Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

12/16000 mileage maintance

4K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  RayJ 
#1 ·
I bought a 2005 gl1800 3 weeks ago, during the top off of fluids the coolant reservoir has a hole in it..

I am considering taking to the Honda shop let them do the maintance, anyone have a idea what a fair cost would be..
GL has less than 16K miles..
thanks
fmc

#2 ·
The cost would depend on what they do and what their hourly rate is. I've never seen any dealer advertise costs for routine maintenance. Just replacing the air filter is about a 1 1/2 to 2 hour job, at least $200. On my 2004, I could change the filter in less than 1 1/2 hours. First time took about 2 1/2 hours.
About the same for brake and clutch bleed.
Most dealers charge a minimum 1 hour labor rate, so an oil change probably would be 1 hour plus oil and filter.
Some dealers may flat rate the oil change, you would have to check with the dealer.
If you are handy with tools, most of the normal maintenance can be done at home.
Plus, it's let's you get familiar with the bike!

#4 ·
I'm only 70, but i still manage to do all my own maintenance. Sometimes it takes a while to get it the ambition to do it. For me it's just the satisfaction of doing it myself. I usually pay for it the next day with the aches and pains.
I do have a great dealer, plus they are very careful. Some dealers use a general labor tech to do this, not always familiar with the Goldwing. I am lucky that the lead tech does mine. The only problem is he broke one of the TPMS sensors while changing tires ( I always buy my tires from the dealer), and he admitted it and replaced the sensor at no cost to me.
There are some things, however, that are best left to the experienced tech.

#5 ·
with only 16k miles..... not really anything to do other than an oil change. (in my opinion)

My air filter goes waaaaay farther than the manual says.... in the area that I live and ride...
It is easy to go 40-50k miles on air filters.

The only thing with yours is that since it is 14years old..... have any critters made a winter home in the air cleaner box through the years.

Spark plugs on mine at 30k miles still looked fine.... but since I had bought new.... I put in the new... but put the old ones back in the boxes and in my tool box.....

#6 ·
Brake and clutch fluid should be changed if you don't know how old it is. Should be done every 2 years regardless of mileage. Brake fluid is hydroscopic. It attracts moisture, even is a so called sealed system.
Also, you don't know if the coolant has been changed. Honda recommends every 24,000 miles. Sounds l ikeit has low miles, but it has been sitting a lot.
Here is a very good video showing the coolant change.

#27 ·
I have not read thru the complete set of messages, but just in case no one else said anything, one more suggestion. Since your reservoir had a hole in it, I assume you do not have a belly pan on the bike. If not get one quickly. You can get them from Wing Stuff. The reservoir sticks below the motor and you will get another hole shortly without the pan. Also, the motor is aluminum and I have read stories of bad things happening. It is good insurance.

#9 ·
Since you had the system open for the reservoir replacement, watch your coolant level and make sure there were/are no air locks in the process. Dual rad systems can be a tad tricky to get the proper level back in them. Just speaking from experience.:wink2:

#11 ·
Reactions: JKWinger
#13 ·
#15 ·
I made a guard just for the canister. I bent and formed a piece of aluminum sheet in the shape of the bottom of the canister.
I mounted it with some 3M double faced tape.
The belly pan works, but in my case I would have had a problem loading the bike into my toy hauler. You do lose clearance with the belly pan.

#17 ·
I installed my pan because I ripped the the reservoir wide open trying to load the bike on a U-Haul bike trailer. I lost about 1/8 inch of clearance. I can live with that. If that 1/8 of an inch hits the trailer going up, the pan will scrape but so what. At least the bottle won't rip again.

#16 ·
I ripped a hole in my coolant reservoir last summer just before Americade. The part was $56 bucks or so, and they charged me a little less than an hours worth of labor, because the guy did the job in about 40 minutes and I don't even think it really took that long. I wish I could have watched him so I would know how to do it, but judging by how fast he did it, it just couldn't be too difficult.

#19 ·
I just purchased a 2007 in November. I've found that the maintenance on the GL1800 is overall pretty easy to do minus the air filter. I just replaced the air filter yesterday and though it took some time the job really isn't that hard.

I'm replacing the coolant next. I have bled the clutch and rear brake, but will be doing a complete brake bleed. My 2007 has 16K miles on it, so there is no need for plugs yet. The spark plugs will be easy on the horizontal six. I've also replaced the rear tire. I removed the rear wheel by removing the rear access panel. I didn't like the idea of dumping it on its sided to remove the rear wheel. With all the reports of damage to the underside, a belly pan is the next accessory before my luck runs out.

#21 ·
dezzertrider

YOUR GL AND MINE ARE ABOUT THE SAME YR AND MILEAGE, was your air filter very dirty...
I have the oil and filter ready to change out was 18 this morning, hope to get it done later this week.
already topped off the brake and clutch fluid also the rear drive lube replaced.

Thanks for reply
FMC

#23 ·
YOUR GL AND MINE ARE ABOUT THE SAME YR AND MILEAGE, was your air filter very dirty...
I have the oil and filter ready to change out was 18 this morning, hope to get it done later this week.
already topped off the brake and clutch fluid also the rear drive lube replaced.

Thanks for reply
FMC

FMC

The air filter I would say was about medium. There was some surface dirt on top of the skirts, but when I held it up to light, you could still see through it. I would say I could have gone another 8-10K on it, however it's been in there for 12 years, so probably a good idea to replace it.

#22 ·
Instead of just topping off the clutch and brake fluids, you should have bled both systems. I feel if they were low enough to add fluid, they haven't been done for a while.

What color was the fluid before you added some? If it looked cloudy or amber colored it needs changed.
It's your 'new bike', but in my opinion, it should be done. Mileage really has nothing to do with it. The fluid WILL attract moisture.
I believe Honda recommends every 2 years or 24,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.