Upgrading and gear questions - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 5Likes

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 08:25 PM

Peace of Mind -

Hey Pam - I can remember a similar situation with my daughter the 1st time she rode behind me. She was both excited and frightened but willing to try it because I took things in small bites. To begin with I always played a selection of great traveling music - my favorites still include "Born to Be Wild". I know, I know that's from way back when Custer was a corporal.

Remind her to look off at the distant mountains as you travel and how life is an adventure. You might mention that a sailing ship is safe and secure in a protective harbor but staying in port was never what a sailing ship was meant to do. Assign her to be the one to give a "Thumbs Up" to all the other motorcycles and enjoy the envious looks of the kids in the cars.

Of course don't rush things - you'll be the best judge of whether your daughter is ready for a trip or not. For your peace of mind - remember that you never see a motorcycle parked outside a therapists office.

Ride Safe - Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:07 AM

You've gotten loads of good information above. Regarding #2, I've tried beads, sheepskin, gel pads, and an Airhawk. The Airhawk definitely works best for me but you may not find the same. A beaded cover made from a cheap beaded car seat cover is a nice change sometimes, especially in heat where it lets a little air flow between you and the seat, and in rain as it elevates you out of the rainwater sitting on the seat. And as for #3 yes - I would recommend some kind of a throttle aid even with cruise control. I use a 'Cramp Buster' myself. There are lots of places such as in the mountains where you can't really use the cruise control because of constant speed changes and that's where the cramp buster is nice to have.

Best of luck with the first extended ride. Will be watching for a report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamtha View Post
1.) is there a such thing as a pair of off brand summer pants with armor that are inexpensive but still provide protection? I've bought regular Joe Rocket pants and they would be way too hot.

2.) Airhawk cushions-is this really the best of the best when it comes to making the ride more comfortable? What model/size would work on an '89 GL 1500?

3.) Do you recommend (not sure if this is what they are called) throttle devices to reduce strain on hands? If so, what brand?

4.)Is there a way to install a power charger, whether USB or cigarette lighter type in an '89 GL 1500?

5.)What is a reasonable option for switching to LED lights with a kit or increasing the power of the lights but switching to a different light bulb other than the standard one that is used on the bike?

6.) How do you deal with a passenger who is afraid we are going to get into an accident on the bike. I'm going to teach her how to work with me on curves and such but she's got this idea in her head about something bad happening.

That's all for now! Thank you. :-)

2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode