaning to the left. Do you want to repeatedly stop and adjust your air pressure?

Varying the psi between the tires can cause (1 the trike to pull to the side with the less pressure, (2 unequal tire wear, (3 affect the brake performance. And I'm sure there's more.

I simply try to keep an equal psi. If I feel a lean, I look at the vehicle in front of me. If that also appears to be leaning, I keep going. If the vehicle, or the road, ahead appear to be closer to level, depending how much my trike is leaning, I may stop at the next available place to pull over safely, or continue to the next service center.
Yes Randy, I was talking about rear suspension. I too agree with you and run the same psi in both tires. That leaning of the trike with a crowned road I basically ignore. As for tire pressure I usually run 23-24 psi.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, good info. I'll play with the air pressure and check the shock adjustment.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Good point Randy. Thanks for clarifying Fossil....by the way Fossil, those docs really helped..

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:47 AM
ETC

Garage
I'm surprised at the high tire pressure. I would think with the weight and tire size 16-18 psi would be about right. At 30 I doubt the tires can stay on the ground when going over bumps.
The lean to the right thing is due to road crown and in time you get so used to these things that feeling will just vanish.

Also when cornering you don't lean - use a stiff arm against the handlebar to keep your upper body secure and just have faith in the stability of the trike. Leaning is a bad habit that causes more problems for the riders.

As soon as the weather here warms up I am going to do a how to ride video for trikes to detail some of the do's and don'ts. To my knowledge no one has ever done a trike riding how to video.

"Take the Right Turn"
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

What size tires are y'all running?
post #16 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Garage
My 1500 trike had 60 series M/T's and if memory serves they were 16 inch rims. Don't quote me on that though, it's been over 25 years...

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode