Help I have fire gas turns over but no start - Honda Goldwing Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jkmcdonald123
  • 1 Post By jkmcdonald123

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Help I have fire gas turns over but no start

85 goldwing limited sat for 9 months I’ve cleaned tank fuel filter replaced pump with a mr gasket cleaned injectors today I have spark and fuel at rails but can’t get more than a pop what do I do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 11:19 PM

To make sure that it is a fuel problem. Get some Start Ya Bastard and spray it straight into the airfilter/carbs. If it runs, you still have a fuel problem, if it doesn't run it is a electrical problem.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

I’m get a little 2 sec burst every now and then I’m thinking of having ole lady pull me in Jeep this morning

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 09:34 AM

1985 Limited FI -

Hey JW - I owned a 1986 SEi a few years ago which was a bit temperamental at times - especially if the battery wasn't fully charged. My 1983 Honda CX650 Turbo uses the same fuel injection system. Check the diagnostic error LED lights on the side of the computer to see if any sensors are being picked up as a problem.

Disconnect the battery ground - then remove, clean and reseat the computer's rectangular connector to make sure there is no surface contamination. An old toothbrush works great with some electrical pin cleaner. Jumper a car battery in parallel with the bike's battery to make sure there is a good voltage source to the computer and that the starter is spinning the motor over at a brisk RPM.

Make sure the connectors to the crank and cam position sensors are good. If the spark plugs are dry - remove the air cleaner element and carefully dump a couple of tea spoons of gas down into the intake to see if it's a fueling problem. Although you normally don't touch the throttle during a start - if the plugs are wet with fuel - during the next attempted start, crack the throttle open about halfway with the battery jumpered. Don't be too surprised if this step produces a major back fire which brings all the neighborhood dogs to a full fit of barks and howls.

Check the outside ambient air temp and intake air temp sensors for a good electrical connection. They can tell the computer to lengthen the injection pulse in error which can make the air/fuel mixture too rich to start.

Good Luck, Michael
NREMTP likes this.

Last edited by jkmcdonald123; 10-01-2018 at 09:44 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

So I got 2 big back fires this morning I haven’t checked all the connections yet but the computer has no writing glows green and that’s all still works the radio so working just no writing I’m going to attempt to pull off then if that doesn’t work start over
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Hey JW - Be very careful if you have the wife pull your bike with a vehicle. This has the potential for some expensive fairing damage if you dump her over not to mention an assortment of hand and knee injuries. Since you are beginning to see signs that the bike is trying to wake up - it sounds like you have spark and fuel with no computer error code LEDs. It would be best to continue using jumper cables and a car battery to get your bike started. I'm sure you have probably had the bike running previously but -

Here are a couple of procedural suggestions for a Normal Fuel Injection Start -
1 Fill bike with FRESH Gas - Stale fuel can cause all sorts of combustion problems
2 Inspect the Spark Plugs - Dry and Clean (New Are Best After Long Storage)
3 Leave Throttle Closed (Idle Position)
4 Check the Kill Switch (Right Hand Grip) is completely centered in RUN position -
5 Ignition Switch ON - 5 second count to allow the computer to look the bike over
6 Jumper fully charged bike battery with the car battery together -
7 Use Starter in 10 - 15 second bursts - 1 minute Rest Interval -
8 Ride Bike

Good Luck and Keep Us Posted - Michael
NREMTP likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 06:55 PM

1985 GW Limited -

Hey JW - Were you able to make any progress on your bike ? Did you get her to fire up and run ?

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode