Mail Order Madness - Honda Goldwing Forums
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By NREMTP
  • 2 Post By Cantankerous
  • 1 Post By robertshearon

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mail Order Madness

Bought a battery from Amazon for my other bike, a V Star 650.

It was a Kapsco brand.

It arrived with a bent terminal. I contacted the seller and sent them a picture. They replied that the damage was cosmetic and that my choices were to fix it myself or send it back to them and they would fix it and then send me back the same battery.

It took a bit of fixing, and the damage was beyond cosmetic, but I made it work. The hardware was non-standard, which really freaked me out. No reusing my old screws and nuts. Grr.

I got it on there, but I sent them a letter saying one of their products would never find its way into my Goldwing. I probably won't mail order another battery. If you buy from them, just be aware their customer service is a little sketchy. At least from my limited experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180820_125613.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	258215  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 11:08 PM

Garage
If you are within the 30 day return window with Amazon, request to send it back with the comment that it arrived damaged. You should get a refund and you can move on to a more ethical supplier.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. I didn't know I could do that. I've never returned anything from Amazon.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:19 AM

Garage
Some things you can, some things you can't. If the item is "Fulfilled by Amazon" you usually have a very generous customer service policy set. Otherwise, buying direct from vendors, even if over the Amazon platform, puts you more in the realm of each vendor's policy set.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers | IDMWT #97
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'd return it if possible, that looks like it was bent from the battery being dropped on it. There could be internal damage.
robertshearon and tamathumper like this.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 11:59 AM

I sent a few things back with no problems in fact, some of the things I just didn't like and they took it back and free returns.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, after they got my email about my extreme dissatisfaction they decided to send me a new battery. I suspect it is because Amazon monitors their emails. Whatever, I'll update when I get the replacement. I'm still reeling over the notion that the customer should have to fix a brand new item.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 12:44 PM

Garage
I understand and agree you should be concerned about that battery, it might have internal damage and that's a big safety issue.

Not so long ago, we might have been more tolerant as consumers, but I think Amazon (especially with Prime) has raised the bar to such an extent that many smaller vendors (selling independently or even through the Amazon platform) won't be able to keep up with consumers' expectations of low prices, rapid delivery, and no-fault customer service.

I think the no-fault customer service trumps the other two... I'll actually pay a little more for rapid delivery, or pay less while knowing it will arrive when it says it will, but I'm less inclined to lower my expectations on fair returns.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers | IDMWT #97
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Garage
Always check who the actual seller is. Often Amazon acts as a go between for sellers. I've had one issue with another non-Amazon merchant and Amazon stepped in and has a claim in process for me. Wasn't a big ticket item but they definitely went to bat for me.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The replacement battery arrived. The terminals appear intact. I will probably change it out later today. I sent Kapsco an email asking what to do with the old battery and they have not responded. I really regret deciding to go cheap on this. My excuse is I don't plan to keep the V Star much longer. It isn't much fun after riding the Goldwing. My wife (newlyweds at age 62) is nostalgic about it, so it may sit in the garage for a while. I ride it enough to the keep the carbs clean.
NREMTP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode