Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shave down my seat.

7K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  823Jim 
#1 ·
Morning all,

I've put a couple hundred miles on my GW now and am really enjoying it, however, when I come to a dead stop, I'm on my tip toes.

The seat is in excellent condition, cosmetically speaking..so to pinch my pennies, I'd keep it if I can (although I'm removing the backrest so I can get off and on easier), and am thinking an upholsterer can shave it down for me enough so my feet will reach the ground and I'll be flat footed at a stop light.

Also, I'm getting the brake recall handled at the end of the month; while it's in the shop, they are going to check a few things for me (2003 GL1800O. Like the headlight adjustment feature..and load adjustment, not sure either work. Wonder if they're worth spending $ on to fix if they aren't? Of course they'll check fork seals etc.. It's got 38,000 miles on it.

Any thoughts? Recommendations for an upholsterer in Phoenix?

Enjoying my morning coffee hope everyone is enjoying their fall weather..

Clary
Phoenix, AZ
70 degrees!

See less See more
#2 ·
I find the foam in any stock Goldwing seat to be too soft and cutting it down would only make it feel like sitting directly on the seat pan. I would have it re-foamed with a denser foam so I wouldn't feel like i'm sitting on the seat pan

Reactions: Roadog
#3 ·
Hadn't crossed my mind as my experience on this GW is that of a newbie.

I'm open to suggestions, just trying to keep the costs down as I've been spending money on vacations lately like a drunken sailor (not offense to the U.S. Navy).

Anyone around Phoenix have an upholster recommendation?

Clary

#6 ·
I seem to remember that some time ago someone posted a link to an upholstery guy in the southwest that was very good and reasonable.

I will try to find it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Well, got 'er up on the center stand and thought I'd check out the pre load system.

I don't think it's working. Going to shop for brake recall, so I'll have them look at that too.

I can put my feet flat on the ground with bike off. I'm thinking when I start the bike, the pre load is raising it up cause I'm on my tip toes then.

The guy I bought it from was several inches taller than me and always rode two up. So guessing it's way up and I'll have to get system repaired so I can reset that to a lower position.

#9 · (Edited)
Well, got 'er up on the center stand and thought I'd check out the pre load system.

I don't think it's working. Going to shop for brake recall, so I'll have them look at that too.

I can put my feet flat on the ground with bike off. I'm thinking when I start the bike, the pre load is raising it up cause I'm on my tip toes then.

The guy I bought it from was several inches taller than me and always rode two up. So guessing it's way up and I'll have to get system repaired so I can reset that to a lower position.
Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
Have you pushed in and held the down arrow for the pre load system?

#14 · (Edited)
Wingsoft or Bike Solutions does that. I had my seat modified to sit me back a few inches. I know they do something to reduce the height also. http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/

I recently saw a Cruisman's video from Bike Solutions for modifying the 2018 seat. Same guy who did mine. I've had it for at least five years and still very happy with it.

Reactions: Roadog and budoka
#16 ·
I had my stock seat shaved on the sides on my 1500 way back when. It really helped. The guy did the work at Wing Ding 1997. He removed the necessary staples holding the seat cover to the seat pan (not all). Then with an electric knife (turkey carvery) he sliced enough to round the edge off. He did not carve any out of the seat bucket. Then he stretched the cover tightly back into position and re-stapled it.

#19 ·
Bike Solutions will be of no help for Roadog with a 2003. Quote from their web site says;

"As of 1 August 2018, I will no longer modify seats for the 2001-2010 model Goldwing"

So it appears he still needs to look elsewhere.

Reactions: Cantankerous
#20 ·
Well, that sort of bites...maybe there just wasn't enough business volume for him.

This post has been deleted
#27 ·
The stock seat on the 2018 works just fine. My advice is to trade in that old junker 2003 for the latest generation and your problems will all go away.
This is bad advise for the question asked. According to seat height specs on BikeZ.com the seat height on 2018 is 29.3" where as seat height on 2003 is 29.1". Making 2018 a 1/4" higher, he is looking for something lower. I have an '03 and have demo rode an '18, where as the '18 is a nice bike I much prefer the ride height (dark sided) and seat comfort of mine over the '18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.