Considering an Upgrade to a 98 Aspencade - Honda Goldwing Forums
 9Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Considering an Upgrade to a 98 Aspencade

Hello Riders,

I currently have an 82 GL 1100. I am considering upgrading to a 98 Aspencade. Any concerns with this bike gnerally. I know you can't comment on the specific bike.

Thanks,

Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the GWOF from Pa., Bruce.

The 1500's are a rock solid, strong, comfortable, reliable platform. Have one myself. The fact that it is a 20 yr. old bike you will want to be sure some maintenance items were done, or factor in that you will need to do it. Such as timing belts, and fluids.

Many 1500's still on the road, also many with well over 100K on the clock, some with even more 200-300K and up.

If you need any other input just ask question, there are a great group of folks here.
Limpy45 likes this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I have heard that many guys prefer the 1500 over the 1800. Any thoughts? I am looking at a 02 1800 as well.
Limpy45 and golwang97.tang like this.

Last edited by BearsGrandpa; 07-24-2018 at 11:23 AM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsGrandpa View Post
Thanks, I have heard that many guys prefer the 1500 over the 1800. Any thoughts?
Wellllllll now..............

HAHAHA

I have a 1500 (love it) because that was all I wanted to spend on a bike (ours is triked). I have ridden 1800's and they are very sporty, yet comfortable, and reliable as well. There is always an instance where you can have a mechanical issue with any Wing, so if someone says " Don't buy this" just realize that the info may be emotionally given. I opted change my motor after 92,000 miles due to a bent shift fork rather than split the engine case and repair it.

To get back to your question. I do not prefer one to the other but to further complicate your query if I was to win the lottery (which I don't play), I would skip right over the 1800 of 2001-2017 (there was no 2011) and go right to the 2018 bike. I have ridden one of them also, and it is awesome.

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

FR #91

Last edited by fossil92; 07-24-2018 at 11:28 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
On the '02 just be sure all the recalls were performed.

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

FR #91
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 12:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Likes been said the GL 1500 is a strong reliable bike.
Limpy45 likes this.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:21 PM

Welcome to the forum, Bruce.

In very general terms, both are great choices. The 1500 has enough power to deal with long distance, heavy loads, mountains, etc. Its also more comfortable for the taller riders, 6ft+.

The 1800 is definitely the hot rod of the two. Its like a compromise between a 'Vette and a Mercedes. Taller riders often feel cramped because of the footpeg location, but that location is what lets the 1800 lean farther in the corners. Most riders will add highway pegs, back rests, bar risers......there is a variety ways to get more comfort, all the way up to a custom $1K seat. Other riders simply accept it and deal with it. Many riders really like the fuel injection on the 1800s.

If you're just looking for a safe comfortable ride from point A to point B, while carrying some luggage and maybe a passenger, the 1500 will probably satisfy. If you want all the latest tech and want to get to point B quicker, its the 1800. Don't get me wrong, you're not going to set new records on the Dragon, but those sport bike riding posers need to get out of the way.
If you keep up with the basic preventive maintenance, both bikes will last longer than either of us.

As the Fossil says, be patient and wait for the one that sings to you.
Limpy45 likes this.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:18 PM

Well I am in the same boat. I have a 1200 and will get a 1500/1800 in the near future. I am finding that here in Australia that the 1500's are almost the same price as the 1800's. So my question to myself is.......................why buy a 1500 for the same price as a 1800.
If I can get a really GOOD 1500, I would probably go with it.
Limpy45 likes this.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 03:55 PM

Garage
I would probably still be riding my 98se, but my wife said you should get a newer motorcycle...... so I did, stepped up to the 2nd gen in a 2013....... get it paid for..... and then retire.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 08:43 AM

Garage
Both are great bikes but the early 1800's had several recalls. The frame re-weld was one of them. Take tr\he VIN to a dealer and see if all the recalls have been completer. The 1500 are getting old and some parts or places to work on them might be hard to find. If you go for the 1500 ask when the timing belts , sub and cruise filter were changed. these next few things you should ask for the 1500 and 1800 both, has the fork oil and anti freeze ever been changed, look at the color of the clutch and brake fluid to see if they look fresh and not dark in color. If the bike has a trunk rack check for cracks around the mounting bolts, check all the witches and make sure they all work and do not stick. And ask if the seller has any maintenance records. Gold Wings are great bikes but you can get a bad one, just look at the teck forum on many sites and you will see that.
Limpy45 likes this.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode