2018 Wing Key Fob Battery warning. - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2018 Wing Key Fob Battery warning.

Havenít seen it mentioned anywhere yet, but I got a weird warning light today.

What makes it really weird is that it is 6 months to the day of ownership for me so I do not know if this warning is a timed warning or if it is a usage warning.

If it is usage, would that mean the key is always on/talking? Would that also mean that my spare is at the same battery level (6 mos talking)? Yes, I got a spare for the bike.

Anyone else get this warning yet? Iím looking to swap out the battery on Monday as Iím out of town now.

Thank you for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent with aloha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 04:50 AM

Don't have an 18 but on my SUV the key fob battery last three or four years. I would think the 18 key fob battery
would have similar life expectancy.
Chrisek likes this.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
. I would think the 18 key fob battery

would have similar life expectancy.

Iíve been automotive sales & service for over 15 years and would think the same. Unless that warning means something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent with aloha

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Garage
All I can remember from the training courses we did on the new Wings was the "what if the battery goes dead" procedures. I'll do a bit of digging and if I find something I'll let you know.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Garage
OK, so I went through the smart key section of the service manual. there is a reference to the battery for the smart key but no directive as to how to proceed. Argh. Lots of other technical stuff in there but nothing about that warning you posted the pic of. My guess is that it is a low battery indicator but I don't have a 2018 owners manual to see if there's a mention of it. No owner's manual on the dealer site either so I can't really say. Did you call your dealership?

edit: I called one of my dealer associates and he agrees that it is most likely the battery in the smart key. I also did find a manual on the web site and made copies of the battery replacement. Nothing likely anybody couldn't figure out but it does fall in line with what you posted for the warning. It's a standard 2032 battery so should find one just about any drug store, grocery store, or Walmart etc.
Page 173 of the owner's manual

[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

Last edited by budoka; 09-24-2018 at 01:56 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you Budoka, I also looked it up in the manual. Changed it out this morning, and you are correct, it is easy.

Iím happy to report the 2nd key does not make the low battery warning, so I am guessing the key talks to the bike as long as it is in range (?). Not sure what they are saying past ďok to turn onĒ, but whatever.

Sent with aloha
Jinx likes this.

Sent with aloha
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 03:29 PM

Just FYI - when not riding, you can press the center button on the fob and it will turn the key off. Red light shows it's being turned off and then shows when turned back on. Saves battery use.
budoka and Chrisek like this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRickels View Post
Just FYI - when not riding, you can press the center button on the fob and it will turn the key off. Red light shows it's being turned off and then shows when turned back on. Saves battery use.

Thank you J, I have never used any of the buttons on the fob, maybe it is time to start

Sent with aloha

Sent with aloha
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Garage
Duly noted and filed for future reference, thanks for that. For some reason I don't think that was covered in our training and delivery sessions. I mean, it's not like people my age start to forget stuff...

Daryl
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:02 PM

I recently also had this warning light come on in my 2018 Goldwing. Checking my jacket I found my fob
sitting next to my battery storage recharger in the same pocket. Moved them to seperate pockets
and immediately solved the problem. Hoep this helps, I also turn the fob off if not riding for a few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode