Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LED lights causing interference

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Chopin 
#1 ·
(gCaptain) The Coast Guard said it has received reports from crews, ship owners, inspectors and other mariners regarding poor reception on VHF frequencies used for radiotelephone, digital selective calling (DSC) and automatic identification systems (AIS) when in the vicinity of light emitting diode (LED) lighting on-board ships (e.g., navigation lights, searchlights and floodlights, interior and exterior lights, adornment)

Some info I ran into. Could this be some reason some people are having radio reception problems?

This is from Tech Talk on Cruising Compass #624. This is not the complete article. I'm not sure about copy right laws etc. to post the whole thing.

#2 ·
I can see it happening. Even the Sun with mess with satellite TV reception when get in direct line with the Satellite and the receiver. It only lasts a few minutes and only happen a couple times a years. It has to be a direct spot on alignment. That's in the 4 gig band..

#3 ·
Some LED light bulbs installed in garage door openers can cause range issues with the remote signal. The numerous I have run across, I replace them with an " old " style incandescent bulb and use their LED bulb in my home !

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
When I bought my new garage door opener, it stated in the instructions, not to use an LED bulb.

#8 ·
Yep, LEDs are DC.
Some switching power supplies can be and are very noisy.
They cram those inverters into the base of the bulbs. Size and costs over filtering.
I'm sure many of them only do the least amount of filtering necessary to satisfy the FCC rules, and probably many miss the mark and make it to market anyway.

The LEDs on our bikes may not have inverters since we're dealing with DC to start with, but high output and LED are not typically synonymous, so there's some boosting and cooling electronics in the headlight bulbs.

Noisy, maybe.

Take any old AM radio ( if you can find one) walk around your bike with the engine running and the lights on, see if it interferes with reception on the radio.

Whew! Where's the coffee?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Certain brands of LED bulbs are marked as "Garage Door Opener Compatible".

I bought the wrong ones first, of course (now in the house), and followed up with a brand on Amazon that reviews indicated were safe (and they were).

Reactions: Chopin
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.