Roadsmith Trike Auxiliary Fuel Pump - Honda Goldwing Forums
 11Likes
  • 2 Post By fossil92
  • 2 Post By 823Jim
  • 7 Post By MontanaMac

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Roadsmith Trike Auxiliary Fuel Pump

I have seen a lot of operational questions on this topic, but none about R&R an auxiliary fuel pump. I just bought a 2007 Wing with the 5 gallon auxiliary tank. It had 7,500 miles on it and the guy I got it from got it from a friend's wife after he passed. The problem was it had sat for years. The first stop was the Honda shop for a full service and total inspection. I had put some fuel and seafoam in the tank and took it for a ride to slosh it around, then had Honda empty and clean the tank. When I picked it up, they said the pump condition was questionable, but they didn't,t test it after cleaning the tank. No time to test right then, so I brought it home. Well, needless to say, it won't transfer. I have two lights, hear an audible click when I turn it on when on acc. When running the trike, nothing transfers. I rode 5 minut.es, the needle never moved.

I'm not a mechanic, but a pretty good parts changer. The plan is to clamp off the fuel line, remove the pump, make sure gas is getting to it, then replace the pump. The problem I have as a "parts changer" is knowing the best way to access the pump. Step one, find it. Once I know where it is, what is the best way to access it? I don`t have a lift, so a cheap floor jack and stands are my only option, if needed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
@MontanaMac , I do not have a second fuel tank on my trike, however as a mechanical access, there is no issue with a floor jack and stands to work on your machine. I have done that numerous times to change fluid in the differential, install new brake shoes, and also to take off wheels. The only issue is that the trike may be a bit side heavy as it comes up. I usually just place a hand on the rear bumper and balance as I run the jack.

Now as far as the auxiliary pump goes. I am not familiar with that operation but before you jump too far ahead, try to locate the relay that runs the pump, check that 1st, then perhaps look for a fuse that protects the pump. It may be just an electrical issue and you may not have to pull the fuel pump at all.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.
NREMTP and MontanaMac like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 AM
My brother had n 1800 Roadsmith that the aux. tank pump quite working on and it indeed wound up being the relay had failed, as fossil has already suggested.
I did find a diagram that might help you.
http://www.roadsmithtrikes.com/media...4-complete.pdf

Roll down to pages 14 & 15 of the pdf. Hope this is helpful.

Sorry first link is for the 1500. I am posting link for 1800 also, but it does not have as good of diagram.
http://www.roadsmithtrikes.com/media...0-complete.pdf

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, Beartooth Clan member, IDMWT #89, 2018 Beer Cap Champ

Last edited by 823Jim; 03-11-2019 at 09:32 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

I started reading, sorry that is for a 1500. Different fuel pump set up/switching. I did get in contact with ALL OUT Motorsports/The Trike Shop in Daytona. Even with it being Bike Week, they will find time to fix it while I wait tomorrow morning when they open. They said it was built there, they will fix it. I'm an hour and a half away and will run down early tomorrow. Thanks for trying to help. I can hear the solenoid switching when the switch is thrown, they said it is probably the pump and it's an easy fix.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMac View Post
I started reading, sorry that is for a 1500. Different fuel pump set up/switching. I did get in contact with ALL OUT Motorsports/The Trike Shop in Daytona. Even with it being Bike Week, they will find time to fix it while I wait tomorrow morning when they open. They said it was built there, they will fix it. I'm an hour and a half away and will run down early tomorrow. Thanks for trying to help. I can hear the solenoid switching when the switch is thrown, they said it is probably the pump and it's an easy fix.
Yeah, realized that was a 1500 after I posted, sorry. Glad you are getting it in for the fix so quickly. Good luck and have a beer while your in Daytona wish I were there.
crownfire and MontanaMac like this.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, Beartooth Clan member, IDMWT #89, 2018 Beer Cap Champ
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Had a great ride down to Daytona, it's the middle of Bike Week but the Trike Shop of Daytona jumped on it. 90 minutes later I had a new fuel pump and filter. Everything works great! Already made a transfer on the way home. Sooo convenient.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk
fossil92, budoka, Chopin and 4 others like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Garage
Glad you're sorted!

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode