My new 2017 BROKEN! - Page 5 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 26Likes

post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 06:20 PM

Engine Rebuild Status -

Hey Richie - Thank you for the update on the repair status of your new GW. There are quite a few riders from several sites following this thread very closely.

When one HD Road Glide owner had his Milwaukee-Eight 107 cubic inch engine fail in less than 1k miles, HD installed a new factory motor - immediately. No questions asked.

Surprisingly, it looks like the extended warranty you purchased turn out to be needed early - Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

BCIHIL,
Thanks for your input. I hate the idea of filing a law suit. This is just such a litigious society. I'll wait to see the bottom line when I get the bike back and what Honda is wiling to do in terms of compensation. I will definitely point out your idea that I bought a bike with a new Factory assembled engine, not rebuilt. Thanks.

Michael, I would hope that the factory warrantee, without the extension, would have covered a bike with 400 miles on it!

Richie
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liflyboy View Post
BCIHIL,
Thanks for your input. I hate the idea of filing a law suit. This is just such a litigious society. I'll wait to see the bottom line when I get the bike back and what Honda is wiling to do in terms of compensation. I will definitely point out your idea that I bought a bike with a new Factory assembled engine, not rebuilt. Thanks.

Michael, I would hope that the factory warrantee, without the extension, would have covered a bike with 400 miles on it!
Just remember, you will be getting a rebuilt engine. Hopefully they find everything that was damaged and repair it. A lot has to do with the tech doing the work. What about later on when things start to happen?
I had a 92 Ford truck that "soft block". Oil was getting into the antifreeze and antifreeze in the oil. 4300 miles, 7 months old. The dealer wanted to short block it. I got Consumer Protection involved along with Ford.
End result was a BRAND NEW engine and a free 6 year, 60,000 mile warranty.
Just my opinion.

2012 GL1800

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

I visited my motor at the dealership yesterday and had a nice conversation with the tech who's doing the work. He said there were a few parts that he wasn't sure were damaged/bent, so he erred on the side of caution, and replaced anything that he had any doubt about. WE can only hope that he didn't miss anything. He seems like a good guy who really wants to get this right, the first time.

Richie
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I visited my motor at the dealership yesterday and had a nice conversation with the tech who's doing the work. He said there were a few parts that he wasn't sure were damaged/bent, so he erred on the side of caution, and replaced anything that he had any doubt about. WE can only hope that he didn't miss anything. He seems like a good guy who really wants to get this right, the first time.
Sounds as though you have a good tech and dealership. With my truck I was not that fortunate.
Good luck and I hope it all works out well.

2012 GL1800
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

I GOT IT BACK!!!

6 weeks in the shop, 2000 miles on the loaner and I GOT IT BACK!!

Picked it up Friday night. Found one drop of oil on the garage floor Saturday morning, but no more since, so no big deal. It feels like new! I still have to see what the dealership or Honda is going to do for me, money wise, but at least it's running, and I was able to 1) ride it every day this weekend, and 2) install some of the electronics that I need.

YAY!!!

Richie
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 03:13 PM

Hopefully you will be trouble free from now on.

2012 GL1800
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Latest update: Honda wants my dealer to tear down the entire engine, not just the right side that they already have. It will take at least 2 weeks, while they order tools for the job, and get it done. Once again, I'm not at all pleased. The dealer is really trying to help, but HONDA is being a pain in the neck. I talked to HONDA customer support this morning, with the case number the dealer gave me. They say there's nothing they can do. They have no spare engines to give me. They have to be 100% sure that whatever caused the problem will not happen again.

You'd think I'd be happy about driving a new 2018, but I'm not. I love the bike, except for the driving position. The dealer did install a back rest for me, but the bars are still to low and too far forward. Problem is, I can't do any modifications, or add the accessories I need, so I have:

No place to mount my GPS or Phone,
No passenger arm rests, so my wife can't ride with me,
No trunk rack, so I don't have anywhere to carry the extra clothes we need for a trip we planned for this weekend.
No trailer hitch.
No road pegs for me or her.
No drink holders.
No CB. I rode with SCRC yesterday, and had NO communication!
No Air Wings.

If I had MY new bike, I'd have all this stuff already installed and I'd be happy. I DON'T, so I'm NOT.

Thanks for reading my vent.
Oh What a Sacrifice to ride a new 2018 on a trip.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:05 PM

At 70 years old and retired my 2005 is all I can afford.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 06:20 AM

Well, maybe it's time to talk about Honda buying back the bike. Since they are so concerned about the problem happening again, sounds as though aren't sure at all if they can even fix the problem. Not your dealer, but Mother Honda. If the dealer sent the defective parts back, they may have discovered some other potential flaws. That would worry me down the line. "Can you even trust the second repair"?

Seems strange that they have no spare engines only 1 year out of production.

2012 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode