Easy Brake or Clutch Bleeding Process - Honda Goldwing Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Easy Brake or Clutch Bleeding Process

Several times I have described this process to members. Finally decide to make a thread for the procedure. Trust me this works

Get a can/jar to use as discard fluid receiver, Put a few ounces of brake fluid in the can, Next get the brake bleeding hose hooked to bleeder and stick other end in said can, Open your reservoir on master cylinder and top off with clean fluid, open bleeder/keeping the open end of the hose under the fluid at all times start to pump the brake lever, As you pump it you will need to continue topping off reservoir.

You will see as you do this the air in the hose will move back and forth a bit until it starts to be forced out, eventually you will also see the nice clean fluid appear. Typically you can do this and use about a half a pint or so until you see no more bubbles. What you are doing is basically using your master cylinder as a pump.

The absolute most important thing is to not let the open hose come above the fluid.

As I said this is tried and trued used for years when I raced and never fails. We use this method at our Maintenance Day at my shop and even had one savvy mechanic Wing rider exclaimed after it was done......"That can't be all there is to it, it has to be more than that."

You can also use this method to bleed the clutch as well

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

Last edited by fossil92; 10-04-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 02:21 PM

Dang it man! Why didn't I see this BEFORE I bought my expensive bleeder?

Just a way faring stranger
IDMWT#85
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 01:03 PM

Yeah, I had one of those Mity Vacs and it really doesn't work as well as the old school method described above.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 01:44 PM
Now Fossil are you talking about doing this on each bleeder all the way around the bike? Isn't there a particular order they are suppose to be done in?

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, Beartooth Clan member, IDMWT #89, Geezer Gang #2, 2018 Beer Cap Champ
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 823Jim View Post
Now Fossil are you talking about doing this on each bleeder all the way around the bike? Isn't there a particular order they are suppose to be done in?

Yes Jim, at every bleeder.

Also there are particular orders as to which bleeder you open, but this process still remains the same. Models may be different order. I know a 1500 is different from an 1800 but again this process remains the same.

You can also use this to bleed the clutch.
dwade and 823Jim like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
Several times I have described this process to members. Finally decide to make a thread for the procedure. Trust me this works

Get a can/jar to use as discard fluid receiver, Put a few ounces of brake fluid in the can, Next get the brake bleeding hose hooked to bleeder and stick other end in said can, Open your reservoir on master cylinder and top off with clean fluid, open bleeder/keeping the open end of the hose under the fluid at all times start to pump the brake lever, As you pump it you will need to continue topping off reservoir.

You will see as you do this the air in the hose will move back and forth a bit until it starts to be forced out, eventually you will also see the nice clean fluid appear. Typically you can do this and use about a half a pint or so until you see no more bubbles. What you are doing is basically using your master cylinder as a pump.

The absolute most important thing is to not let the open hose come above the fluid.

As I said this is tried and trued used for years when I raced and never fails. We use this method at our Maintenance Day at my shop and even had one savvy mechanic Wing rider exclaimed after it was done......"That can't be all there is to it, it has to be more than that."

You can also use this method to bleed the clutch as well
this is how my daddy taught me to bleed brakes back when I was a kid
Limpy45 likes this.

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'11 GSA
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
moa
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 08:34 PM

Bought speed bleeders and seem to work well.
Limpy45 likes this.

You lips move but I can't hear what your saying

2014 GL1800 Audio Comfort Candy Red
2011 Vulcan Vaquero sold
2009 Vulcan 900LT sold
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
Yes Jim, at every bleeder.

Also there are particular orders as to which bleeder you open, but this process still remains the same.
Where can I find this bleeding order for a 1500?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 07:46 PM

Perhaps someone can shed some light for me, The last wing I had was about 10 years ago so I don't remember the rear brake being soft. On My new bike I find I really have to push hard on the rear brake to get any brake action is this normal or do I maybe have some air in the rear brake system? Bike is 2017 bought new last spring.
Thanks If I need to bread the brakes I sure know a good system now.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:58 PM

When I was prepping for this past summers trip, I bought the Speed Bleeders as well, I also hd pu tthem on the Magna when I had it. These stop the air from going back in. Just keep filling the reservoir and pump the brake handle until you see clean fluid.

I swapped out on the Magna myself, but on the wing I had Triumph Detroit do it for me. Great shop by the way, professional staff and competitive pricing. Will probably have them put the new tires on in the spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode