Upgrading and gear questions - Honda Goldwing Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Upgrading and gear questions

1.) is there a such thing as a pair of off brand summer pants with armor that are inexpensive but still provide protection? I've bought regular Joe Rocket pants and they would be way too hot.

2.) Airhawk cushions-is this really the best of the best when it comes to making the ride more comfortable? What model/size would work on an '89 GL 1500?

3.) Do you recommend (not sure if this is what they are called) throttle devices to reduce strain on hands? If so, what brand?

4.)Is there a way to install a power charger, whether USB or cigarette lighter type in an '89 GL 1500?

5.)What is a reasonable option for switching to LED lights with a kit or increasing the power of the lights but switching to a different light bulb other than the standard one that is used on the bike?

6.) How do you deal with a passenger who is afraid we are going to get into an accident on the bike. I'm going to teach her how to work with me on curves and such but she's got this idea in her head about something bad happening.

That's all for now! Thank you. :-)

Last edited by Pamtha; 07-18-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamtha View Post
1.) is there a such thing as a pair of off brand summer pants with armor that are inexpensive but still provide protection? I've bought regular Joe Rocket pants and they would be way too hot. Try Cycle Gear's Bilt brand.

2.) Airhawk cushions-is this really the best of the best when it comes to making the ride more comfortable? I have tried other types and they don't work for me.

3.) Do you recommend (not sure if this is what they are called) throttle devices to reduce strain on hands? If so, what brand? Doesn't your 1500 have cruise control?

4.)Is there a way to install a power charger, whether USB or cigarette lighter type in an '89 GL 1500? Yes, and tie it to the Acc. fuse.

5.)What is a reasonable option for switching to LED lights with a kit or increasing the power of the lights but switching to a different light bulb other than the standard one that is used on the bike? No opinion, sorry.

6.) How do you deal with a passenger who is afraid we are going to get into an accident on the bike. I'm going to teach her how to work with me on curves and such but she's got this idea in her head about something bad happening.Valium, or a good swift kick in the rear!

That's all for now! Thank you. :-)
See responses in red.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 01:17 PM

Garage
#1 There are several brands of mesh textile protective gear that breath very well, better than denim.
#2 It works exceptionally well for me as long as I don't over fill it. It takes surprising little air to get the best ride.
#3 Called throttle rockers. I just use the cruise control.
#6 Something bad might happen, but that applies to essentially any activity - it is part of life. People even get killed on roller coasters once in a while. Promise her that you will not try to jump the Grand Canyon (at least while she is riding with you). Let her know that you take reasonable precautions like you would for any activity (like jogging in the park, going shopping, buying something off of the internet, etc).
Pamtha likes this.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it does have cruise control and so I asked some people what the point would be of using something like that. I was told it would reduce hand fatigue. So, I was wondering if anyone else with cruise control uses these.

Valium or a a good swift kick in the rear...decisions, decisions... ;-)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You set the cruise control on flat open highway and the bike rolls along at the set speed.
Every time I planned a vacation and invited either a friend or family member whether by car or trike, it was always a disaster and that ain't no lie. My suggestion is if they're afraid is to leave that person home and not be in a wreck. Have you ever thought of having a vacation where you can enjoy peace and have time to yourself? I'm not being mean, I'm just being honest.

IDMHT#1
Go Navy!
Retired trike builder/motorcycle tech.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamtha View Post
Yes, it does have cruise control and so I asked some people what the point would be of using something like that. I was told it would reduce hand fatigue. So, I was wondering if anyone else with cruise control uses these.

Valium or a a good swift kick in the rear...decisions, decisions... ;-)
My 1800 has cruise but does not work at speeds less than 25 mph then I use the palm throttle to reduce hand fatigue. Here is an example:
http://wingstuff.com/products/33008-...?from_search=1

On the rider - take her on small trips first and build up the confidance.

Good luck
Pamtha likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Air Hawks work well but like has been said they take very little air for comfort.

A few words to help your passenger be a little more comfortable. I
1. In curves DO NOT LOOK DOWN AT THE ROAD !!!!!!
2. DO NOT MAKE ANY SUDDEN MOVES, especially in curves.
3.When in a Left turn/curve and the bike leans to the left, simply tip your head to look over the riders right shoulder just you head not your whole body, this helps make the passenger feel more up right, In Right turns/curves tip you head to the left and look over the riders left shoulder.

Also if your wrist get sore or tired you might want to re-adjust the handle bar position to fit you.

Passenger arm rest can also add to their sense of security
Pamtha likes this.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5

Last edited by Ron Robertson; 07-18-2018 at 07:43 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

#3: is a throttle boss or throttle rocker, I have a throttle boss on my wing and a throttle rocker on the Mighty ST 1300. I hardly ever use the cruise control on the wing the throttle boss works great
#4: I wired my power outlet direct to the battery so I can charge my phone without the ignition being on
#6: don't take a passenger, the way you describe yours it puts both of you in danger
budoka and Pamtha like this.

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'11 GSA
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
moa
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Garage
As far as the passenger goes, a "Nervous Nellie" makes for an accident looking for a place to happen...it's contagious even for a very good rider. I'd forgo the pillion rider if that's the case, don't need the stress or aggravation.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 09:53 PM

A Couple of Suggestions -

Hey Pam - There are lots of experienced long distance riders on this site. I'll add a couple of comments that you might consider -

1 I realize they do not provide much protection but in temps above 90 degrees I usually just wear my favorite loose fitting jeans. Both you and your passenger could stand up on the pegs on occasion to air out (Just NOT at the same time).

2 Seat cushions are a matter of personal preference but I usually just buy a USED sheep skin seat cover off Ebay (Mercedes/Porsche - owners hate a worn place on their side bolster and often sell a $150 full size genuine sheep skin for $20)- cut out the worn portion leaving a generous rectangular shape. Take the GW seat off and sew the slack edges of the sheep skin in a criss-cross pattern on the underside using heavy nylon fishing line. I've never had one come loose and they feel great to me. You can also buy a very inexpensive used set of Seat Beads to cut down as well. They are surprisingly comfortable on a long haul.

To avoid another unexpected dump over in a parking lot - I always modify the kick-stand foot a bit so it doesn't sink into any soft ground. The added "Duck-Foot" (?) is simply two pieces of heavy aluminum bolted together to increase the diameter of the bottom of the kick-stand base.

3 On many early 1500 GW's their cruise control option never did work well for me - so I'd fall back to using both a Mechanical Locking style device and a Wrist-Rest device. The Mechanical Locking device simply pinches or squeezes the right throttle control to hold it in position when you push down on the locking lever. It can be quickly released by flicking the lever up or just over ride the friction lock by simply rotating the throttle. Mine is pictured at the far end of my throttle control.

The Wrist-Rest is simply a "C" shaped piece of plastic that is attached to the very end of your throttle control. I use this as my cruise control most of the time. They are around $10 but I made one from a piece of PVC pipe (slightly larger than the diameter of throttle) with about 1/2 cut away. A little glue and a couple of small wood screws drilled into the end ring of the throttle control permanently attaches it. Install the Wrist-Rest with it's extended arm approximately level with the ground. This will allow you to completely release your right hand grip and hold the bikes speed steady by resting your palm/wrist at a surprisingly comfortable mile eating position.

I also added a pair of new cushioned foam sleeves over the original handle bar grips for extra padding. The dual layers of foam will provide nice oversized cushioned grips which really feels great.

4 A power phone, gps, gizmo charger can be added very easily by tying into any +12 source. One Red wire with a fuse is attached to battery voltage and one Black wire to ground. Any necessary internal voltage conversion needed is handled inside the coupler you buy.

5 Adding some LED lights is also pretty straight forward. I like the (Dual Mode) LED Running/Flashing Lights for safety. Mode 1= Both LED Lights are On Steady For general Traffic Intersection Attention or To Light the Way At Dusk. Mode 2 = Both LED Lights Flash Alternately for "Look Out Ethel sitting at a Stop Sign - Don't Run Over Me". The Dual Mode LED lights will require a fused three position toggle switch On/Off/On.

6 It may take a few miles before a new passenger feels comfortable on the back of a bike. You might make a few shorter trial runs first. Just give yourself lots of cushion in traffic and make sure to take it easy when accelerating and braking. When my wife accompanied me on my 1500 I would communicate A LOT to make sure she knew everything was OK. As far as banking into a curve - I had my wife always just stay relaxed and sit up straight throughout. With you handling the tipping angle - it will give both you and your passenger a reliable, smooth controlled and consistent amount of lean every time. Like others have already mentioned, if your passenger doesn't feel comfortable at this early stage of ridding - perhaps a later trip would be best for them.

Ride Safe - Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1003.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	257241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1005.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	257243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	257245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0425.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	257247  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode