My new 2017 BROKEN! - Page 4 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 26Likes

post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:05 PM

Money's Worth -

Hey Richie - With Honda's reputation for quality and reliability there has to have been a serious issue involved to produce such a major catastrophic failure with your 2017 GW in only 400 miles. From years of experience building 911 Porsche engines for the track and personal cars, their timing chains/gears/hydraulic pressure tensioners and guide ramp design has proven to be bullet proof - EXCEPT for when an engine is reved way past it's safe RPM red line. Honda's set up is virtually identical.

I realize that I don't have a dog in this hunt but there is no way of knowing if some over eager Gomer Pyle didn't miss a shift during a demo-test ride or just horsing around didn't pull a series of Mario Andretti runs between red lights. (Although he was a world famous Grand Prix driver - Mario often bragged that the motorcycle tires on his personal bikes never lasted more than a few weeks).

After Honda repairs your basic timing chain issue, the internal wear and tear on everything else may not show up for many miles. Just for peace of mind if I'd plunked down $22k, Honda should swap out the drive train to assure that I got my money's worth.

Ride Safe - Michael
French Camp Natchez Trace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RSCN0362.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	257667  
Jinx likes this.

Last edited by jkmcdonald123; 07-30-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
I know how you feel . I will be taking my 2017 gl1800 in this winter to have the engine torn down so they can find out what is wrong with the reverse. I did get them to hold off until winter, but no loaner.
My Wife had that problem with her 2015 Goldwing. You could not put it in neutral so you could use the reverse gear. They tore it down and it has been fine for 2 years.

2010 Honda Goldwing, Grey, Navi, ABS, Highway Boards, Back Rest. Passenger Arm Rests.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liflyboy View Post
Lemon Law is when you have the same problem 3 times and it's not fixed, or recurs. I'm pretty sure it applies to all motor vehicles, including bikes. Let's hope it doesn't go that far!!

I don't know how easy it would be to find a leftover 2017, in RED, to replace the bike, but, unfortunately, that's not the way warranties work. There is no recourse except to get it fixed, even if it had 1 mile on it and I was driving out of their driveway.
PA Lemon Law
PROCEDURES
The Pennsylvania Automobile Lemon Law applies to any new vehicle purchased or leased and registered in
Pennsylvania or purchased or leased elsewhere and registered for the first time in the
commonwealth for personal, family or household use including a vehicle used by a manufacturer or dealer as a demonstrator or
dealer vehicle prior to its sale and designed to transport up to 15 persons.
Motorcycles, motor homes, and off road vehicles are not included

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

California is a little different. I found this:

• The manufacturer or its agents have made two or more
attempts to repair a warranty problem that results in a
condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily
injury if the vehicle is driven;
• The manufacturer or its agents have made four or more
attempts to repair the same warranty problem; or
• The vehicle has been out of service for more than 30
days (not necessarily all at the same time) while being
repaired for any number of warranty problems; or
• The problems are covered by the warranty, substantially
reduce the vehicle’s use, value, or safety to the consumer
and are not caused by abuse of the vehicle;
• If required by the warranty materials or by the owner’s
manual, the consumer has to directly notify the
manufacturer about the problem(s), preferably in writing.
The notice must be sent to the address shown in the
warranty or owner’s manual (for bullets 1 and 2).

There's a lot more to it, but that's the overview.

Richie
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Also, California excludes Motorcycles that are NOT registered for the road.

• “New Motor Vehicle” does not include:
- Any portion of a motor home designed, used, or
maintained primarily for human habitation; or
- A motorcycle or a motor vehicle which is not
registered under the Vehicle Code because it is to be
operated or used exclusively as an off-road vehicle.

Implying that road bikes are covered.

Richie
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:07 PM

That is CA. That is not PA. You said most states I think you are wrong and I gave you my state I am sure I can find other states that don't include motorcycles in their Lemon Laws.

And you are right CA is different very different.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
George Bernard Shaw

post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Indeed! VERRY DIFFERENT!! lol

Richie
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Just in case you thought you'd never see any more in this thread, here's an update.

It's now been over a month (5 weeks - yesterday) since the engine died on my new 2017 GL1800 with 400 miles on it.

The dealer gave me a new (2 miles) 2018 to use while mine was in the shop. It now has 1500 miles on it.
They tore down the right side, sent pics, etc, and Honda told them to tear down the left side. They ordered all the new parts to put the motor back together, and during the process of putting it together have discovered that some of the parts came in bent. Lucky they noticed. They also discovered, later in the process that they should have ordered replacements for the "one time use" parts. Another delay. At this point, they are hoping to have the bike finished, and tested by the end of this week. They made the same process for the last few weeks.

I have to say that the dealer has tried very hard to keep me happy during this frustration, but Honda works very slowly. I understand that they have probably never had an engine die in 400 miles, and that they want to fix it so it never happens again, but I think they could have worked a lot faster to be me back on the road with MY bike. Maybe just replacing the engine altogether, or sending a Honda mechanic to help with the teardown, diagnosis, reassembly might have sped the process along.

Also, on another subject, I love the 2018, but would love it more if I could put some accessories on it. For me, now, it's uncomfortable, without the handle bar extenders, or the road pegs. I can't put my wife on it, because it has the Honda backrest, and she can't get her leg over it. It also doesn't have arm rests of cup holders, or phone/cb mounts, or a trunk rack, CB. There are more, but you get the idea.

This makes me very glad I bought the extended warrantee, which I DON'T usually do on something known to be SOOOO reliable.

Richie
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 03:05 PM

I also bought the extended warranty for my 2006. Like you that was the first and only time I had bought an extended.
Didn't use it until 130,000 miles but was glad I had it. i easily made money on that one.

With the 2017 I now have I will be buying the extended warranty because I don't trust the quality of this bike .

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
George Bernard Shaw

post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:15 PM

i think i would be proceeding with legal action against HONDA. Lemon law or not, this was a brand new vehicle with a major factory defect. Contact your states attorney general office and file a complaint.
Honda should be buying that bike back!!
Not the dealer, but Mother Honda.

There are a lot of leftover 2017's out there. Honda should find one and replace yours.

You didn't buy a bike with a rebuilt engine.
dsurley and 823Jim like this.

2012 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode